Hot Rod Forum banner

Compressor Question

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  deadbodyman 
#1 ·
Friend of mine has this compressor:

It's ugly, but it works, and kicks butt. I looked around and it seems like compressors with these kinds of heads are VERY expensive, like $3000 and up.

Any idea what this thing is worth? Anything? $25? $250?

See less See more
#3 ·
hi jsup, do you still have your C4? met you at DC. i was going to say it is a 50/50 crap shoot even if it does run. but aftering pondering your question between commercials i don't think i would touch it with a 10 foot pole, here's why:

is that a rivited air tank in those pics?? i have never seen one and i have been working in shops with compressors since the late 60s, and they had old compressors at that time. rust inside the tank will cause it to rupture and you will have a bad day. the pump looks like it needs a rebuild (it looks rusty/crusty) can you even find parts to do a rebuild?? what condition is the motor in??? who knows. i wouldn't take a chance on blowing myself up with that thing. there is nothing in the pics to give it scale, but from the electrics it looks kind of small.
i bought a 60 gal. campbell-hausfield upright compressor about 5 years ago new with a cast iron pump,it was $399. i use it about 5 days a week, it has been trouble free and will drive everything (including my bead blaster and sandblaster). i drain the water out of the tank regulary. i know its history, who knows the history of that compressor. pass on it unless you are looking for a novelty item to put in a corner of your garage for display (then i'd offer $25) but as a working compressor-->FORGET IT.. :thumbup:

#4 ·
It looks home made ,water tank should be replaced,I wouldn't trust it,You should see my compressor,it runs the whole shop,has for 9rs,two body men and a painter.Iv'e built many,many of them.A true painter must know all aspects of paint including air supply and trouble shooting,youll learn much from that beast,do this though , change tank for safty and better quaility air,replace pressure cut off switches,and please get rid of the intake the chicky wire just looks nasty ,I used a holly 2bbl air cleaner it looks cool. need help ? :cool just PM me good luck and be safe :thumbup: :thumbup:

#6 ·
Is that an old Brunner? I have not seen one of those old riveted tanks in years and even then it was on an antique! I don't think they have made riveted tanks since the early 20's so that thing is OLD for sure, regardless of how long it has been used or how well it runs don't trust it because that tank can get you or someone else killed!!! It certainly would be a good candidate for restoration for a museum piece but to use as a source for compressed air it would be extremely risky at best. I suppose if you want to clean it up, change the pump oil and REPLACE THE TANK it may make a useful compressor but if anything breaks it would be finished so don't invest much in it.

You might want to consider this- clean it up and paint it (riveted tank and all), replace any lines/fittings that may be in bad shape then run air line behind the old tank into a hidden new tank then take your air from the new tank leaving the old one intact but UNPRESSURIZED. You would have a real conversation piece for sure! :)

#7 ·
The pump has service valves on the heads. The only pumps that came that way were refrigeration compressors. Rebuild with a new reciever tank and controls. Change oil on the pump (after cleaning) it should run till your too old to work on cars. Those pumps wer made to run 24/7 forever.

#8 ·
On second thought after looking at the end of that tank (RH side in the picture) it does not appear to be an air tank since that is a concave end. This would indeed seem to be some kind of home made rig after all and as such would be completely worthless from an antique standpoint. Best retire that thing to the scrap yard since it would cost more than it is worth to get into any safe and real usable condition, even if it makes a decent amount of air now it is anything but safe- That much is certain!

#10 ·
oldred said:
You might want to consider this- clean it up and paint it (riveted tank and all), replace any lines/fittings that may be in bad shape then run air line behind the old tank into a hidden new tank then take your air from the new tank leaving the old one intact but UNPRESSURIZED. You would have a real conversation piece for sure! :)

That would be really neat... set the tank on its end so the concave side is down, out of sight. :) As for what I said earlier, I would replace the tank, and make sure the motor is oiled and the compressor is in good shape (remove rust, check it for cracks, change oil) before putting it into service. My air compressor is based off an old refrigeration compressor and ancient motor, but the tank is newer for safety sake.
-Matt

#11 ·
ChevelleSS_LS6 said:
That would be really neat... set the tank on its end so the concave side is down, out of sight. :) As for what I said earlier, I would replace the tank, and make sure the motor is oiled and the compressor is in good shape (remove rust, check it for cracks, change oil) before putting it into service. My air compressor is based off an old refrigeration compressor and ancient motor, but the tank is newer for safety sake.
-Matt

I don't think so I really didn't look that pic over very well the first time and assumed it was an old antique compressor, it's not it's just a cobbled together rig that in all likelihood would be dangerous to even be near!

#16 ·
He He,I call em disposable,thats why they have wheels,to make it easier to through out with the trash.One advantage though ,you'll never find an easier compressor to rebuild.The ring takes about five minutes to replace ,only one screw holdind it on and no crankcase to take apart. Way too noisy for me though,a 100ft. hose dont get you far enough away to hear radio

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.