Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Compressor motor burns up
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 09:46 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53streetrod
Thanks for the help Boatbob2 any help is welcome and appreciated. from what i am being told I.R made this motor specifically for this compressor and another motor wont just bolt on. O and did i mention they want $484.88 for that pile of sh_t replacement motor. Thanks again and i will look into buying a new compressor for the price of a motor, i would be better off to just buy a whole new compressor.

Almost all electric motors use an industry standard mounting plate of one size or another but even if that motor is an odd pattern it still should be no trouble to mount. You may have to drill a few holes and maybe even change the belt and/or the pulley but all that is simple enough.

$484.88 for that little Emerson motor? Wow, they use a Harbor Freight quality motor and want to charge industrial prices for it? That's an insane price for that motor and you can certainly get a "real" motor for that much!

Don't know if these guys have anything you can use right now or not, their inventory is constantly changing so you might want to call their tech help line and see what they can do for you.

www.surpluscenter.com

When looking for a motor be skeptical of the the HP rating! Go by the AMP rating which should be at least 21 to 23 AMPS or more, a 15 AMP 5 HP motor is NOT really 5 HP! Motors are still being sold as "special" (for instance 5 HP "Special") that only produce about 1/2 their rated HP, if it is 21 AMPs or more it will be fine. Also bear in ind that some of these heavy duty motors turn at half the speed of others so depending on which motor you get you may need to change the motor pulley but that is no problem at all. If you call Surplus center's help line those guys are very knowledgeable and even if they don't have what you need on hand they can steer you in the right direction.