Hot Rod Forum banner

Condensation in valve cover breathers !!

10K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  87442lover 
#1 ·
Am I being paranoid or what ?

Having suffered leaking head studs on my SBC from using a poor sealant, I took them all out and resealed using Loctite 572 as recommended by engine builders over here in the UK. Whilst the problem is not anywhere as great, after a 50 mile trip there was no sign of condensation on the underside of the breathers. The next journey was a 3 mile trip and I checked the breathers before I left - no water drops. Check them when I come back and there is water and a very slight emulsification of the oil on them and on the top of the dipstick there.

Could it be that given it is pouring with rain right now and is very damp, water vapour passing through the air filter is condensing in the breather pipes and dripping down. I've pulled the valve covers and no sign of water. Head and inlet gaskets are brand new Mr Gasket Ultraseal's and everything is torqued down right.

Should I be losing sleep over this and doing something about it ???

Mark

#2 ·
Like you say, its damp over there........I wouldn't worry about it. If your sealant was leaking into the oil, you would know it, bigtime. With the pressures involved, it makes quite a mess.

The condensation rises to the top. If its in your oil, it will turn the oil all milky and would be throughout the engine.

#3 ·
Once the engine has reached operating temperature, and run for awhile any condensation should be gone. If there is still milky slimy guck in the valve covers then you have a water seepage someplace.

Pressurize the radiator, if it looses pressure, then check the spark plugs for water in the cylinders. If they are dry then you have a gasket leak someplace. Good Luck

Troy

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod

#4 ·
markn said:
The next journey was a 3 mile trip and I checked the breathers before I left - no water drops. Check them when I come back and there is water Mark

thats why. the motor didn't run long enough to cook all the moisture out of it.
hence all the little old lady or little old men cars that have a rusted out exhaust,... a trip to the market once a week isn't enough to properly heat the exhaust system up to burn out all of the condensation.....

and if i'm not mistaken, i believe that not heating up completely increases engine sludge.....

#5 ·
Right on!:thumbup:

Troy

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.