Compressor Pump and Motor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2008, 02:24 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Compressor Pump and Motor

I bought the biggest compressor Home Depot had about 1.5 years ago - it is a 60 gallon 11.5 cfm upright husky compressor. I bought what I could afford at the time. I'll be painting my car at home, and was thinking about removing the pump and electric motor, and then buying a larger pump/motor that will have more cfm. I'm thinking like 19 CFM. Will this be a fairly straightforward modification? I know I'll probaly have to do some plumbing from the tank to the pump, and then remount everythign on top the tank, but is it as easy as it actually seems? Where can I buy a new quality motor and pump for my 60 gallon tank? Does Eagle pump and compressor sell them separately?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2008, 02:53 PM

Last photo:

You certainly can do this and it probably would be as easy as it seems but unfortunately it would most likely cost more than just buying another compressor. You have probably noticed that the motor is (most likely) only about 15 AMPs so you would need to find a true 5 HP motor which would be about 23 AMPs or more, these can be quite expensive. Then it can be hard to find a single stage pump that would be bigger than the one you have and the two stage pumps would be, like the motor, quite expensive also plus a bit more complicated to hook up. You probably could find a motor and pump (try www.surpluscenter.com ) that could be bought for somewhat less than a complete unit but not much less and you would need to consider the value of the outfit you have now would have to be subtracted from that. However if you can locate a motor and pump at a good enough price this should not be at all hard to do.

Don't know what you might be looking at as far as quality but Harbor Freight has a V-type single stage 2 cylinder compressor pump that is for a 5 HP motor that has some pretty good specs and is usually on sale for about $100. I know of two of them that have been running for well over a year now and there is another guy here that has one he likes pretty well, BUT two things,

1-apparently the inline 3 HP pump they have is not so good as evidenced by another member here who could not get one to work even after exchanging it a couple of times.

2- I noticed a few days ago while in the store that the V-type pump is no longer cast iron and is now made of Aluminum so I don't know if it is as good as the old ones.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:09 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

rather than mod the compressor you have, I would get a smaller 110 unit that can provide 8 SCFM @ 90.. that would give you 19.5 SCFM.. it would probably cost less to do it that way.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:25 PM

Last photo:

I am extremely tight on space, so I'd rather have one compressor instead of two - good idea though.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:38 PM

Last photo:

Check with Eaton, they sell bare pumps as well as assembled compressors. They have a 32 cfm displacement pump which is supposed to put out around 19 cfm for 330.00 but like Oldred stated you will have to have a real 5 hp motor to run it.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveU
Check with Eaton, they sell bare pumps

Also these are good pumps that are noted for their reliability. If you can come up with a good 23 AMP, or more, motor then you could call them up and tell them what you have and let them recommend which pump you might need, $330 is a lot less than I would have thought for a pump of that quality. They are made in China so I guess that explains the price but they are built to high standards and their good reputation bears that out. If you can get a two stage pump at an affordable price that would be worth the extra effort to install and would get you a lot quieter running outfit that would also run cooler and last longer, plus it would produce more CFM per HP.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:53 PM
Squido

Last wiki edit: How to get specific belt sizes for custom applicat...
Wiki Edits: 3

When replacing your compressor, some things to plan for: Find out how the compressor is unloaded. All compressors start unloaded but they have different methods of doing it. Some have a small valve on the pressure control that bleeds down and others use a pneumatic valve in the cylinder head.

All compressors have a check valve to keep the air pressure off the compressor for easy starting. Some check valve have a pilot oriface used to bleed down the connecting piping during off cycle. The check valve needs to hold tight. If leaks even a little replace it.

If you are planning on increasing the tank pressure make sure the tank and relief valve are rated for the new pressure. Quality tanks will have and ASME tag, the low budget ones won't.

Make sure the oil you are using is the type recommended by the compressor manufacturer. You may have to look at the diesel motor oils to find the right lubricant.

A lot of compressors don't really care if they are turned cw or ccw, but the pulley is usually designed to move air in a certain direction. Find out the correct rotation and if your motor is single phase make sure it can turn the same direction or make sure that it can be reversed.
Squido

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.