Compressor pressure? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2005, 09:05 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Common sense, tank size equals storage size, compressor cfm equals running capablity, pressure cutoff can effect stored volume. 175 psi is common for many compressors sold today. Tanks are rated and usually stamped or tagged.

Having three tanks allows me to sandblast three times longer before the compressor kicks on because the storage has been increased. My compressor doesn't supply enough cfm to support steady full pressure blasting but the storage size increase allows me to blast at full pressure for a longer period of time. Basic example.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2005, 04:59 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festive57
Out of curiosity,is there some way to determine what cfm your compressor has at 90psi
Thanks,
Bill
There are formulas using tank size and time it takes to pump to a certain pressure. I think my Eaton is about 17 cfm at 90, the company checks its
performance by checking the pump up time to 150 psi. On my 60 gallon
it takes 5 minutes, on a 80 gallon it takes 6 minutes. If you time yours
you could probably compare to others and get a good idea of the size.
I think Bondoking has a 12 to 14 cfm at 90 psi and we timed his at
8 minutes (I think?) If you post your time maybe someone here can
compare.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:17 AM

Last photo:

Bob, You also have to wait longer on the recharge cycle so if you use your blaster for more than one cycle you don't gain any time although I am sure you already know that. Sometimes it may be more convenient to have longer use/recharge times than shorter more frequent cycles but over any continuous period that requires more than one cycle the use/wait times will add up to the same amount regardless of tank size. However as I pointed out earlier you need to keep an eye on compressor pump temperature because of those long recharge cycles.(I am assuming you added those tanks and you are not using a large industrial size compressor?) One advantage you do have with those multiple tanks is the fact that they give the air a chance to cool and make really good water traps and dry air, which as you very well know, is a must for sandblasters.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:54 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Damp air or damp Sand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
dry air, which as you very well know, is a must for sandblasters.
Yup, I can vouch for that!

I was complaining that my borrowed blaster was consuming a LOT of sand when I went in to pick up ANOTHER 6 bags. The fellow at the counter asked what kind of equipment, and what did the nozzle look like? I told him that it was an old diesel-powered IR compressor on wheels with a 100lb tank (see my project journal), and the nozzle had a hole in it the size of a pencil... which he says is a bad thing ... worn out ... then showed and sold me a new one.

I put it on and tried it. It would work great (obviously using less sand) for about 5 mins, but then the sand stopped coming. The nozzle was obviously spraying water mist as well, so I took the nozzle right off, blew out the lines, and drained the traps. Then it would work fine again for another 5 minutes, and I'd have to repeat the whole process!

In frustration I put the old nozzle back on and finished off that bag. The larger nozzle opening must have been keeping the volume of air up and the lines clear? Maybe I had a bag of damp sand? I'll have to try again this weekend with a fresh bag of sand.

Any comments? (I'm a sandblasting newbie)

Don

Last edited by 66GMC; 08-25-2005 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Description of equipment
Old 08-25-2005, 08:31 AM

Last photo:

A large nozzle will break you up in sand costs as you have already found out. Sounds like you have a water problem and the best way to address this is to work on cooling the air first since wringing moisture from hot air is a major problem. The air should be run through a heat exchanger or some other means of cooling before the water separator and then another water separator located on the blaster itself should do the job. Other than that try to blast when humidity is low since the water produced is what is contained in the air being compressed.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.