Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Compressor pressure?
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2005, 01:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Holy crap, there is a ton of misinformation on here about pressure and tools. I do tons of work in the commercial and industrial market with compessor manufacturers analyzing compressed air SYSTEMS for more efficient operation. Never have I been in an installation that REQUIRED more than 100 to 110 setpoint at the compressor to operate any equipment you would normally see in an industrial application downstream of it. Never have I been in an installation where they would even consider operating the compressor at 175 to 200 PSI, that would be absurd, and extremely expensive.

I have worked and evaluated systems from 10 HP to 2500 HP, at companies like J Deere, Alcoa, Charter Steel, Briggs, GM and others. If you can build a car, tractor, forge wheels and make steel with 100 to 110 PSI air I suspect we should be able to tinker with our cars at home with the same, which you can.

What you need is volume to run tools. If you can run a DA for 25 minutes without a problem I'd say your in pretty good shape. After that period the line is probably spitting water and you'd want to stop anyway. The only thing a comressor does better than compress air is make water.

Air tools only need 90 PSI at the tailstock to operate properly and a peak efficiency. Therefore, if you have your compressor set 150 to 175 and it won't run the tools, it's not a compressor pressure problem. It's volume or a pressure drop in the line. I see this ALL THE time.

Unless you have some whoop de whoop super duper odd ball one of a kind tool 90 PSI tailstock pressure should be more than enough.