Compressor motor burns up - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2008, 07:49 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks....I called the number that was on my manual, but it was to late to catch anybody today.If I don't get a reply to my message tomorrow I'll try your numbers.
My compressor has been unbolted for a year and it hasn't moved until this motor incident. It was only suppose to be in the garage temporarily until I got a roof over my shop slab.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2008, 08:20 AM

Last photo:

Ingersoll Rand sucks!

Just got off the phone with Steven at IR. No dice for me.He says 12 months is 12 months.I bought the IR brand with the false illusion that it was better quality than the $329 Campbell Hausfield I bought at TSC 10 years ago. I guess I was wrong.I put a lot more hours on that compressor than I did this one.Can't say that I would recommend this brand to anyone now. Just go buy 3 of the cheap ones and use them until they die. Never buy another Ingersoll Rand or Emerson motor.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:14 PM

Last photo:

Same defect with my IR

I have the two stage IR model 5hp motor. I took next week off to paint my dune buggy. Today the f'n motor quit on me. I disconnected the belt to see if something was wrong with the compressor part. It starts up runs for about 5 seconds and trips the fuse and the motor gets hot. I have a problem someone mentioned with the hiss when the compressor turns off. How do I fix that? I haven't owned a big compressor before so I paid a lot to hopefully get quality. Last thing I wanna do is f' around with a compressor, I've got enough other projects!!! So to date I installed the compressor Jan 07. So this is its second summer of use. Erg!!! -Mike
Old 08-30-2008, 07:38 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugog
I have a problem someone mentioned with the hiss when the compressor turns off. How do I fix that?

You need to describe your problem.

A problem with that unloader system can indeed cause motor failure and in fact is one of the most common causes of early failure.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:05 PM

Last journal entry: 52 Chev Panel Baskett Case
Last photo:

There should be a hiss when the compressor shuts off, but it only lasts a couple seconds while the pressure in the head is released. That is the purpose of the unloader valve.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:26 PM

Last photo:

Okay, so the his for a second when stopping is fine. The problem I am having is that i turn it on and about 5 seconds or less after starting it shuts off blowing the fuse in the house. Hmmmn maybe its the fuse is bad? I unhooked the belt and it ran for about 5 seconds and blew the fuse again. So its not the load of the compressor.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:37 PM

Last photo:

Sounds like your motor is ********d time to buy a good one.....Sorry
Old 08-30-2008, 09:00 PM

Last photo:

Really?

You think that's it - if it runs shortly and shuts off after 5 seconds? The motor doesnt' feel super warm either. I would think if the motor was shot it would heat up and then freeze up right? Anyways just hoping... it was 88 degrees here today, pretty hot for michigan.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:38 PM

Last photo:

It's when you don't get that hiss or it does not stop after a couple of seconds that you have problems. What you are hearing is the unloader releasing the pressure from the pump so that it will not have to start under a load when the motor kicks on.

You could check all your wiring from the pressure switch to the motor for a short but if it is tripping the breaker with the belt off the motor is almost certainly history. I just mentioned in a thread yesterday after looking at one of these compressors that the motor seemed really light duty for a pump that size.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:04 AM

Last photo:

Ingersol Rand burnt motor 1.5 years later

Does anyone know of a replacement motor that will replace it and I can find somewhat readily available? I'd hate to replace this motor with the same piece of sh*. I need to get this thing painted next week... Thanks for your help. -Mike
Old 08-31-2008, 08:34 AM

Don't know where you are in Michigan, if in SE Mi. check with ReNu Electric in Detroit. South of 8mile on Dequindre, they carry all major brands of motors, any size. Tom F.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:25 PM

Last photo:

motor replaced

follow up... replaced motor and that was the cause. Never ever going to buy ingersol rand again. Ridiculous to have to drop 230 on a new motor. Couldn't reuse the pulley and the aftermarket motor had different bolt sizes that barely fit the IR tracks. It just ran and brought my compressor up to full psi. I bought a 2 year warranty on the motor, which is probably not to worthwhile if you have to pay shipping both ways (and if they send you a remanufactured one?) Anyways fixed. Thanks for your help. -Mike
Old 08-31-2008, 06:41 PM

Last photo:

Glad to here you are back up and running. It is a real pain when you can't get your work done due to crappy products.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:27 PM

Last journal entry: Sweet Looking Dash
Last photo:

Mine burned up on Sunday - While I was in the garage. I was blameing myself, as I left the hose on the compressor over night - (Sat Night into Sunday) and figured it was super cold Sat night which probably caused a strain to start on Sunday. When I found the tank low, I noticed the Circuit kicked on the motor - Pushed the red botton - kicked off, I walked abouto 10feet away and it had already stopped and was smoking.

I will give IR a call, as this is probably less than 18 months old (Not sure if it was a spring 07 or fall 07 purchase)

Mine was also the TSC with the Emerson IR# 54421193 motor.

If I wanted to replace it with a good motor - anyone got a reco?

Clark
Old 01-31-2009, 05:12 PM

Last photo:

37, Don't blame yourself it was not anything you did that caused this. Leaving the hose hooked up (I am assuming you had a slight leak) would have simply caused the compressor to cycle on/off and should not have hurt a thing. The bad news is these compressors are becoming known for this problem and I have heard of two more since this thread started so it looks as if you may be in for a new motor in order to get this thing back up and running. IR is well aware of the problem with these motors and when you call them don't let them act surprised like you have a rare problem. Let them know you are VERY much aware that others are having this problem and demand that they do something about it even if the warranty is slightly expired, I don't know if it will get you anywhere but it would be worth a try because they are a big outfit and don't need the bad press. If you have to buy a motor try to find one with at least a 23 AMP or higher rating and try to find something like a GE or other USA made motor.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.