Computer geeks - I need help! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2004, 09:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Computer geeks - I need help!

OK, this is as far from a car question as I can come up with! How can I get good stills from a movie clip on Real Player? My grandson went to see National Treasure last week and wants a copy of that meerschaum pipe that as the key clue to solving the mystery. I can carve one, make a silicone mold and cast it in white urethane resin and come up with a great copy but I can't get a good still photo? When I pause the movie trailer to a good still of the pipe, hit Print Screen, then paste it into PaintShop pro, the picture seems to be there. However, the scene seems to still be alive and if I move the PaintShop picture window the scene stays still and moves out of the screen! If I try to print it or save it, it disappears. I have tried everything I can think of to turn it into a static image to no avail. There HAS to be a way to do this. Help!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2004, 11:08 PM
Time is short, are you ready?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Try Windows Movie Maker

I wouldn't consider myself a geek, but I have been accused of working for Rush Limbaugh (lol). Does that qualify?

You may be able to use Windows Movie Maker. Best part is, it is FREE! Every computer I have had recently (say 3 in the last five years) has this installed from the factory.

Open Windows Movie Maker

Goto File > Import into Collections

Browse for the file you want to import, in your case a movie trailer. Highlight the file and click "Import".

If it is a big file, say 10+MB, you need to let it take a few minutes to load. If you try to do anything with it right away, for some reason it locks up and you have to "Ctrl-Alt-Del", End Task and try again.

Now, once it has loaded, the clip will show up on the little monitor on the right hand side of the screen. If all goes well, you can hit play and watch the entire movie on the little screen. You can slide the progress bar to the section of the clip you want to print a still of. Once you get the frame you want to print, click on the little camera at the bottom right hand of the little screen. When the pointer hovers over the camera button it will say "Take Picture". You can rename the file and choose a file location if you wish. Click "Save" and you should have a JPG of the frame you want.

Windows Movie Maker is an awesome little tool. I use it to make the video clips (from a DVD camcorder) for the website I built and maintain for my friend who is a driver in the USAR Hooters ProCup Series. The cars are basically Busch cars but they are exclusively a short-track series. You can see the the car specs with pictures at www.bennygordon.us They actually run mufflers!

You can clip, add titles, transitions, mix video and pictures, etc. It also lets you compress original MPEG files so that you can post on the internet and not kill someone's computer with a big download. I try to keep my clips less than 2,000 KB. That's still pretty long for a dial-up connection, but not too bad. Here are two clips I made:

http://www.bennygordon.us/car/engine_idling.wmv
http://www.bennygordon.us/photos/pho...4/102304-1.wmv

Here is an example I just used to create a picture from a movie clip using Windows Movie Maker.

The video: http://www.edgesz28.com/edgesz28/jok...undbarrier.wmv

Now, here is a still I made:

Just like that! No problem. Let me know if you need any more help, Ed www.edgesz28.com
Old 12-22-2004, 01:31 AM

Last photo:

Part of the problem might be in copy protection or in the original encoding of scan lines to have it broadcast on television

I pulled a capture off the apple streaming version and will post it.. its not very clear however =(

I clipped mine the easy way... I hit the "print screen" button on the keyboard.. opened paint, and pasted. Its a feature most people have forgotten about =)

If you can find me a better source in video, I can rip it.... I am also looking for stills on the web...

-Take care,
-Me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pipe1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	3414  
Old 12-22-2004, 08:58 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Thanks guys knew there had to be a way! Edge, if you worked for Rush you are a patriot! I guess I need to dig into Windows Movie Maker.

Mike; There is a pretty good shot of it here @ 1:09 time of 'National Treasure' Theatrical Trailer No.2.

And several good shots here @ 6:48, 6:51, 6:52, 6:53, 6:55, & 7:07. That last one is the one you posted I think.

Amazingly there are no still photos on the web.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:30 PM

Last photo:

Copyright Protection?

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelSBarker
Part of the problem might be in copy protection or in the original encoding of scan lines to have it broadcast on television
Wow, that is a tough nut to crack!

I see what you mean MichaelSBarker. My suggestion was based on having the file on your harddrive. This one is above me.

Oh well, if you want to compress or edit other videos, now you know a cheap and easy way to do it. Good luck Willys, Ed.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:20 PM

Last photo:

Hey, Here is a decent one with a few fingers in the way...

I'll try to rip the others later tonight (oh, around 2 AM EST for a more clear definition of 'tonight') .. I have to go now or I'll be late for work

-Michael

One more thing.. this is where I got the best vid from.. yahoo was a toned down version.. the short trailer ( #2,.. listed as number 3 on the site for some reason) was like 26 megabytes in the 'full screen' resolution.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/nati...e/trailers.php

-Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pipe2.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	3419  
Old 12-22-2004, 01:38 PM

Last photo:

You beat me to it

I found this trailer with the same scene, but mine is smaller.

http://movies.apple.com/movies/touch...re-tlr_480.mov

Here is one that came from a Windows Media Player, but not clear at all:

That's probably the best I can do. Ed
Old 12-23-2004, 01:26 AM

Last photo:

Here are the better rips: =)

I hope those help...

Hey.. and if you dont mind checking out the pics of this car and tell me what you think... It's up for sale and I am probably going to buy it...
37 tudor sedan humpback

Take care,
Michael
Old 12-23-2004, 09:17 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Wow! You are an officer and a gentleman. I need to take back half the things I have been saying about you now! LOL. How did you do that?

PS. I love the car! If I ever owned a Phord it would be a '37 slant back. And you are running a great old '63 T-bird FE! Awesome!!!!! I have one BIG suggestion though. I see you are using Heidt's MII X-member with strut rod eliminators. This is bad. This has been discussed in depth on the board here and here and here.

Here is a photo if the way these things fail and a suggested fix.

This website shows the best way to beef up the Heidt's X-member to give it a fighting chance to live w/ strut rod eliminators.

Last edited by willys36@aol.com; 12-23-2004 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:25 PM

Last photo:

Hey Willys,

Not a problem... I just used the highest quality videos from rottentomatos and the official site... from rotten tomatos i could double the video size in the media player.. from the home site I had to settle for a reduced size and expand it in paint.

I dont usually use mspaint.. I prefer corel products.. but they aren't on this computer.. so I made do..

Just pause the video, print screen.. paste it in paint =) Use stretch to get the part you want to rough size, drag the part you want to the top left, then use attributes to shrink the overall size to what you are looking for =)

Or just ask me again in the future..

As for the car.. it's not mine yet... I am looking at buying it for 5500 sans engine/trans/glass/most interior. Will be my first major project. Probably take 10 years to build.

A *Big* thanks for the info reguarding boxing the Heidts cross member!

Take care,
-Michael

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.