Computer engine simulations - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2006, 12:18 PM
I dun learned sumthin

Wiki Edits: 0

Computer engine simulations

I was wondering what you guys think about computer programs like desktop dyno. I have been thinking about getting one of these programs but am not sure which to get. The two big ones seem to be desktop dyno and engine analyzer. Which would you guys recomend?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2006, 02:19 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Because the nature of this question has more to do with ENGINE Horsepower.....I am moving this question to the Engine Forums section......where you should receive most and hopefully better informed answers.....

Deuce....Moderator....
Old 04-20-2006, 04:53 PM

We use EA Pro all the time. I have used Desktop dyno as well. EA Pro is a much better and more accurate program simply because it's much more sophiticated. That also makes it much more complicated to use correctly. You'll have to spend some time learning how to input all the data. It's also more expensive. The greatest value to EA is the amount of feedback data you get on an analysis. That feedback data provides a ton of direction on how to make the engine perform better.

If this is just a hobby and your not designing engines then DD 2000 is a better choice. It will get you close with off the shelf stuff you commonly find in catalogs.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:06 PM
I dun learned sumthin

I couldn't find any price info on EA. What does it cost reletivily to DD2000
Old 04-20-2006, 06:07 PM

Rick is right. EA Pro is very expensive when compared to DD. And very complex. It even permits the entry of specific geometry information related to the shape of the ports, I'm told.

Personally, I have both DD2000 and EA (not pro) plus. The plus is a set of accessory functions for EA (again, not pro). EA alone, I think is superior to DD. In fact, when I got my most recent computer, I don't think I even loaded DD on it. I may have, but I'm not using it at all. EA (again, not pro) permits inputs of a wide variety, including a lot of specific header information related to both primary and collector length and size. You are given a large database of parametric information, easily loaded by product name (i.e. Performer RPM intake) to set up the limits and characteristic variables that the program uses for the various engine components. You can add additional information if you like. For instance, if a "new" cylinder head becomes available, you can input its chamber size, general chamber shape, and actual flow bench numbers (up to 10, I think, per valve) creating a part file for the "new" head. You can also add a "new" hydraulic cam. BTW -- I think EA (again, not pro) has the full Comp catalog of cams for small block Chevys already built right into the program. And, you can download it free from their website to try it, then call Kevin with your credit card info, and he'll give you passcodes to make your sample copy into a full-up working copy. No delays. You can probably tell I like it. But, rest assured, I do not have any affiliation with them except as a customer. It's a cool product. DD is OK, but I really like EA. Check out http:www.performancetrends.com

109 or so, purchased direct.

Pat
Old 04-20-2006, 06:30 PM

If you have the money you may want to check out Dynomation.

Dynomation

Tmod
Old 04-20-2006, 07:00 PM
I dun learned sumthin

Yeah right! Im not going to put 400 dollars into a simulator. But thanks for the idea.

I did download a demo of EA and messed around with it for a while. Seems like a good program and may end up buying it.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:19 PM
Gotta love the classics

Last photo:

well i hacked mine off of limewire, it works fine
Old 04-20-2006, 09:01 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

desktop dyno, never built an engine with info I used, too bad I can't build diesels on it! (diesels... )

it's fun to play around with, and have competitions with friends about engine building within certain parameters to see who can build the most powerful, or most torquey engine.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:20 AM
I dun learned sumthin

Thanks everybody I did download EA's demo and I like it so I will probably go that route. Thanks again.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.