Compressor - Single vs. Dual Stage - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2007, 08:05 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

how is this compressor working after the last year?

it's selling for only $799 at lowes now. i need something to run a sandblaster, paint, d/a, etc. i was leaning towards this one too.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2007, 04:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheimer
it's selling for only $799 at lowes now. i need something to run a sandblaster, paint, d/a, etc. i was leaning towards this one too.
I've had one for over a year now and it works just fine for me. It runs quite a bit when using a D/A or my sandblaster but I never have to wait for it to catch up. I think it is a very good choice for a home shop.

Danny
Old 02-05-2007, 09:08 PM

Last photo:

I've only used mine with an air ratchet, air cutoff wheel, and air impact at this point, but it has worked w/o issue for those tasks.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:54 AM

Last photo:

As an update to my own thread, the other "home improvement store" compressor I looked at was a Home Depot Husky 2-stage. When you look at the big shiny label it appeared similar to the Lowes Kobalt 2-stage and was about $50 more. However, when I looked at the amp draw on the motor it was apparent there was a BIG difference...the Husky showed a 16.5 amp draw vs. 22 for the Kobalt (i.e. the Kobalt would be closer to it's running 5HP rating). Today, however, I noticed another "number" that is perhaps more telling than the technical amps, etc. on one of the other forums. That individual indicated he had purchased the Husky unit I once looked at. He stated that it did meet his needs, but was loud, and ran longer than he would like - it also took 14 minutes to fill the 80 gallon tank. My Kobalt unit also has an 80 gallon tank so I decided to time it today to see just how long it takes to fill it in comparison from empty...approximately 7.5 minutes was the result! I know other compressors are significantly faster than mine, and are definitely quieter, but given my infrequent use I am still happy with this compressor at its price point.

Hope this helps wtih an A/B comparison.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:32 PM

Last photo:

I'm in the same boat as you. I had a Craftsman 30 gal. vert. with a supposedly 6 hp oiless motor, which is total BS. Now this thing is fine if you don't use any big air tools or if you're partially deaf to start with (very loud).

After reading these last bunch of posts on the bigger commercial type compressors I sold it to a neighbor for $225 and bought the Kobalt 60 gal. unit for $499 at Lowes. All I had to do was change the receptical on my 220v outlet, rig up an 8 ft. 10 ga. line and plug her in. Much quieter and at 13.3 cfm @ 90 it will have all the capacity that I need. Much thanks to all the guys that contributed to this post.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:43 PM

Last photo:

14 min. to fill that 80 gal tank that's what I have been trying to say forever, a BIG TANK does not make a big compressor! All too often when discussing compressors the tank size is given as the first item when giving performance specs, such as "80 gal 5 HP compressor". These two "specs" are about the least of the concerns when selecting a compressor because a big tank size has little to do with performance (in spite of popular belief) and quite often, as in this case, does more harm than good. HP numbers are usually so far off they mean nothing and manufacturers know that a great many people will run straight to the biggest tank in the store no matter what the CFM rating so that is why you see these ridiculously oversized tanks with tiny pumps. That is also a very good example of why it is a waste of time and money to add extra tank capacity in an attempt to gain performance yet it is not at all uncommon to hear that very recommendation.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:36 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

any thoughts on a 7.5hp , 2stage machine? When spring arrives just for grins I change the oil every year. oldred , thanks for the info about the design of the 2stage. I noticed on the parts breakdown that the pistons were of different size and always wondered about that one... killer knowledge!

Last edited by pepi; 03-15-2007 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:52 PM

Last photo:

7.5 hp machine from a reputable brand such as Quincy, Eaton, IR, etc will be more than enough to run anything you and a buddy working at the same time would ever need and would probably be overkill if you will be working alone. I went with the 5 hp because I was going to be working alone most of the time & because it draws less juice & have never had a time that I've wished I went with a larger unit. If you are planning on doing a lot of sandblasting might be a reason to get the bigger unit but just running air tools the 5hp (real 5 hp NOT sears or peak hp) has worked well for me. Mine will pump up 0-140 lbs in around 6 min & kicks in at 110 psi and takes 52 sec to reach 140 psi & shut off with a 80 gal tank.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:23 PM

kobalt 80 gal compressor problem

this is to cab, i believe i have the same compressor as you. kobalt 80 gal dual stage 5.2 running hp 17.5 scfm@100psi, 175 max psi. my compressor is still under warranty and i've been having problems with compressor since i have had it. when the compressor kicks on it fills the tank up with air but when the tank gets full the release valves on compressor starts popping and the belt starts squealing and if u dont shut it off it will probably lock up. i think i might know what the problem is. when i bought compressor the on and off knob was broke loose so they knocked a little off the price. when i look in manual it says the on,off switch has something to do with the pressure, if im reading it right.is anyone familiar with this.i can return it to lowes and get new one. but having to go through trouble of loading it up and hauling it to lowes plus the only model they have now in a 80 gal is a single stage 4.7 running hp. does anyone know if it is hard to replace that switch or if its the problem.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:37 PM

Last photo:

Mine hasn't exhibited any of those problems. When it fills up, it shuts off and releases some air, and then kicks back on as I use the air up. It does sound like perhaps that switch is messed up on yours, but I don't have any experience with replacing it I'm afraid.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroberts882
this is to cab, i believe i have the same compressor as you. kobalt 80 gal dual stage 5.2 running hp 17.5 scfm@100psi, 175 max psi. my compressor is still under warranty and i've been having problems with compressor since i have had it. when the compressor kicks on it fills the tank up with air but when the tank gets full the release valves on compressor starts popping and the belt starts squealing and if u dont shut it off it will probably lock up. i think i might know what the problem is. when i bought compressor the on and off knob was broke loose so they knocked a little off the price. when i look in manual it says the on,off switch has something to do with the pressure, if im reading it right.is anyone familiar with this.i can return it to lowes and get new one. but having to go through trouble of loading it up and hauling it to lowes plus the only model they have now in a 80 gal is a single stage 4.7 running hp. does anyone know if it is hard to replace that switch or if its the problem.

Hi, I see you are new here,

A couple of things , first you are over 3 years late since this thread was back in 2007 so his problem has probably long since been solved.

As for your problem you obviously have a faulty or mis-wired pressure switch. If that switch has been damaged as you have suggested it would be a very bad idea to try and repair it so you need to replace it with a new one, they are easy to find and not all that costly. What you should do is to first shut off the power from the breaker box and drain ALL the air from the tank. Find the model number and have Lowes or another service center order that pressure switch so you have the right one for that compressor. If you can't get one that way for some reason then you could still buy a switch from another source, just make SURE it is rated for the HP rating of the motor, that it has the proper cut-on/off settings and that it has a provision for the unloader valve/line (most of them in that size range will have that function). If you feel the least bit confused about how to do this, and a lot of people do, then by all means get someone qualified to do it for you, especially the electrical part. Most any electrician would probably change out that switch for you.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:14 PM

kobalt 80 gal compressor problem

sorry didn't realize thread was that old, when sign up to thread it said something about 100 days so automatically thought that is when this thread took place. i called Lowe's head quarters and they said the company that built that air compressor went out of business (coleman) and that i would not be able to get any kobalt parts for this air compressor. they told me i could bring it back to the store and swap it out for another one, but the thing is the only one they have in that size is a single stage 4.7 hp. my air compressor is a two stage 5.2 hp. i don't want to go down to a single stage because i use a sandblaster sometimes. my air compressor is a kobalt 80 gal 2 stage 5.2 running hp, 240 volts, 22 amps, 1 phase. kick in pressure 145 and kick-out pressure 175. does anyone have any idea where i can get a pressure switch compatible for this compressor going by these specs. thanks

Last edited by sroberts882; 08-18-2010 at 09:39 PM. Reason: forgot to put text in
Old 08-18-2010, 09:58 PM

Last photo:

No need to apologize you did nothing wrong I was just pointing out the thread was old. As for the switch that should be no problem to find, you might try Surplus Center or even a Tractor Supply if there is one nearby or you can order from Tractor Supply.

www.surpluscenter.com

You are right, you definitely don't want to trade that outfit for that single stage unit, certainly not just because of that switch! Actually swapping out the pressure switch is one of the more common maintenance items on a compressor and most places that have compressors and parts keep them on hand, the local Tractor Supply store here has a good selection of them. Just one thing DON'T let someone sell you one that has different pressure settings (minor differences of 10 PSI or less will be OK except don't go higher on the cutoff pressure) and tell you that you can adjust it to make it work. It is not simple to do and the adjustment range is usually fairly narrow. I have seen so many problems resulting from people "adjusting" on that switch that I firmly believe it should be illegal to sell one with adjusting screws, just buy the right switch!

Last edited by oldred; 08-18-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:48 PM

Information on air compressors

If you want some more information about air compressors, check out this website:
Best Cheap air compressros

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.