Computer problems with my 95 454 truck?? Won't completly start - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2011, 11:03 AM

Last journal entry: Albany Oregon Show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Computer problems with my 95 454 truck?? Won't completly start

I have a problem with my 1995 1 ton dually 454. The computer is a obd 1. I changed the tbi and manifold to a edelbrock performer and a fast 4 barrel tbi. The company I bought the fast tbi changed my chip to work with the missing junk on the stock manifold and support the fast tbi. Almost all the wires that plugged into the various moduals now plug into the fast 4 barrel tbi. The only ones that didn't were for the gas tank evac system and the manifold heat riser module. I have tried to plug them in and just lay them on the manifold, but made no difference. The engine acts like it is going to start as long I have the starter engaged, but will not ever fully start. As soon as I let off the starter button it stalls. Once in a while it will chug a few rounds after I let off the starter but never fully starts. It does have power to the coil when the key is on. One time only it did do a 5 second rev after I dumped a quarter cup of gas in the tbi. I checked the fuel pressure at the tbi and it is at 38 lbs and I adjusted the pressure to 45 and no difference. It does have good blue spark and is in time. The company that sold me the equipment is helping but doesn't seem to be sure what the problem is. Before I return this thing to stock I will take the body to the junk yard and install the engine in a older body and get rid of the computer and all injection. This truck is worthless in its stock form. Any suggestions??

Bob

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2011, 09:02 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

Is the new chip a piggyback of the oem chip? If it is I would pull the new chip and try it with just the oem chip and see what happens. To get this thing to ever run right and get full potential from your setup your going to have to take it to a pro tuner and have a chip burned for it.

I would also post your question at www.thirdgen.org they do a lot with tbi over there.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:12 PM
454, what turns your crank?

Last journal entry: Replacing bearings and crank
Last photo:

Maybe a long shot, but try replacing the spark plugs.. I didnt think it would ever happen but it seems like every time I change the fuel set up on any engine I have done (Ie: changing carbs out) all the spark plugs foul.. Not sure why it happens but like clockwork it never fails for me. Did it on my 305, changed out the quadrajet to an Edlebrock ran fine the first start up but when I tried to start it again it wouldnt, fouled them all up. Did the same thing with my 454, did a carb rebuild. Put the new one on, started fine the first time. Then again on the second start up it wouldnt run. Changed out the spark plugs and it fired right up. Also I had a 92 Jeep Cherokee, did a throttle body swap and again... fouled all the spark plugs. But now that I am typing this and I am thinking about it, is there something I was doing wrong?? That just doesnt seem normal at all....Now I am really starting to think about it...
Old 12-10-2011, 01:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

I am going to bet my money on the distributor not being installed correctly.
( timing too slow.)

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.