Concerned About 10% ethanol in all gas now - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2008, 11:18 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Concerned About 10% ethanol in all gas now

I'm hearing bad reports of fuel filter/pump damage to older cars (mine 74 pontiac w 455) wondering (from the pro's) should this be a concern? Using high octane now (93 oct without ethanol.) Seems every where I go the gas is now 10% ethanol. News report stated car dealers are testing the gas and finding up to 12% ethanol and are voiding warranties on defective fuel pumps. I have not used it. However, family member has a 32 ford thats having a vapor lock. Car stalls, has to open the fuel line, let out an air pocket, runs for awile and it does it again. filter is new and so is the fuel line. Think this ethanol is causing it???? Had a 32 ford mechanic look it over says he can't figure it out.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2008, 11:39 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Shouldn't be an issue. I read somewhere that most new vehicles can safely tolerate up to 20% Ethanol with little to no effect of the fuel system.

My 72 Blazer runs no different on the new gasoline blend using 10% Ethanol than it did on the old stuff with MTBE.

My 2000 Silverado and 96 Accord also have no issues with the gas either. I noticed no difference at all.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:35 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhomsey
I'm hearing bad reports of fuel filter/pump damage to older cars (mine 74 pontiac w 455) wondering (from the pro's) should this be a concern? Using high octane now (93 oct without ethanol.) Seems every where I go the gas is now 10% ethanol. News report stated car dealers are testing the gas and finding up to 12% ethanol and are voiding warranties on defective fuel pumps. I have not used it. However, family member has a 32 ford thats having a vapor lock. Car stalls, has to open the fuel line, let out an air pocket, runs for awile and it does it again. filter is new and so is the fuel line. Think this ethanol is causing it???? Had a 32 ford mechanic look it over says he can't figure it out.
We've been running 10-15% ethanol most everywhere in the states for nearly 30 years now. There haven't been any real problems attributed to it. Here like there when it first came people got all lathered up and many predicted the sky would fall. I don't think anybody today even knows it's there.

Ethanol has a much higher vapor pressure than gasoline, it's not likely to cause vapor lock at least not if gasoline is present. I'd look for a dirty filter ahead of the fuel pump. The restriction on free flow could/would lower pressure in the fuel ine between the filter and the pump, this would cause the fuel to flash to vapor in the line. The real solution to vapor lock is and electric pump in the tank. Gosh, where have we seen that before?

Ethanol is so hard to light off, even in Brazil they have to put 10-15 percent gasoline in it. Now if we're talking Methanol, that's a whole different story.

But no, you shouldn't even know the stuff is there, it's mostly as an oxygenate to supply enough "extra" oxygen to insure unburnt HCs and CO become H2O and CO2, the two major greenhouse gases along with methane. That's right beer, beans and pizza are as dangerous to the environment as motor vehicles and fireplaces. Go figure!

Oh, oh cucumbers, no more pickles on your burgers for you guys the green cloud's killing us, choke,choke, gag. alright, Who cut the cheese?

Bogie
Old 05-10-2008, 01:45 AM

Last photo:

chill out mate

The ethenol will not do anything at the level you are talking about. A lot of fear about the gas can be cured by a wide open throttle tune up . We used to pour moonshine in our motorcycles back a few years ago and 10% made it smell cleaner that,s all.
Clint
Old 05-10-2008, 10:47 PM

Last photo:

The last time gasohol was all the rage, around the late 1970's, I believe, a friend of mine lived in west Texas where all he could get was gasohol, and it ate the booster venturi area out of his carburetor over a couple of years time. This was back when Texas law required the gas pump to be marked to tell you if the gas had alcohol in it and in what percentage.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:11 AM
Stroke Meister

Last photo:

Quote:
We've been running 10-15% ethanol...

Ethanol is so hard to light off, even in Brazil they have to put 10-15 percent gasoline in it.
E85 = 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline... or thereabout.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:56 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Don't worry about it for a minute. Like someone said, ethanol in 15% concentrations has been around for decades.

I ran it in my bone-stock survivor 1966 Bonneville for years.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:41 PM

Last photo:

Ethanol Concern

We're just shifting into it here in S Fla. I have two concerns from conversation with fellow hot rodders.

I hear it has a long-term degrading effect on rubber. I have two cars with some rubber in the system. I hear you DHOMSEY above.

I also have heard of a corrosive effect on pot metal. I have an orginal engine in a antique car that the carb is close to impossible to replace.

Your help is appreciated. Thank You
Old 06-22-2008, 07:18 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

NY's winter blend is 10%-15% but summer blend is straight gasoline unless stated at the pump. It does not have an effect at all..

If E-85 was being run, those amounts of alchahol will degrade rubber unless you have alchahol resistant rubber hoses and stuff ( you can get it ).. but the 10-20% that is mixed with gas won't hurt a thing
Old 06-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

If it`s a vapour lock issue than it`s not caused by the grade or type of fuel. It means there is a problem elsewhere. If the fuel line is near a heat source, it`ll vapour lock, if there is no vent in the system it`ll vapor lock or cause god awful flooding and fuel pressure problems. Is the fuel filter a metal type? if so and it`s close to a heat source it`ll vapour lock. I learned from past mistakes, the fuel system must be vented and it must be away from any source of high heat.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:34 AM

Last photo:

There's a Clark station here that started selling 3%, 10%, and 0% ethanol gas recently. I feel much better now.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:07 AM

Last photo:

Vapor lock issue 32 ford

Filter in gas tank was blocked. "Re-cleaned" tank, lines, and all filters for a second time. Car was sitting for 20 years
Old 06-23-2008, 09:18 AM

Last photo:

News update on E10 June 08

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-onlin...93335203.shtml

Filling up with E10: What you need to know E10 is gasoline with 90 percent conventional gasoline and 10 percent ethanol. Here is how the blend affects automobiles, boats and lawn equipment:

Automobiles

Almost any auto can use it: E10 can be pumped into "virtually any modern-day automobile," according to the state Department of Agriculture and Consumer Affairs. Ethanol has been used for many years in the Midwest so carmakers have designed vehicles with warranty coverage for gas with up to 10 percent ethanol.

Vintage cars, beware: The exception for E10 would be older antique and vintage cars whose engines aren't designed to withstand the more corrosive effect of ethanol.

You'll take a mileage hit: Gas mileage could be sightly worse because ethanol burns with less energy output than conventional gasoline, just as gasoline has less output than diesel fuel. One study showed an average drop of 2 percent in mileage, though the decrease varied by vehicle from no change in mileage to a 4 percent decline.

Boats It clogs fuel filters: The ethanol in E10 will dissolve residue on fuel tank walls, resulting in clogged fuel filters that shut down engines. The Boat Owners Association of the U.S. recommends boaters be ready with spare filters for replacement and a galvanized bucket to store the old filter while on the boat.

Clogs lessen with time: The organization says the problem with filters tends to go away after two to three tanks of E10 fuel.

Check for tank corrosion: Hoses marked J-1527 are designed for ethanol. If the boat has a fiberglass tank, make sure the manufacturer says ethanol won't corrode the tank. Bertram and Hatteras vessels from the 1960s and 1970s with fiberglass tanks face the problem of ethanol creating a black sludge in the tank, according to the Renewable Fuels Association.

Lawn equipment It should work: Small-engine manufacturers typically allow the use of E10 gasoline, according to the Renewable Fuels Association. But check with the manufacturer.

Keep the fuel fresh: Stihl Inc., a manufacturer of power equipment, recommends keeping fuel fresh by buying no more than two months supply at a time. Ethanol absorbs moisture from the air more quickly than conventional gasoline does, so an E10 mix has a risk of ethanol separating from the gas mix.

Check the carburetor: A slight adjustment might be needed for E10 gasoline.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:09 AM

I concur on the boat issue. DO NOT LEAVE ETHANOL ENHANCED FUEL IN YOUR BOAT OVER THE WINTER! No matter what additive you use.....
Old 06-23-2008, 04:16 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhomsey
Vintage cars, beware: The exception for E10 would be older antique and vintage cars whose engines aren't designed to withstand the more corrosive effect of ethanol.
And what the general public calls "vintage cars" are daily drivers to most of us...

The biggest problem I've found is that the ethanol will attack older plastic carb floats. This causes the float to become less buoyant and leads to rich running and eventually flooding. Either replace your plastic float with a brass one or use a newer plastic float. Most plastic floats available today are compatible, but I usually put a new one in at every carb rebuild, just for insurance.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.