Guys - Thanks for all the great feedback. At this point I am leaning VERY heavily towards the Lowes Kobalt 2 stage unit based on the following:
1. It appears to have adequate CFM @ 90 psi - 17.1.
2. The specs appear to reflect a legitimate 5HP (see tag pic).
3. It is a 2-stage unit and should run cooler, last longer, probably be (relatively) quiet
4. It has an excellent CFM per dollar ratio (under $1K at my door)
5. I am doing this as a hobby. Like many home users I expect this thing to sit idle for weeks on end, and as such I think is a good compromise between the $1300/$1500 compressors, and the $400 "cheapies" - when did $400 become cheap?
The 80 gallon tank is nice, but didn't really factor into my decision that much - I needed a vertical unit for space saving, but 60 or 80 was fine.
The pic isn't on the Lowes website, but I found these two pics on the web. Note the pic of the tag showing the "real" specs - seem fairly respectable.
Any strong disagreement with this choice (keep in mind item 5)?