Compressor Oil - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2004, 12:36 PM
The Big Money

Last journal entry: New Air Line Part 2
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Compressor Oil

Went to buy some oil for my compressor and tried a few stores. No one has them, so at the last place I went to the salesman tried to sell me DIESEL engine oil. He said its the same thing,

Is he right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2004, 01:20 PM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by 68sprtfury
I would probably change the oil the first time at about three hours of good cycling. After the oil is changed the first time,you should probably change it every couple months if you use it pretty heavy,if just on occasional use change once a summer,just to keep fresh oil in it.Just remember it doesn't have a pressure lubed system so as long as you use like a pennzoil 5-30 or an equivalent non-detergent oil,you should have no trouble with humidity . The humidity or temp. changes don't seem to effect them much ,so as long as its not -20 or -30 below you should be fine.Enjoy your compressor!!

68sprtfury
that is what 68sprtfury said in one of my threads, hope it helps http://hotrodders.com/showthread.php...033#post285033
Old 10-10-2004, 09:26 PM
Old enough to know better

I can't say for Canada but stateside, I buy my compressor oil off the shelf at WalMart. Automative department, compressor section.
My compressor does have a pressure lubed system so I'll stick with the recommended stuff especially since it is easy to find around here.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:25 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

The oil I used for all my compressor services was Castrol non-detergent 30wt. It doesn't have to be Castrol, any decent non-detergant oil will do. The big thing is to us a non-detergant oil.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:03 PM

Agreed

Matter of fact, I bought a Canadian made compressor. The docs say compressor oil or 30wt.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:56 PM

Last photo:

Really? What breed? And how do you like it? I'm looking for a new one, to power my repair garage, can't seem to make up my mind....
Old 10-21-2004, 02:57 PM

Eagle Model C5160V1
18.5 CFM @ 100 psi
220 volt - Upright tank with 3 cylinders
Paid $599

How do I like it? No complaints. I can't run it out of air. Never had a problem with it. Been using it for about 5-6 years.

During another forum discussion, some guy called me full of hot air. Said he couldn't find one for less than $1100. Whatever I said. I have a receipt for $599 and it wasn't a sale item.

If you're interested in it and can't find a good price, drop me some email. I check on their current prices. I know the store will do drop shipments.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:28 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by sbchevfreak
The oil I used for all my compressor services was Castrol non-detergent 30wt. It doesn't have to be Castrol, any decent non-detergant oil will do. The big thing is to us a non-detergant oil.
\

Yah, use only non-detergent oil. I've been using detergent 30 Pennzoil in my 5 horse industrial 2 stage compressor for 21 years and I'm sure the detergent oil is just killing it.

tom
Old 10-21-2004, 11:38 PM

Last photo:

Just going with what I have done, and what I've been told by compressor manufacturers and dealers. They said non detergent oil was important, who am I to argue?

If the detergent oil is okay, maybe I'll give it a try next service.. It's cheaper (at least here) that the non.

Last edited by sbchevfreak; 10-25-2004 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:12 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally posted by machine shop tom
\

Yah, use only non-detergent oil. I've been using detergent 30 Pennzoil in my 5 horse industrial 2 stage compressor for 21 years and I'm sure the detergent oil is just killing it.

tom
Isn't sarcasm great? My problem is that the compressor unit is an old refridgeration unit from, ummm, way back. Should I go with 30 wt, or go heavier? Since my garage isn't heated, should I use 10w30 or just stick with 30wt. Also, my air compressor is a hodgepodge of a Speedaire tank, ancient Westinghouse motor (spins at 1700 rpm or something slow like that, but it's got balls), and the aforementioned refrigeration compressor.

I got it from a friend of the family that moved from Michigan to Georgia. He uses a little chinese pancake air compressor. Did I get the good end of the deal or what?
Old 10-26-2004, 11:02 PM

An old refrigeration compressor! Well, clearly, that calls for refrigeration oil. To get it right, you'll need to know what kind of refrigerant it used to pump. Your local HVAC distributor can fix you right up at about $50 a gallon.

side note: the previous owner of my compressor said he burned up the original motor when he tried to run it when it was cold - below freezing.
Based on just that, I'd go with the multi-vis.

Last edited by julmer; 10-26-2004 at 11:07 PM.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:24 PM

go to www.bobistheoilguy.com
Old 11-08-2004, 08:19 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally posted by julmer
An old refrigeration compressor! Well, clearly, that calls for refrigeration oil. To get it right, you'll need to know what kind of refrigerant it used to pump. Your local HVAC distributor can fix you right up at about $50 a gallon.

side note: the previous owner of my compressor said he burned up the original motor when he tried to run it when it was cold - below freezing.
the arabs are raping us! Does anyone else have an opinion what kind of oil I should use in an ancient refrigeration compressor (it came out of a store somewhere) used as an air compressor pump? I really don't feel like $50 a gallon for oil.

Also, what is different between refridgeration oil and non-detergent motor oil? I am thinking of 20w-30, of course non-detergent.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:28 PM
Muscle car fan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by julmer

i use a cheap brand compressor oil, belive it's just 30 wt, i've used it when the water in the bottom of the tank froze, so it's not that big of a concern i don't think
Old 11-10-2004, 01:08 AM

HEY, Chevelle, The smiley face was supposed to be a clue. That old pump will probably run with just about anything you pour in it. I'd guess 30wt non-detergent would be an excellent choice.

There are a number of different refrigeration oils and they are often that expensive. You almost have to be a chemist to get everything right in refrigeration systems. Us auto guys usually think about 2 different Freons, R12 and R-134a. There are actually about 20 for different kinds of systems.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.