Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Comp's L79 Nostalgia Cam ?

23K views 68 replies 9 participants last post by  jokerZ71 
#1 ·
Looking & planning a possible 327 build in the future & came across this cam.It is spose to be a modern version of the L79 camshaft.Original cam specs were DUR @ .050 =I 222/E 222. LSA/ICL= 114/??? Lift = .447/.447. Specs for the L79 Nostalgia cam = DUR @ .050=I 229/E 236. LSA/ICL = 112/108. Lift = .468/.462. Has anybody used this cam? Will it make good power,or,is it just for noise & show? I heard the idle on youtube.It sounded good @ idle,but,I didn't anything about the performance of it.

#49 ·
Everyone talks about matching your cam to your APPLICATION (not just compression, or heads, or any other singular item), but truth be told that I take notice every time I pull next to an LS1 Camaro or TA with a far too large cam for the application. Those guys are running 240+ duration on a car at a stop light- if your car ever comes up to a stop light that's far too much duration, BUT it sounds damn cool.

We all know how to properly chose a cam, but most of us still find some way of justifying going a little bigger, just because that sound (and smell) is just as much a part of hotrodding as going fast.

In my book there's not a damn thing wrong with choosing a cam for sound- AS LONG AS you realize you're leaving a lot of power and speed on the table.

#57 ·
its 434 cubic inch small block gen 1
I run a 6k chip when on the street
I can drive at 60 mph if 5th gear at 2000 rpm
it comes alive at 3500,the tires will break loose in second gear at 3500 rpm.
in first gear ,any rpm
heads flow 327 cfm,forgot to include that(tested)
tires are 27.5 tall

#60 ·
I've looked @ several for my truck previously including fabbing 1 like you mentioned.I'll use a GM 0411 controller,mostly becuz if I run an electronic 4 spd I'll need to control it as well.I also like the Ramjet,but,it is only for Vortec heads.A complete Pro Flo XT is over 3K,but,if you use the GM controller & piece it together,you'can do it for half that including tuning.Same for the Ramjet.The TB Pro Flo is a good system as well.They also have a set up as you describe that uses a Vic Jr intake(I think).I Love EFI.Initial tuning may be kinda hairy,but,once you get it dialed in,it's done.No more fiddling,or,making adjustments unless you make a major change.

#66 ·
I looked at that fi Vic Jr. intake they have but the power curve starts at 3500 rpm. I had a standard Vic Jr. on a 350 Chevy with a small stall convertor and 4.10 gears. It was in a 55 Chevy stepside and moved out pretty well. I never felt that it was short on power down low so the 3500 they start the power curve at has me a little skeptical. Especially if it was running mpfi.

Megasquirt makes a controller for 4l60's and 4l80's too called the Megashift. The prices on all this stuff isn't really that bad. I'm sure using the stock stuff and reflashing it would work but think the Megasquirt stuff would be less of a hassle.

MegaShift - (c) 2004, 2012 Bowling and Grippo

Their newest MS3X system is self learning too if you set it up with a wide band 02. You load it with a curve that is close to your engine combo and then it tunes itself from there. Another thing I like about this system is that if you are running a mpfi manifold you can run it sequentially instead of batch mode like a stock system. It seems like you would get much better drive-ability and power.

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/index.php

I'm not trying to talk you out of using the stock computer but didn't know if you knew about the new stuff they had available. It's definitely not the cheapest but the features that are available make the system really tempting. :mwink: There are multiple systems available so you kind of tailor it to your needs.

The MS3X also comes with built in bluetooth so you can run the software on a smart phone if you wanted to.

#64 ·
. Vinnie, pardon my ignorance, but what do the numbers 1,2,5 represent at the end of the cam specs?
Thinwhiteduke, I don't think this was ever answered. 1 is "Stock valve springs can not be used.". 2 is "requires thrust button.". 5 is "Requires upgraded distributor gear."

Vinnie's recommendations are usually for Howards Cams (with good reason). If you download the Howards catalog the numbers for the notes are on page 96.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.