Compressor motor burns up - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2009, 04:18 PM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

37, Where in PA are you at, if your anywhere near Reading PM me the shop I work at also deals in electric motor repair and sales. (hope this isnt against the rules)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2009, 05:31 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolrods
37, Where in PA are you at, if your anywhere near Reading PM me the shop I work at also deals in electric motor repair and sales. (hope this isnt against the rules)
As a mod in this forum, I'd say "no, you did not violate any rules." Requesting a pm to help a fellow member out doesn't bend any rules. That's quite neighborly as I see it.

In a while, Chet.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:37 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
37, Don't blame yourself... If you have to buy a motor try to find one with at least a 23 AMP or higher rating and try to find something like a GE or other USA made motor.
Once again, oldred is spot on. As I've said before, when shopping for any power tool (in this case, an electric motor), always look for the highest amp rating for that particular tool. Amps are the horsepower equivalent in the electrical world, so shop for the highest rating you can find.

In a while, Chet.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:34 PM

Hey guys just wanted to add to this. I also am having this problem. My I.R P.O.S 5hp motor crapped out.it will run for a few seconds and trips the breaker. the motor shop said its burnt windings and as someone said, i advised I.R that this was a known problem that i read about on the internet and the nice women instructed me not to listen to what i hear on the internet and that the only common problem was people wiring their compressor wrong. i told her that mine ran off and on for three years and was wired by an electrician, so im sure this wasn't the case.She then told me that just couldn't help me. I can tell you i won't get the ingersoll ramming again.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53streetrod
Hey guys just wanted to add to this. I also am having this problem. My I.R P.O.S 5hp motor crapped out.it will run for a few seconds and trips the breaker. the motor shop said its burnt windings and as someone said, i advised I.R that this was a known problem that i read about on the internet and the nice women instructed me not to listen to what i hear on the internet and that the only common problem was people wiring their compressor wrong. i told her that mine ran off and on for three years and was wired by an electrician, so im sure this wasn't the case.She then told me that just couldn't help me. I can tell you i won't get the ingersoll ramming again.

Well I guess this is off the internet but I don't know how else to tell you that you are right and she is full,,,,,,well you know They do indeed have a motor problem with that light Emerson motor and we hear this a lot, there was a thread here not long ago with 4 separate cases of burned out motors on that same compressor in that one thread! About the only real solution for you is to buy a decent motor (I would suggest a Baldor) and be done with it. You might be able to have yours rebuilt but even if you did you still would have a motor that simply is not up to the job, much better to just buy a good 23 AMP or larger 5 HP motor and have something that will last.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:07 PM

Thanks for the advise, i will look into that.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:09 PM
boatbob2

Compressor........

Hi,i had an old compressor,and the pump went out,i bought a pump from Harbor Freight,(aluminum pump) it ran for less than 1 hour,when the pump locked up so fast,it broke the spokes on the pully,and it almost hit me when it came across the floor,took it back to HF,same day i bought it,got another pump,that one lasted about 1 hour,took it back ,got my money back,and went to Home Depot and bought a husky compressor,i dont remember if it cost $399,or $499,that was 5 years ago,that compressor has been bulletproof. sorry for hijacking the thread,,,
Old 01-26-2010, 08:59 AM

Thanks for the help Boatbob2 any help is welcome and appreciated. from what i am being told I.R made this motor specifically for this compressor and another motor wont just bolt on. O and did i mention they want $484.88 for that pile of sh_t replacement motor. Thanks again and i will look into buying a new compressor for the price of a motor, i would be better off to just buy a whole new compressor.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:46 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53streetrod
Thanks for the help Boatbob2 any help is welcome and appreciated. from what i am being told I.R made this motor specifically for this compressor and another motor wont just bolt on. O and did i mention they want $484.88 for that pile of sh_t replacement motor. Thanks again and i will look into buying a new compressor for the price of a motor, i would be better off to just buy a whole new compressor.

Almost all electric motors use an industry standard mounting plate of one size or another but even if that motor is an odd pattern it still should be no trouble to mount. You may have to drill a few holes and maybe even change the belt and/or the pulley but all that is simple enough.

$484.88 for that little Emerson motor? Wow, they use a Harbor Freight quality motor and want to charge industrial prices for it? That's an insane price for that motor and you can certainly get a "real" motor for that much!

Don't know if these guys have anything you can use right now or not, their inventory is constantly changing so you might want to call their tech help line and see what they can do for you.

www.surpluscenter.com

When looking for a motor be skeptical of the the HP rating! Go by the AMP rating which should be at least 21 to 23 AMPS or more, a 15 AMP 5 HP motor is NOT really 5 HP! Motors are still being sold as "special" (for instance 5 HP "Special") that only produce about 1/2 their rated HP, if it is 21 AMPs or more it will be fine. Also bear in ind that some of these heavy duty motors turn at half the speed of others so depending on which motor you get you may need to change the motor pulley but that is no problem at all. If you call Surplus center's help line those guys are very knowledgeable and even if they don't have what you need on hand they can steer you in the right direction.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:07 PM

compressor

Same thing happened to me. Two year old Ingersoll Rand 5 hp, 60 gal. compressor, properly wired and installed, probably not ten hours of running time, and the motor burns up.

This is an Ingersoll Rand package. I didn’t select the wrong motor. The fact that the Emerson model number is IR 54431193 indicates that it must be made specifially for Ingersoll Rand.

No help from Emerson, no help from Ingersoll Rand, I’m going to email Northern Tool who I bought the compressor from that I will no longer buy anything from them. They must sell thousands of IR compressors, so they must know about the problems. Won’t get any help there either, but it will make me feel better…but still have to buy a new motor. Getting this piece of crap rewired won’t do anything.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:59 PM

Ingersoll Ramming

[B] This is a very common problem that IR is well aware of, but just remember after you purchase one. Even if the electrical gods wired it, according to IR " you wired it wrong".
Old 07-10-2010, 09:06 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

I have read through all the posts on this thread and see a common thread through out. There is a great "marketing" lesson to be learned here. The discount stores all use "Brand Name Marketing" to make their discount products look like a great value when they are not. How do they do this? They go to the Brand Name producers and negotiate a discounted version (aka cheaper). Low and behold, an IR/John Deere/Husquvarna/Stihl/etc etc etc, that is just for Lowes/Home Depot/Tractor Supply/Northern Tools/Harbor Freight etc etc. I bought an IR compressor from a local garage that had a bad compressor. It had been replaced by warranty with an identical unit. The compressor had gone bad because one of the slinger arms had broken off and was not oiling the main bearings adequately. This arm probably was broken on assembly and was never caught until I tore down the compressor. The motor, a 7.5 HP Baldor was and still is fine. Before buying this broken unit, I went to the Northern Tool store and checked their prices on what I thought was the same compressor. Thanks to Old Red, I knew to look at the motor and guess what: what I thought was the same unit, had an Emerson motor installed. Their compressor was something like $2099.90 and the paper work on the warranty replacement compressor was over $3000. Was the local garage being ripped off? Don't think so. Their old compressor, now mine, and their warranty replacement compressor are still going fine.

Want to see more of this? Look at the John Deere green riding lawn mowers being sold at Lowes/Home Depot. Look close enough and you will see Made by MTD. Early on it was the Sabre by John Deere but that was dropped. MTD (Murray Tractor Division) makes most of the home owner's riding lawn mowers. "Tell us what you want and we will build it"

Trees
Old 07-10-2010, 09:38 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees
MTD (Murray Tractor Division), "Tell us what you want and we will build it"
Trees

Didn't know that's what those initials meant, that sure explains a lot of things about the lawn tractors we see today!

Thanks for that bit of info
Old 07-10-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I have read through all the posts on this thread and see a common thread through out. There is a great "marketing" lesson to be learned here. The discount stores all use "Brand Name Marketing" to make their discount products look like a great value when they are not. How do they do this? They go to the Brand Name producers and negotiate a discounted version (aka cheaper). Low and behold, an IR/John Deere/Husquvarna/Stihl/etc etc etc, that is just for Lowes/Home Depot/Tractor Supply/Northern Tools/Harbor Freight etc etc. I bought an IR compressor from a local garage that had a bad compressor. It had been replaced by warranty with an identical unit. The compressor had gone bad because one of the slinger arms had broken off and was not oiling the main bearings adequately. This arm probably was broken on assembly and was never caught until I tore down the compressor. The motor, a 7.5 HP Baldor was and still is fine. Before buying this broken unit, I went to the Northern Tool store and checked their prices on what I thought was the same compressor. Thanks to Old Red, I knew to look at the motor and guess what: what I thought was the same unit, had an Emerson motor installed. Their compressor was something like $2099.90 and the paper work on the warranty replacement compressor was over $3000. Was the local garage being ripped off? Don't think so. Their old compressor, now mine, and their warranty replacement compressor are still going fine.

Want to see more of this? Look at the John Deere green riding lawn mowers being sold at Lowes/Home Depot. Look close enough and you will see Made by MTD. Early on it was the Sabre by John Deere but that was dropped. MTD (Murray Tractor Division) makes most of the home owner's riding lawn mowers. "Tell us what you want and we will build it"

Trees
You are right on the money with that. Unfortunately i own one of those good deal John deer P.O.S lawnmowers to and have had many problems with that also. It's like when i was a kid, you were privileged to own a Schwinn bicycle, now they are one of the cheapest brands at Wal-Mart. P.S i still need a motor for that P.O.S compressor if somebody has one.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
The discount stores all use "Brand Name Marketing" to make their discount products look like a great value when they are not. How do they do this? They go to the Brand Name producers and negotiate a discounted version (aka cheaper). Low and behold, an IR/John Deere/Husquvarna/Stihl/etc etc etc, that is just for Lowes/Home Depot/Tractor Supply/Northern Tools/Harbor Freight etc etc. Trees
Trees, there's a place here in town, down on Broadway, that's been selling mowers and chainsaws and similar stuff for over 50 years. Wont mention the name, but you're probably familiar with it. Anyway, I bought a Stihl blower there a couple years ago, and according to the owner, Stihl is about the only one of the major yard equipment mfgrs that still won't make the cheapened junk for the big box stores. At least that was the case at that time.

He says the bigger problem is once a mfgr hooks up with Lowes or HD, before long they start putting the same cheap crap parts on their supposedly higher end stuff that the box stores don't even sell. He said they've dropped lots of different brands over the years because of this. Sell the man something, and he's back with a problem before you've even forgotten his name.

I mentioned I'd bought an Echo weed eater from his store in '87 and that it still runs like a champ even though it looks like its been thru a couple wars (on the losing side). He said the Echo stuff was some of the best money could buy back then, and was until they hooked up with the box stores. Before long, they began to see problems with the Echo equipment they were selling, and every time he turned around there was someone dragging in another dead box store Echo and expecting him to do the warranty work on it. A few months later, he told Echo to just start shipping the stuff he'd been selling on over to the box stores since he was done with them.

These stores do the same thing with products across the board. Keep the external appearance the same, but cheapen everything that can't be seen as much as possible, so they can continue to create the illusion of lower prices. And its nothing but an illusion.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.