Compressor and piping all working finally - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2006, 08:50 PM

Last journal entry: final pics of first engine swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Compressor and piping all working finally

I finally have some air now with my bare bones 15 amp US General. The system has been working great for more than a few weeks so far. Only 1 copper leak. And 3 tries on the flex hose to get it to stop leaking. The HF $20 filter had a good leak too on the regulator, so I had to re tape that after it being already on there. The 36" 3/4 hydraulic flex hose I got from Northern for around $20 shipped.

This place has been great, taught me how to wire, anchor and especially pipe the thing. Oldred has been most helpful too on anything compressor related when I search on the topic, very helpful and patient fellow on the subject. Now time to practice & read a ton more on paint, and how to paint. lol

I thought I resized all the pics, oops.

I just call this the engine drop 1, at just over 25ft. After looking at tons of other setups, started thinking of future upgrades and how the single stage will be working its tail off, I thought I'd add some more piping and 2 more water traps in the corners. Got a short 3/8 hose to rid tangling and clutter and so I don't have to often go clean and untangle the the prep hose if I just need to use it a few times mainly for the engine bay area. The craftsman regulator was free from a gearhead friend of mine who also donated me a low grade CH impact wrench too with it. Anything helps.

2nd corner and prep drop 2 I call it. Its over 40 ft of copper when it reaches the HF $20 big blue (40 micron).

Paint drop 3. Over 65 ft when it reaches the Sharpe F88 filter (5 micron).

I did a spray gun test with the air hog Air Gunsa AZE hte hvlp, (13.8 cfm at 30 psi inlet). Set the Sharpe reg at 30-35 psi with full fan and fluid control with the wall reg at 90 psi. And it kept up, but the psi on the compressor remained steady. Didn't go up or down, motor stayed on constant. So it looks like it will definitely work. Pipes will really get hot doing a whole car and hopefully all the extra piping will help do the trick without an air dryer. Getting like a desiccant snake or inline ball type filter at the gun too.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2006, 11:08 PM

Last photo:

Looks like it took some time and figuring. Very nice job. Looks real clean. I like it.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:59 PM
Experienced Amateur

Last wiki edit: Automobile body and frame rotisserie
Wiki Edits: 2

Looks good Danny. Youre setup is very similar to mine, except I used galvanized pipe, but same compressor. I use an in-line filter at the gun too and have no moisture problems.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:12 PM

Last journal entry: final pics of first engine swap
Last photo:

Hey thanks guys, I gave myself plenty of time which really helped. Hearing so much about moisture problems everyones going through made me want a little extra on the piping. Needed a change in the garage too. Putting up some pics on the wall & here on the web and trying to stay organized helps with the motivation sometimes.

Good to hear that CDJr, similar setup like mine thats working

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.