Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   compressor noise in garage (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/compressor-noise-garage-37792.html)

KNIGHT07731 04-15-2004 08:36 AM

compressor noise in garage

I am thinking about painting my car in my home garage; but i am wondering about the noise, can anyone tell me how much noise i have to look forward too

Kevin45 04-15-2004 09:59 AM

You ever hear an air compresor run up close? Probably about that much noise only a few feet more away.

Weimer 04-15-2004 10:28 AM

You'll probably have so much noise that the car will be vibrating waaay to much for the paint to stick:rolleyes:
I am talking ear piercing loud!
Later,
WEIMER

poncho62 04-15-2004 10:29 AM

Put the compressor outside....................

Huskinhano 04-15-2004 10:35 AM

If you don't already have a compressor, I HIGHLY recomend that you don't buy a oil free unit! They are absolutely brutal with noise. Buy ear protection is my advice in general.

302 Z28 04-16-2004 07:30 AM

Make an extension card and place the compressor outside. A running compressor in an environment rich with suspended paint is a potential ignition source.:pain:

Vince

Huskinhano 04-16-2004 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by 302/Z28
Make an extension card and place the compressor outside. A running compressor in an environment rich with suspended paint is a potential ignition source.:pain:

Vince

Excellent point!!! Sometimes the best answers are the easiest to over look. You nailed it.

adtkart 04-16-2004 07:20 PM

I have always worked in my garage with an air compressor in there and running. I have even painted in there numerous times. Is it loud? Of course. So is using a grinder or air hammer. If you are planning on painting, the compressor will likely run for sometime. The sound will work on you, that's for sure. The ignition sourse is also a legit concern. Another concern should be the effect on the compressor. The fumes will be drawn into the filter of that compressor. The air filter will likely become clogged relatively soon, and cause strain on the compressor. If you are in an area that you can get away with it, put it outside.

Infinitro 04-18-2004 12:03 AM

As a novice diy speaker builder it only took me 5 years of deafening compressor noise, to actually think of building a sound proof, insulated, and vented cover for mine. I can actually talk in a normal tone while standing next to it and it is running! Ofcourse you will need to make slots, cutouts or whatever for the air hose, power cord, condensation drain etc. Since it is made of 3/4 inch mdf and heavily sound proofed, you do not want to remove the cover unless absolutely necessary ;)

adtkart 04-18-2004 07:23 AM

years ago, I had a neighbor that built a small room for his. It helped with the noise considerably. He idi have problems with it getting too hot in there. Anyone got any ideas on how to get the heat out and keep the noise in? I have thought of having mine outside, in the rear of the garage, like one of my neighbors did. We could always hear his run when he was out there. Didn't bother me, but the older couple that moved in, when he moved out, may not enjoy the sound of work like I do.

Right now I can hear mine in the house, from in the garage that is 50 feet away, with the doors and windows closed, if it comes on.

Infinitro 04-18-2004 09:02 AM

Basically he put it in an unvented box. My cover was a box over my horizontal 25 gallon comp. It had a hole in the top on 1 side and I put another 1/3 size box on top with the air flowing horizontally through sound traps. Air is forced in from the bottom on 1 side and it travels out of the first box (containing compressor) like a chimney, travels horizontally through the second box and out. (very simplified explanation) I think I just confused myself? Did that make any sense at all? So I had a friend with a vertical 80 gal comp that liked my initial idea enough that he enlisted my help with his noise problem. We built a box with a door for his, basically the same idea and he went so far as to have a dedicated a/c unit mounted in the wall and ducted the cold air to the bottom and the outlet for the heated air was vented outside.Then we set up a remote thermometer that read the temperature inside the box. After some (OK! a lot of) trial and error we ended up with a helper fan here and there and Viola! It is a very quiet and efficient system. Yes it was work, but he had an attached garage with small children and a very annoyed wife who was about to kick he and his noisy compressor to the curb!
My compressor is only fan cooled by forcing air in the bottom and rising out of the top. I think we over engineered his a bit!:D

bonuts 04-19-2004 12:00 PM

Build a compressor room, thats what we did. The compressors are not loud just irritating if your constantly using the air.

bonuts

Skylark_77_455 04-19-2004 12:58 PM

Build a separate room in the garage, prefered in a corner. Leave an access door big enough to get the compressor in and out. I know compressors last a really long time without anything major to take it out, but just in case. Use foam material around all four walls the door and the ceiling. I believe we bought ours at lowe's or Home Depot and it is fairly cheap. Use an exhaust fan in the ceiling and route the hot air outside with ducting. This will keep the noise down. It is not perfect sound deadening but will keep the noise down considerably and it won't kill you too much on your wallet. We ran the main air line down the wall and mounted the mainifold and water removal system in a central location so you can run multiple hoses. Good Luck with what route to choose to take.

Jesse :thumbup:

julmer 08-16-2004 10:51 PM

I'm kinda new to this forum so I'm looking over some older threads. I have a commercial duty compressor and it was pretty loud. I wanted to paint in the garage so I used a piece of flex line through the wall to move the intake outside. I was surprised to discover that about 75% of the noise went with it.

Canadian Charlie 08-17-2004 01:14 PM

My compressor is very loud. If you can build it a little shed with lots of ventilation