Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Compressor location
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2009, 09:46 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtinla
Mine is in an uninsulated, closed in, "lean to" outside. I put a switched receptacle to control it from the inside and piped it with std PVC and a HF water/trap regulator ($20) and plugged it in. Works great...

-=Fred=-
Outside in a little bump out room with a sloping roof would be the best. If you live in a freeze prone area I would insulate the room. Moisture collecting in the line as it leaves the compressor could freeze and cause the line to split especially if you did not use it for a few days during a hard freeze. As for PVC I would not use it. I have been told not to use it and I did any way only to have it split and blow out with out any kind of a warning. PVC pipe is great for water and CPVC is great for hot water. Even though the pressure rating is there you have to take in account for the heat factor of compressed air. As the temperature rises both PVC and CPVC drops in pressure rating exponentially. The couple of times that I had a blowout I looked at all of the splinters and bits and pieces scattered all around the shop and thought man if I or one of my workers had been standing close by a piece of it could have gone in their eye or something. As soon as I was able I replaced all of it with galvanized pipe.

Chris