Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   Compressor motor burns up (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/compressor-motor-burns-up-136455.html)

jimmy1 04-05-2008 10:42 AM

Compressor motor burns up

Help!!! I bought a IR compressor at TS About a year ago and just like clock work the motor burned up this morning. Has anyone had the same thing happen to them with this model IR-2 stage with an Emerson model 54421193 5hp motor. This thing has almost no time on it and was working fine up until this morning when it was switched on and caught fire. It was not hot or even run through a full cycle when it literally burst in to flames! It was professionally installed and there doesn't seem to be a wiring problem. I'am not asking for a remote trouble shoot, just some suggestions,hints or opinions from anyone that is familiar with this piece of junk err.. I mean finely crafted tool. Thanks in advance :mad:

540z 04-05-2008 04:18 PM

What type of motor is it? Single phase? 3 phase? What voltage?
Let's start there.

weirdbeard 04-05-2008 04:30 PM

This is a very bad thing! Lots of people leave their compressors on all the time. If that had happened while you were away or at night it could burn a shop down. Have you googled for any recalls on that motor?

chlsnk 04-06-2008 06:51 AM

Did you ever oil it?

jaguarxk120 04-06-2008 07:06 AM

Give us more information. All the data from the motor nameplate, and the rating on the electrical feed. A 5hp motor draws high amperage on startup if it is single phase. And lastly what condition is the compressor pump in? TF

oldred 04-06-2008 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmy1
It was professionally installed and there doesn't seem to be a wiring problem.

When you say "professionally installed" do you mean by a licensed electrician or just someone sent out by TS? Three things come to mind here, The wrong size wiring which can cause a low voltage condition that can damage more than just the wires (the least likely cause), a faulty motor (possible-Emerson on an Ingersoll :confused: ) or a stuck unloader valve on the compressor (very common cause of motor failure) Double check the wiring then check to see if the unloader valve on the pressure switch is working, there should be a metal or plastic tube running from the line between the pump and tank or maybe from the pump itself to the valve which will most likely be on the pressure switch. If this line is plugged or missing or if the valve otherwise fails to relive the pressure on the pump when the compressor shuts off then there will be an excess start-up load on the motor due to tank pressure on the pump. Another thing that could cause this condition would be a leaking check valve on the tank where the supply line from the pump enters but if this is the case you probably would have noticed a hissing sound coming from the unloader valve when the compressor shuts down indicating the leak, this would indicate a bad check valve since a stuck unloader valve probably would not make any unusual sounds. The set-up I have described is the most common and yours possibly could be somewhat different but the basic operating principle should be the same so check to make sure there is no pressure on the pump head when the compressor is idled. If there is no pressure on the pump head in idle phase and the wiring checks out then you need to buy a Baldor or GE motor and replace the Emerson with what should have been on there in the first place!

jimmy1 04-06-2008 05:20 PM

Compressor Help!! "Emergency"!!

Yes Sir!! Old Red I mean professionally by a licensed electrician. Who came out yesterday on a Saturday morning to double check his work after a year of it being done and working flawlessly. All the valves checked out OK! He could find no good reason why this motor would fail so soon. This motor has less than 20 hrs. on it if it has that. I pulled the motor and took it back to tractor-supply "route 57 Washington N.J." and lets just say was less than impressed with there "customer service" I would have gotten more response if I was returning a chew toy for a dog! Anyway, after an hour of dealing with every type of jerk from the greeter to the manager I was happy to come away with the phone number of the company that does the warranty work "for" Ingersoll-Rand "for" Tractor-supply. In no way do I want the members of Hotrodders to think that I have or hold any malice or poor opinions towards the employees of tractor-supply or Ingersoll-Rand.To the contrary I have a new found appreciation for just how hard it is to stand all day and pretend that you have one clue, one idea, one wisp of knowledge about anything you sell,and from the profits of such "draw a paycheck". :drool: Truly its harder than farming,coal mining,nursing,truck driving,construction,shoe sales,or any other job that you can think of that actually requires a rudimentary education to preform. How you get away with it is a marvel of modern technology and marketing. I'am probably most surprised by Ingersoll-Rand though,I never realized how desperate there situation was with the Chinese competition. I have in the past bought many IR products with great satisfaction. But,now it seems Ingersoll finds it necessary to mimic all the bad characteristics of cheap Chinese crap to compete,and I just want the Ingersoll-Rand people to know that they have been successful, from now on I will view IR products as cheap Chinese crap and when it comes time to make the next major purchase in tools or equipment, "of which there will be many" I'll take a second look at the cheap Chinese crap and save my self the premium. Honda's are made in the U.S.A.,Dodge's are made in Mexico. Thanks for lisening to my rant hotrodders I know you have all been hear and done this. Old Red! maby you can suggest a good source for Baldor and GE motors. Thanks Pete

oldred 04-06-2008 08:53 PM

Quote:

Y can suggest a good source for Baldor and GE motors. Thanks Pete

I hate to say this but Tractor Supply has them about as reasonable as anybody. :rolleyes:

Another place you might want to check would be Surplus Center, they have different stock on hand at different times but if they have what you need it will be priced right!

www.surpluscenter.com

That faulty motor is about what I thought you would find when you said Emerson but I thought it best to check the other possibilities before starting your new motor. Usually if the wire is too small it will burn out before damaging the motor but not always, the unloader problem is more common. If you have a good motor like a Baldor or the GE and the unloader fails for some reason you will usually just notice a slow start or maybe the motor will even stall but most of the time the problem will be noticeable before motor damage occurs, the "cheapo" motors however tend to go up in smoke pretty darn quick!

41'srfun 04-07-2008 08:40 PM

compressor motor

Quote:

Help!!! I bought a IR compressor at TS About a year ago and just like clock work the motor burned up this morning. Has anyone had the same thing happen to them with this model IR-2 stage with an Emerson model 54421193 5hp motor. This thing has almost no time on it and was working fine up until this morning when it was switched on and caught fire. It was not hot or even run through a full cycle when it literally burst in to flames! It was professionally installed and there doesn't seem to be a wiring problem. I'am not asking for a remote trouble shoot, just some suggestions,hints or opinions from anyone that is familiar with this piece of junk err.. I mean finely crafted tool. Thanks in advance :mad:

I just finished completely redoing my air compressor. I bought a true 5 horse Baldor motor on ebay from Williamson Electric for $289.00 with free shipping and I also bought a new Eaton 2 stage pump for $279.00 plus shipping. I replaced the pressure valve and check valve and bought a new Siemens motor starter. All total I have less than $900.00 in it and the pump has a 5 year warranty and the motor has a 1 year warranty. This thing will pump up the 60 gallon tank from 0 to 120 psi is about 4 minutes and hold a steady 100 psi with most of the air tools that I've tried on it
I don't want to make this a really long post, but if you call enough people at
Tractor Supply I would think that they would replace the motor. But if it is a cheap China piece you would be better off just buying a quality motor anyway. I worked in a shop where I had to do warranties on outdoor power equipment for about 4 years and have dealt with the local folks at Tractor Supply a lot of times. Most of the time ,if I couldn't get the company to honor a warranty for various reasons, they would usually end up doing their best to make their customers happy.

jimmy1 04-08-2008 07:56 PM

Compressor Help!!"Emergecy"!!

You bet 41' I'am shopping, but I want a new motor out of I-R just for spite at this point! Even if I use it as a door stop. I want to know why this thing burned up the way it did, before I bring the replacement any where near a building to use as a door stop! :mad:

jimmy1 04-09-2008 06:22 PM

Compressor Help!!"Emergecy"!!

What a differance a day makes! I talked to an I-R customer Rep today and he told me that they have had a lot of problems with this motor and a "improved"replacement is on its way! ( No charge!). If the new motor is in fact "improved" it'll go a long way in restoring my faith in I-R.He also told me that Tractor-Supply's warranty is one year, but I-R backs them for a full 18 months. Thanks Pete

RPM 04-10-2008 07:15 AM

I know you said your is an IR compressor. But there is a recall on these compressors from Campbell Hausfeld. They could be made by them and marketed by IR. I don't know that for sure if that is the case. :)

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml08/08181.html

jimmy1 04-11-2008 07:13 PM

Compressor Help!!! "Emergency"!!!

Oh! what a differance two days makes! I can't complain about the time it took Ingersoll-Rand to get the new motor to me. Less than 24hrs. The new unit is made in mexico this time. Almost an exact copy of the original!! I also can't complain about the way they honored their warranty...............So? what would you guys suggest and recommed between the Baldor or GE. I know Old Red must have a reference and I'am hopping he'll share it. Thanks Pete. P.S. RPM, Thanks and yes this is a real Ingersoll-Rand unit,and I've also learned there are far to many recalls on import electric motors of all kinds. There are still 60 and 70 year old westinghouse and delco motors out there working every day!!

txturbo 05-19-2008 03:06 PM

Compressor Help! "Emergency"!!!!

I had a problem with mine this last weekend.It didn't catch on fire, but it kicked on and ran for about 5 seconds at reduced speed and was vibrating so bad the whole compressor was moving across the floor before it tripped the breaker. Mine is only about 14 months old and has less than 25 hours on it.It has the 5hp Emerson motor. I've been searching for a replacement motor today until I saw this thread.Mine was purchased at Northern Tool and also had a 12 month parts and labor warranty. So I guess I better give IR a call. You have that phone number?

jimmy1 05-19-2008 04:09 PM

Compressor Help!! Emergency!!!

Sorry, Tx I don't have E-mail right now, but I do have the numbers I used for the Ingersoll-Rand service I used. His name was Steve at (866)850-5720 or (800)247-7378 he was great and got the motor to me in less than 48 hrs. It was more like 27 hrs. "I was counting"!! How they did it I don't know, but if the replacement motor is as good as the service I'll be happy. P.S. Better bolt that thing down buddy,I wouldn't want to be in the same room with it running! :spank: Pete