Compressor motor burns up - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2010, 05:22 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

TubeTek, yeah, I know BL well. I have bought a few things from him over the years. He had a store in Hendersonville as well and the shop in Mars Hill is some what tied in with him. He does repair what he sells and does the warranty work on the brands he sells, but does not like it, so he says. Marketing practices reflects the American Business practices, unfortunately. Give me the old days when businesses tried to earn your business by offering reliable stuff that they stood behind. Not so today. Manufacturing has "dumbed down" to eye candy that will last a bit longer than the warranty so they can sell you a replacement. Light bulbs is the biggest example of this.

Trees
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2011, 04:53 PM

Emerson motors are junk

Bought a new Inger sol Rand air compressor 2 years ago very little use turned it on last week and the motor had FLAMES COMING OUT OF IT! Now It's junk!
Every body beware of EMERSON MOTORS # IR 54421193 single phase 230 Volt
Old 09-02-2011, 05:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul39039
Bought a new Inger sol Rand air compressor 2 years ago very little use turned it on last week and the motor had FLAMES COMING OUT OF IT! Now It's junk!
Every body beware of EMERSON MOTORS # IR 54421193 single phase 230 Volt

Unfortunately that has become an all too common story! Ingersoll has to be aware of the problem but I know of even another one recently so they must still be selling those things with that defect.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:

Wow..this great news to read...

I bought an IR SS3L3 model about a year and a 1/2 ago at TSC after my old Porter Cable pump took a dump...
After reading this,i went out and looked..sure enough..Emerson 15 amp..but mine is only considered a 3 HP,according to their advertisement

I have had a problem with the motor once,it seemed to be just froze up and tripping the breaker,thinking it was the pump froze i loosened the belt and tried it and the motor still didn't do anything and tripping the red reset button,but i turned the motor shaft by hand once and it started back up and put it back together and been running good ever since..<fingers crossed>

The real funny thing is,i still have my ole cheapo 60 gallon Porter Cable compressor i bought at Lowes years ago..i just looked at it's motor..it's a GE and 14 amp,,think i'll hang on to this motor.......
Old 09-04-2011, 03:55 PM

Last photo:

Well the good news for you is the 3 HP version does not seem to be as prone to this problem, after this started some time ago I did a bit of research and while the 5 HP failures are plentiful the 3 HP does not seem to be so much. My theory, and it is just that- a theory and nothing more, is that IR simply tried to get more out of that Emerson 5 HP than it could handle. They may actually have attempted to get close that ridiculous 18+ CFM rating but the power was just not there and the motor became over-loaded. I AM ONLY GUESSING at this so anyone with another theory as to the cause of the problem may have a better reason. I would be willing to bet a pulley change to drop the pump RPM about 10% would solve the problem and if the motor is indeed over-loaded from the factory then doing this would probably lose little if any performance but should result in normal motor life.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:21 PM

Last photo:

Isn't their a frame # on the motors that relate to the mounting and such, I know on the larger motors we have that is how I went about replacement, was never a need to stay within the same brand
Old 09-04-2011, 04:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powork
Isn't their a frame # on the motors that relate to the mounting and such, I know on the larger motors we have that is how I went about replacement, was never a need to stay within the same brand

Yes there is and most motors conform to these industry standards but there are still all kinds of odd import motors out there. You are right about not needing to stay with a particular brand and that Emerson should be directly replaceable with a quality Baldor, GE, etc if all the info on the DATA plate is considered.

That is an excellent point that has not been mentioned, thanks for bringing it up.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:34 PM
Footstomper

Last journal entry: 40 ford/cadillac coupe
Last photo:

I rebuilt a 1948 Kellogg compressor

I bought for 400., fixed the winding motor, another 100. Just rebuilt the valves and it is great! By the way, when the times to change the oil. It is a 200 gallon. It was a gas station in Florida.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:28 AM

Same thing happen to me Sunday night, went to flick the compressor on and the motor burst into flames. I haven't read the whole article because I'm trying to find a replacement asap because its for my business. Bought it in 08, has worked fine since Sunday.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:59 AM

Last photo:

Well that makes at least six in just this one thread and I know of 4 more in addition to these! That's a really bad sign when considering the small percentage of the compressor market these IR units comprise.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:39 AM

Last journal entry: 52 Chev Panel Baskett Case
Last photo:

I try to blow the dust, paint and crap that accumulates in my compressor. It's a good idea to do this about once a year as a preventative maintenance plan. This won't stop a inferior motor from burning up but might save your shop.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:04 PM

Does anyone have another part number for a different brand for a motor? IR wants 417 ish an they can't tell me what brand motor it is. Get this, Grainger wants 918.00 for a replacement motor. That's a dollar less then what I paid for the full thing.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:41 PM

Last photo:

Try Surpluscenter,

www.surpluscenter.com
Old 09-07-2011, 09:25 AM

Does anyone know the enclosure type ? I have all the other information to type it into baldor's site, just don't know what type of enclosure it is.

http://www.baldor.com/products/product.asp?1=1&product=AC+Motors&family=Single+Ph ase|vw_ACMotors_SinglePhase
Old 09-07-2011, 09:30 AM

Here is what it came down to when I left the enclosure to all.

http://www.baldor.com/products/product.asp?1=1&product=AC+Motors&family=Single+Ph ase|vw_ACMotors_SinglePhase&phase=1&hp=5.0&rpm=280 0-3600&voltage=230

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.