Hot Rod Forum banner

compressor noise in garage

8K views 31 replies 28 participants last post by  ChevelleSS_LS6 
#1 ·
I am thinking about painting my car in my home garage; but i am wondering about the noise, can anyone tell me how much noise i have to look forward too

#27 ·
mine is sitting on wood blocks bolted to the feet, will have to try the rubber idea and also see about making a box for it.

would i still need a box if i make a makeshift paintbooth as in the knowledge base?

may have to try the synthetic later on, but i'm changing it every couple months lately as i'm working the compressor more than i should.

How much metal shavings is normal in the oil of the compressor anyway? :(

#28 ·
Metal Shavinks in the Kompressor

The right amount of metal shavings in the kompressor is in proportion to the price, ignorance and quality control of the dog terd factory it was made in.

They don't carefully hand build things - with great attention to detail and do things like blowing swarf out of the threaded holes etc.. for kompressors that not infrequently get treated like crap, and are poorly serviced and run into the ground.

I mean like here in Straya, you can buy Chinese kompressors for $130 that are seemingly good and decent units (untill some use is put on them and the flaws start to become obvious) - complete with badly laid out couplings, stupid drains, crap sealing in the connecting pipes and poor oil control on the piston (scraper rings ??? what are they??) etc.....

I spose you could look at it as an investment, in that you got more for your money than you bargained for.

You got some extra metal in the unit for free - kind of like a fly in your soup.

#29 ·
Huskinhano said:
If you don't already have a compressor, I HIGHLY recomend that you don't buy a oil free unit! They are absolutely brutal with noise. Buy ear protection is my advice in general.
I agree, spend the extra bucks for a belt driven one unless you have a place to isolated it. Those oil less direct drive compressers should be outlawed for the noise level they produce.

#31 ·
i got a compresser in my garage. 6.5 HP huskey brand 60 gal belt drive, mounted on a 1 inch thick rubber mat with HUGE washers under the feet.. to me compressers dont seam loud, i dunno, guess i am used to it, it does scare my friends tho when she starts up, so i guess some people call it loud, i dont even notice it.

#32 ·
my compressor

My air compressor is quiet! It consists of a (old) Speedaire tank, a (very old) 3/4HP or so Westinghouse motor, and a (old)"Made in the United States of America" compressor, which was part of a refridgeration unit back in the day. For the air inlet it's a ~2" steel pipe that sticks out about 8" and has a flat square air filter; sort of like what's on a B&S engine. There's a Square D box on it that has no controls, but I think that is some sort of inverter or transformer. Everything on it was made and assembled in the US.

It pumps up rather quickly with a "put put put put put put" sound, not a BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR sound that the oil-free compressors make.

The only bad thing is it only pumps to 80 PSI. And it's heavy as hell, but it has wheels. I'd like to get about 120PSI out of it, how'd ya do it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.