compressor vs welder - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2002, 12:40 AM

Last journal entry: Some pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post compressor vs welder

Ok which would you get first if you had neither. I get an extra discount for christmas at work. I have decided to get either a welder or a compressor. I can get either at about the same price depending on which model I choose. All are Campbell Hausfeld products. The compressors aren't as high a capacity as I would like, but they are a damn sight better than what I have now.

The cheaper compressor puts out only 5.5 scfm at 90psi. But it does come with a tool kit. It has a 13 gallon tank. The next one up puts out about the same 5.5 scfm, but it has a 13 gallon tank. No tool kit, but it is a little cheaper.

I don't know all the specs on the top end welder, but I have picked out the closest I can tell from the CH website. It is a mig/flux welder. At our local store it retails for 254 or so(somewhere inbetween the two compressors). 80amps I believe. I would probably do a few other projects to learn before I started on my car. But I learn quick enough and should be able to pick it up real quick.

I know either would be a real help in fixing up the old cutlass, but I am not sure which would help more. I need both. On the compressor it would help right away, but I also need to start learning to weld because that rust ain't going to get any better by itself.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2002, 04:20 AM
Tazz

Last photo:

Cool

Thats a hard question to answer,but I got my compressor first. The little 13 gal tank job won't be big enough for long. The tools use a lot of air and are expensive. Make sure to buy tool oil to add to the tools before using them. I bought a Lincoln welder, 125 mig with gas bottle in the package. Been great to weld body work and frame repairs, good little 110 vlt welder, cost about $300 a few years back. The compressor cost $365 and was american made with cast iron heads with steel sleves, that was 10 years ago. My latest aqusition was a used plasma cutter from a tool rental store, bought it for $7oo greatest think since sliced bread! Bought and older rebuilt upright duel stage compressor for $250, it has to be 30 years old but I never run out of air, I think its a 60 gallon tank. I buy used when I can, save a few bucks, someone is always upgrading their garage. I have been repairing cars for 40 years, building rods for 15 years and have accumulated more stuff than a 3 car two bay garage can hold. Get whats most important to YOU. Room, I need to buy more room, maybe another bay or two, just to put the cars in. LOL
Old 12-04-2002, 12:37 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

if your going to get a compressor and you want to use body tools like da's and grinders and such you will need a compressor that puts out at least 10 to 12 cfm. if not you will have to stop every few muinites to let the compressor build up. go with a 220v. compressor it will use half the amperage of a 110v.

my compressor is a 220v. but it only puts out about 5 cfm. so its horrible for body work and i have an 80 gallon tank. although it works fine for regular shop tools like air ratchets and impact guns.

i know that the high cfm are expensive but if you plan on useing your garage for restorations and want to get a lot of use out of it, even if you have to wait a little make the investment this will be the backbone of your shop and you'll be thankfull that you did.
Old 12-04-2002, 01:29 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Get the compressor, but don't get the oiless type. They make a hell of a racket, I know thats what I have in my garage. The twin cylinder version with the biggest tank you can afford is probably the best for your needs right now. I purchased the small oiless version and although I am happy with it's performance it makes a he11 of a racket and does not have the volume needed for large paint jobs. I purchased it because I needed something for the track and home and well...that 40 gallon 220 volt compressor is not travelling with me hundreds of miles taking up valuable spares space, I had to compromise. Never mind no race track I have been too has more than one plug to service your entire pit and it certainly is not 220 volt 3 phase.

The twin bore piston pump about 4 horsepower will plug nicely into a standard 120 volt 15 amp breaker (without popping it!) and do 90% of what you need to do, just having compressed air is a novelty on it's own. I really hated using 12 dollar compressed air canisters just to blow out a hole.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-04-2002, 10:31 PM
banned

That is a tough choice... on one hand you have something that can run several specialy tools... on the other you have a welder that you can weld so many things.. including but not limited to, body, frame, rollcage, rear end mountings, or just piss around with it

I dunno... I would say that you have to look at which one you see yourself using more often..
Old 12-07-2002, 08:26 PM

Last photo:

Doh I just noticed something in the first post. the second compressor without the tool kit has a 26 gallon tank. Not a 13 gallon tank. It is the Cambel Hausfeld WL6111.

The welder is a C.H. WG2020, 115v, 80 amp(I assume that is what the 80 stands for) mig/flux welder. Honestly I would probably feel more safe with a new welder. By that I mean if I chose between buying a compressor used or a welder used, I think that I would feel more safe buying a used compressor. Right or wrong I feel more worried about a short in a used welder than I do about something going wrong with a used compressor.
Old 12-07-2002, 08:35 PM
banned

used compressor could end up having a bunch of leaks...
Old 12-07-2002, 08:54 PM

I would get the welder. you can buy cheap electric power tools for almost anything you want to do from harbor Freight. But I think I would go for a little better (or should I say bigger) welder.. The cheaper ones just don't have the power that your going to need.. Just my opinion tho....GlennK
Old 12-08-2002, 09:34 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

W,
Go for the welder and shop around for a used compressor. A welder can be used for everything. Weimer just bought a used compressor, 80gal, 2 stage for a couple of hundred. Darn good deal as it was almost new. Shop around in Trading Post if you have it or other advertiser mags that is similiar.

Kevin
Old 12-08-2002, 09:12 PM

Last photo:

Glen K. the welder says it will do from 24 ga sheet metal to 3/16ths thick metal. Wouldn't that be good enough for most welding I would be doing?
Old 12-10-2002, 08:47 PM

Last photo:

Well i am going to bump this up. Basically I have decided to get the welder. I can use it to build some weight lifting equipment for learning. And once I have a little skill I can start on some of the sheet metal work.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:06 AM

Welder or Compressor ?

This sounds a bit mean, but if your wondering which to get, sounds like you can't afford either. Cheap " poser " tools are a constant heartbreak, and if
funds are low much more so. The world is full of pro quality used tools,
and I'd go that route. As for your discount, spend it on expendables, and a
few, good quality hand tools, save up and watch local papers for bargains.

Check around Welding Supply, Auto Parts, and Body Shop supply stores for shops going out of business, and shops upgrading. Study the market, and learn prices. CASH talks, Credit Cards and Checks walks.

I'd start with a Welder, use it to make a knockout work bench [ out of
used, low cost stock ] The Compressor can come later, make sure your shop can handle the Electrical demands before buying * anything * The welder will facilitate special fixtures, make mock ups out of wood, than make real thing out of steel. The compressor is only as useful as the accessories you have for it. Again, cheap junk is a heartbreak, buy good air tools.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:24 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

It is probably too late, the last post in this thread is just shy of 4 years old.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.