Compressor Pump Replacement - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2009, 12:30 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Compressor Pump Replacement

I need to replace my pump on my 60 gallon husky air compressor. I want to replace it with this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/18-CFM-Air-Compr...d=p3286.c0.m14

Will this work? What type of electric motor will I need to run this thing...will I have to upgrade my stock electric motor? What is the difference between a single stage and a dual stage compressor... what else will I need in order to make the conversion?

Advertisement

Last edited by stinger12; 09-03-2009 at 12:45 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2009, 04:22 AM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

With the correct tools, anything is possible. You might have to do some new plumbing from the compressor to the tank and drill some new mounting holes on the tank. I would think a 5hp motor would be sufficient for this pump as it does have an unloader.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:45 AM

Last photo:

Well first off that's an Eaton compressor and up until recently they were recommended highly by almost everyone here because of their dependability and performance. Their reputation for reliability and performance is good however their attitude toward their customers may not be so good, they have threatened to sue Jon and this site because one of the members mentioned (just asked actually) that Eaton compressors are made in China which is true! Before you buy please read this thread and then make up your own mind if you still want to deal with these people.

Eaton Compressor threatens to sue me over "Made in China" compressor post

As far as your question about the pump we would need a lot more info on what you have but from your description of your compressor I can probably guess. I am thinking you have a 60 gallon tank (you said that much) with a two cylinder single stage pump and a 15 AMP motor. It may be rated as high as 6 HP, maybe even a bit higher, but that will be "Peak HP" and as such the HP rating is greatly exaggerated and completely useless. Look at the AMP rating on the motor data plate because that is what matters and just ignore any stated HP ratings, it is in reality only about 3 1/2 HP. If I am correct in my estimation of your equipment then obviously this pump is too big for what you have and will not work. Those Eaton pumps are generally over-sized anyway so they can be turned slowly which is a good thing but that would prevent you from using it by changing pulleys to slow it down even more, a method which is sometimes used to turn a large pump with a small motor.

A single stage pump is not quite as efficient as a two stage meaning the two stage will tend to run cooler, quieter, turn slower and generally can produce a little more CFM for a given amount of power. The two stage pump will also generally last longer and be slightly cheaper to run due to it's better efficiency and a two stage can also be used to produce a higher top pressure, usually ranging from around 145 PSI to 175 PSI while the single stage will top out at about 125 PSI. The 125 PSI is high enough for most anything you will need it for however but the higher pressure of the two stage will serve to store more air volume for a given tank size. Since the two stage can compress air more efficiently at higher pressures this will allow for more air volume for the amount of energy used.

Last edited by oldred; 09-03-2009 at 08:08 AM.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.