Compressor Help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2004, 08:10 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Compressor Help

Hey guys. I am having trouble with looking for a compressor. I restore old cars for fun and I am looking to upgrade my 30 gal sears compressor. I want the larger compressor because I will be painting a few cars a year. I am using a DeVilbiss Finishline spray gun. I know I want at least a 60 gal unit, belt driven and I would love it to be two stage. However, finances dictate other. So I only have $500.00 to spend. I was set on the Puma at Harbor Freight lots of CFM and in the right price range $500.00. Well, Sears is having a special and has a 60 gal two stage compressor for $435.00. The only thing is that is not belt driven and the CFM's are lower than I expected. I have listed links for each compressor below. Based on my usage (painting, etc) requirements what do you guys suggest. Unless you have another suggestion. I just want to get one. I am tired of looking around.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=34887

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00 916561000&tab=spe#tablink

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2004, 09:55 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Compressor choice

Given that you have wished for the belt driven style I think that you will be much happier with the one from harbor freight..Sometimes it is worth it to spend just a few bucks more and get exactly what you need/want..

my 2 cents..

OMT
Old 11-24-2004, 08:23 AM
Last photo:

Do not go with direct drive, it will drive you out of the shop unless you wear earplugs. The only concerne I have about the HF compressor is parts availibility.

Vince
Old 11-27-2004, 07:25 PM
Old enough to know better

Being as how it's Christmas season, there are a lot of sales for the next couple of weeks so keep your eyes open for all the ads.
Also check out

http://www.eatoncompressor.com/page/page/504413.htm

They seem to have good compressors at good prices.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:48 AM

There are a lot of outfits that are trustworthy sellers that have a good selection of air compressors.

Here's a couple more:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...00&StartRow=21

http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_s...:-32144:649926

My brother is a bodyman/painter, and he bought that last one there from Sams Club...it serves him real well. You can't argue with free shipping! It'll just cost you a $35 membership!

Bottom line...the more time you have to look, the more you'll find...

Rick
Old 12-27-2004, 02:05 PM

Last photo:

Finally Narrowed It Down To 3 Compressors

Hi guys it seems like every time I make a decision on buying a new compressor another variable gets thrown in. But I think I have it narrowed down to 3 choices. Please take a look at the links below and let me know what you think. The CFM is basically the same in all three(Eaton is a little higher). But price is the biggest consideration and Harbor Freight is the least expensive. But will it last as long or be as strong at the others. I will be using it for painting about 2-3 cars a year light body work and mechanics tools. I am not a heavy user but my new craftsman 33 gal 5.5 doesn't cut it. It's a great compressor just not big enough. Anyone interested?

Another consideration is freight I don't have to pay for freight at Lowes or Harbor Freight I do at Eaton. I would like to have a two stage but I can't go that high. In my opinion I think the Lowes unit is the best all aroung compressor for features and price. I value all of the opinions on this board so please give me what ever you can.

Also, if you think you know of a better compressor some where else please let me know that also. Thanks in advance for all of your help.

http://www.eatoncompressor.com/catal...747/172983.htm

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3848

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...49-1126-DP4615

Last edited by daveh; 12-28-2004 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:15 PM

Last photo:

You want to stay with the cast iron pumps. I have had several aluminum/cast iron sleeve pumps and they leak/pump oil. One was so bad (new) it used all it's crankcase oil in less than a month. Just caught it in time!
Old 12-28-2004, 01:48 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the comments. So are you saying forget the Harbor Freight compressor?

Anyone else have any comments? I would love your input on what to get.

Dave
Old 12-28-2004, 03:11 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Daveh....did the article that I sent you ever make it through? Just curious.

Kevin
Old 12-28-2004, 08:07 PM

Last photo:

Kevin,

No I never got it and I didn't want to be a bother and keep on bugging you. I appreciate the effort.

Dave
Old 12-28-2004, 08:48 PM

Last journal entry: Flamethrower trial
Last photo:

Re: Finally Narrowed It Down To 3 Compressors

Quote:
Originally posted by daveh
I am not a heavy user but my new craftsman 33 gal 5.5 doesn't cut it. It's a great compressor just not big enough. Anyone interested?
I might be. what's your price and where are you located?
Old 12-28-2004, 09:08 PM
suck, squeeze, bang, blow

Last journal entry: finally reeled it in
Last photo:

If those were my choices I would go with the three cylinder all cast pump. I have a similar compressor and it runs all my air tools and paints a few cars a year. I've been using it for blasting lately, (big compressor broke down) but it's a little small for that. Body tools like DA's are very air hungry, you better be able to feed them or you're wasting another day in the garage waiting for the compressor.
I have seven compressors, all but two of them too small for the reason they were purchased, (try and save a buck and end up spending three). I would also agree to stay away from aluminum pumps. They throw oil. O.K. for lubing air tools, lousy for paint. Unless you have an incredible filtration system (I have five filters inline and it still isn't enough) oil will eventually make it into the paint.
When hooking up the compressor make sure you are within the manufacturers specs for the wiring gauge and breaker(s) amperage, including the losses due to the distance from the panel.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:36 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

DaveH...I wished you had bugged me. I was going back thru my e-mails yesterday and found about 9 that I THOUGHT I had sent but never got sent. For some reason, when I got hooked up to RoadRunner intrernet service it changed my Outlook mail service, so I have Outlook and Outook Express. When Ireplied to your e-mail it sent it thru Outlook and not the Outlook Express and it was sitting in my Outbox to be sent. So I want to apologize to everyone that was waiting for a reply. Daveh... I will send that to you now. I tried it yesterday and it says it was sent but if I look at the Outbox it says it is still there. So don't be surprised if you get multiples.

Kevin
Old 01-05-2005, 06:47 PM

puma compressor

If there is one in your area, you should look into a Puma. They are solid cast iron. I have the three cylinder single stage model. It has enough air for my hvlp gun and I think it will run my DA just fine as well. Good luck on your selection. I know it is a big investment. I spent the extra for the three cylinder because it was only $130 more. Once you get into that price range, another hundred or so is no big deal. Go for the biggest you can afford and then some. You won't be sorry. A good compressor is something that should sufficiently run all of your air tools for many years. Consider how long you want this tool to last and spend enough to get it. In a year, you will forget about how hard it was to spend that money. But if you get the cheaper, smaller one, in a year you still won't be happy.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:29 PM

I recently bought the three cylinder Puma from a local farm and home store for $500. It is awesome. I highly recommend it. I did a lot of research on compressors. You definately want one that is cast iron, belt driven, oil. Stay away from anything aluminum, direct drive, or oilless. Good luck in your decision.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.