Hot Rod Forum banner

Compressor Suggestions

5K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  oldred 
#1 ·
I'm going to be painting my 70 mustang fastback. I bought a Devilbiss Finishline 3 gun to replace my super cheapo $25 gun that I was using to do spot work. This gun is a bit of an air hog, requiring 13 CFM @23 PSI and I know my Craftsman 5.5hp 25gal comp that only puts out 8@90 just isn't going to cut it. Any suggestions on something I've been looking at Northern tool 60 gal compressors, specifically the Industrial Air ILA7006056. Any input or suggestions, I'll be painting maybe a total car once or twice in 3 years. Mostly running mechanic air tools....rachets and chisels....Thanks for the advice

#2 ·
You did'nt say how much you are willing to spend and there are dozens of choices out there in a wide price range. From what you say you intend to do with it you should get by just fine with a single stage in the 12 to 14, maybe a bit less, CFM range which should not be all that expensive. If you have not done so already you might want to search "compressor" since there have been a bunch of discussions on this subject and there is a lot to know in order to make the right decision because the compressor builders have not been exactly truthful with their performance claims. The most important thing about a compressor is the CFM rating because if that number is low then nothing else will matter so look for that before all else. You can get by with a lower CFM rating than the 13 CFM required by the gun since that is at only 23 PSI and a compressor will usually be rated at 90 PSI so one with as little as 10 CFM@90 PSI will come fairly close to what you would need plus your gun is not in use constantly giving the compressor some time to recover. A DA sander would be another story and to power one of those you will either have to go with a larger compressor in the 15 16 CFM range or plan on spending some time waiting for the compressor to catch up. Don't spend extra money for an 80 gallon tank because a 60 is just fine and contrary to popular belief the bigger tank, assuming the same CFM, will not help keep up with your tools and never pass up more CFM to get a bigger tank! As far as brands both Northern Tool and Tractor Supply carry Ingersoll Rand which is a VERY good compressor and will last for many years if properly cared for and they do put out a decent air flow but unfortunately they too are guilty of inflated numbers on some models, one very popular single stage 5 HP model with a 60 gallon tank in particular. That thing is rated at, I believe, 18.2 CFM@90 PSI which would be nearly impossible with that pump/motor combo and about 14 CFM would be more like it and probably even a bit less so even the big brand names need to be watched closely.

#3 ·
Thanks, I've done alot of searching and reading on the subject and I get the feeling alot of input is formulated more on personnal preference rather than actual fact. Also many people asking about compressors are talking about spraying a few cars a month. I have seen the IR's and I'd like to keep the price under 600. I can afford double that, especially seeing as it's now getting too cold to spray in the NE, that is if I wait until spring. I'll probably buy sooner if I find what I need for under 600. I have a Lowe's and HomeDepot very close to home, and I like Northern's free shipping. I'll check out the tractor supply site now. I her most saying "bigger is better" but paying for more than I need, especially when I will probably only spray 1 or 2 cars. That just doesn't sound like a smart move. An 80 gallon, 2 stage, 7hp unit is just way too much for my needs. This thing will probably be used 4 times a year. The biggest consumer of air I'm going to run is this gun, my air ratchet is the most used tool and it runs on a ballon hooked to a hose. :p . Thanks

#4 ·
Sounds like you can get by just fine on one of the "econo" compressors. I don't have much personal experience with them but the Kobalt compressors from the home stores seem to be quite popular and some of the guys here like them quite well. Also even though it might seem like the last place you might want to buy a compressor Harbor Freight actually has Puma compressors at really good prices sometimes.

#5 ·
I greatly appreciate the time and the reassurance. I'm definitely going with a 60 gal. I've got it narrowed down to either one of the Kobalts from Lowes, the Industrial Air ILA7006056, or go for the IR SS3L3. Once again I do appreciate that and didn't want to get a 80 gal 2 stage $1300 compressor for such limited use.

#7 ·
I've heard bad things about HF, but I also understand Puma isn't their "house" brand. I'll add that one to my list. Thanks again, I'll be chiming in more frequently under other topics as I begin to customize my girl...er..car. Drawing plans up for a custom console now, and a custom hidden stereo. Thanks again, I have alot of reading ahead of me throughout this site.

#8 ·
As far as the Puma Compressors, let me say this. Back in about 1986 or so, I bought one from Builder's Square, a home improvement store. That compressor was put thru the wringer until about 2-3 years ago, when the pump went out. In all honesty, I didn't do any preventative maintenance on it during that time, and really abused it. It should not have been that trusty, seeing the way it was treated.

Now, I know that they do build different models for some stores, like they did for Builder's Square, but they put their name on them. I would not hesitate to buy another one of theirs.

Aaron

#9 · (Edited)
I like the V type pump design, a bit more efficient because of the better cooling so it can make better use of the power available. Also for an "econo" compressor Puma does have a decent reputation, it is not an Ingersoll but then it does not cost as much as an Ingersoll either. I was actually surprised when I first saw them at HF but HF does have a few name brands such as Dewalt and even Milwaukee but these are not priced like HF tools and are usually no cheaper there than anywhere else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.