Concerned About 10% ethanol in all gas now - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2008, 04:42 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Not just the floats, but also the rubber gasket parts.. but this is over a large extended period of time with 10% alchahol gasoline. E-85 or E-90 will damage far quicker

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2008, 09:17 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

6-10% fuel mileage reduction, by actual in the field testing on several types of cars. Makes some cars idle slower and rougher, even fuelie cars.

makes weed eaters run poorly, mixture must be made richer= 1/2 choke

makes the lawn mower hard to start and noticeable power reduction. Need to use ether to assist starting. Switched back to pure gas and it starts first pull.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:05 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:

I have not been watching the news lately, but what the heck is going on? The other day I tried to get gas for my 56. Every station around here has switched to 10% ethanol.

Citco, Conoco, Texaco.

I have not checked Exxon yet, but....

I assume this will damage my original drive train. What can I do about it?

I know the government has ruined the oil now. I need to re-read the threads on that before the next oil change.

I guess the next step is all E-85 or worse.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:21 PM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

Aha! I now know why my headers with Jet Hot ceramic is starting to flake off. I must have been pretty close on tune, because now it appears that I'm going lean. I wondered why it was a little more fussy on cold startup. My compression dictates that I use 93 all the time so this makes the problem even worse.

Thanks to OPEC, (or whom the hell ever) I now have a half-ruined set of super comps.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:42 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-10
Thanks to OPEC, (or whom the hell ever) I now have a half-ruined set of super comps.
Actually, thank idiot lawmakers and the agri-lobby. "Oxygenated" fuels (with ethanol added) were first mandated in the late 70s in high pollution markets as a way to try to lower emissions. The leaner fuel would make open-loop carbs run leaner, particularly in the winter when chokes would be closed more often. Of course, with the advent of O2 sensors and computer control, modern cars simpy richen the mixture to compensate, negating any air quality benefits but lowering gas mileage. Try explaining that to a politician...

Of course, the agriculture lobby didn't want to loose this market, so they have been pushing congress to increase the ethanol content and make it country-wide. Now, I wouldn't mind the ethanol IF the pricing were consistent - say priced on BTUs per gallon so you paid for the equivalent energy. Naturally, you don't.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:58 AM

In my area we were only getting ethanol in the fuel for the winter. I could see a drop in mileage when it started and an increase when it stopped. The car has not been running as well now that everyone is keeping the 10% ethanol all year round. I did find a station in Idaho that still sells real gas and for $3.76 a gallon. I filled up and my gas mileage immediately went up and the car ran much better.

My Studebaker started with one tap of the starter before the ethanol and now I'm having to really crank it for a long time to get it to fire off. Is there something we can add to the fuel to make it light off better?

Is there something we can do to computer controlled cars to make them run better on ethanol in the gas?
Old 06-26-2008, 11:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertz
In my area we were only getting ethanol in the fuel for the winter. I could see a drop in mileage when it started and an increase when it stopped. The car has not been running as well now that everyone is keeping the 10% ethanol all year round. I did find a station in Idaho that still sells real gas and for $3.76 a gallon. I filled up and my gas mileage immediately went up and the car ran much better.

My Studebaker started with one tap of the starter before the ethanol and now I'm having to really crank it for a long time to get it to fire off. Is there something we can add to the fuel to make it light off better?

Is there something we can do to computer controlled cars to make them run better on ethanol in the gas?
Here's what I tried.
The Poulan weed eater was running poorly on 10%. I got fed up fighting it and got a spray can of Johanssens starting fluid marked 50% ether. I sprayed about 1 ounce into the gas tank, filled it up, shook it well, and GEE, the thing sounded like a model airplane engine. I even had to hold it down to 1/2 throttle because I was afraid it would throw a rod. Wow, it never sounded like that before. My buddy wanted to know what the heck I had done to it.
NO KIDDING>
Old 06-27-2008, 11:14 AM

re: Concerned About 10% ethanol in all gas now

ScoTFrenzel:

FYI Others have tried things to get better performance by adding brake cleaner, paint thinner, benzene, touluene, acetone, and starting fluid to their gas... But when it comes to power tools like weed eaters & chain saws, the user pretty much gets bathed in the exhaust, so adding in those carcinogenic chemicals where you get a fair amount of unburned fuel in the exhaust could be hazardous to your lungs. FWIW
Old 06-27-2008, 11:25 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea Two
ScoTFrenzel:

FYI Others have tried things to get better performance by adding brake cleaner, paint thinner, benzene, touluene, acetone, and starting fluid to their gas... But when it comes to power tools like weed eaters & chain saws, the user pretty much gets bathed in the exhaust, so adding in those carcinogenic chemicals where you get a fair amount of unburned fuel in the exhaust could be hazardous to your lungs. FWIW
I agree.
The day was breezy and I was PO'd at the thing because it wouldn't hardly run and I had a full gallon of E10 mixed up at 40/1, which finally ended up in the car.
It was an interesting exercise in 2 cycle engine racing fuel that I don't intend to repeat.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.