Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Compressor pressure?
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2005, 01:00 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

250 Psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
I know one guy who runs 250 PSI in his 40 gal tank on his service truck!)
Wow! Can he spell shrapnel?

We had a motor failure on our fairly large (8 HP?) compressor which is mounted in an enclosed "penthouse" above our wash bay at work. We purchased a slightly different (re-wound) motor for it, and had an electrician and his apprentice come in to re-wire it.

The apprentice got assigned to the task, while the electrician and I "supervised" (translation: BS'd) on the shop floor. We had the compressor running for quite a while, and Terry yelled up "So how are things going up there?"

"Oh, pretty good ... it's just about up to 250 ..." was the reply. Terry SCRAMBLED to the breaker panel, and yelled to me to "release some air ... quick!"

Our shop air is plumbed in black pipe ... which apparently is not rated that high, according to Terry.

Next the apprentice tells us that the compressor has been spraying oil everywhere. Terry claims that was unrelated to the over-pressurization ... which I disagreed with. We'd never had a problem before with oil leaks. Anyway, seeing as how we are leasing the building, I left it to the landlord to settle, and ordered in a IR 5HP 80 gal "temporarily" until it gets settled. That was 4 years ago.

So satisfy my suspicion ... was it because the cut-out switch was somehow bypassed and the system overpressurized that caused the oil leak?

Thanks,
Don

Last edited by 66GMC; 08-23-2005 at 01:01 PM. Reason: spelling