Conflicting Casting #'s GM Inline - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2012, 05:31 PM
axes wayy too many questions

Last journal entry: Car show Btt50's 2012
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Conflicting Casting #'s GM Inline

So the other day I picked up what I thought was a 250ci Inline from a 1968 Nova. I get home today to check casting #'s on the block, head, carb, etc to be sure I picked up the right mill. Well, the casting #'s on the side of the block reads 3921967. According to the inliners site , that is the casting for a 1964-69 230ci inline. Now, I dug a little deeper because I wasn't satisfied with that one result and was bound and determined that I had the 250. After further reading, I learned that starting in '68, Chevy started stamping VIN information on the block near the distributor that included the intended application for the motor. Well, underneath a good layer of grease and dirt, I uncovered F0610CM. According to Nova Resource, the intended use of this block is a 250ci that was paired with a 3 speed.

My question is which stamp do I trust without tearing the block apart? I have a feeling this is the 230 block with the 250 rods and pistons, since both the 230/250 have identical bore. Was GM cutting corners and just assembling these blocks differently while using the same casting #'s for both the 230/250?

Anyone who can shed some light on this would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 06:13 PM
elkyholic

Last journal entry: Center Link Installed
Last photo:

I don't have any documentation on the 6 cyl engines. And for the v-8s even the experts agree that cheverolet's documentation was at times very poor.

There are several v-8 blocks that were used to build multiple displacement engines, both documented and not. It would not be a stretch to expect that they did the same for 6 cyl engines. And since the 230 and 250 share the same bore size, I could see them using that block to build a 250. It could be a regular production occurance, a shortage of 250 blocks and they used your block to meet production, or even a mistake during assembly, where someone used the wrong block. Of course you won't know if it's a 250 until you check the stroke,
Old 04-02-2012, 07:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by starnest
I don't have any documentation on the 6 cyl engines. And for the v-8s even the experts agree that cheverolet's documentation was at times very poor.

There are several v-8 blocks that were used to build multiple displacement engines, both documented and not. It would not be a stretch to expect that they did the same for 6 cyl engines. And since the 230 and 250 share the same bore size, I could see them using that block to build a 250. It could be a regular production occurance, a shortage of 250 blocks and they used your block to meet production, or even a mistake during assembly, where someone used the wrong block. Of course you won't know if it's a 250 until you check the stroke,
That's what I was afraid of. I plan on just dropping this engine in without taking anything apart. I have a friend interested in the 230 for a rat rod project, so the "250" is it's replacement.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:33 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_rod_kid
That's what I was afraid of. I plan on just dropping this engine in without taking anything apart. I have a friend interested in the 230 for a rat rod project, so the "250" is it's replacement.
I know you had your sights set on a 250, but the little 230 is a decent little mill, too (kinda like a 327 vs. a 350 SBC). I liked the one I had in a '65 PU, not a powerhouse, but reliable as a stone axe.

I say if it's sound, run it! Hopefully it won't have to pull a lot of weight w/highway gears is all...
Old 04-04-2012, 04:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
I know you had your sights set on a 250, but the little 230 is a decent little mill, too (kinda like a 327 vs. a 350 SBC). I liked the one I had in a '65 PU, not a powerhouse, but reliable as a stone axe.

I say if it's sound, run it! Hopefully it won't have to pull a lot of weight w/highway gears is all...
I know, I love my current 230. Aside from the knock, it pushes the boat Belair down the road at a decent clip. With the TH350 behind it, it's a fun cruiser

My plans for the "250" are for the future, mostly. I am swapping it in as is after a scrub down, and plan on running it for a few years until I am on a more dependable income (still in college, few bills yet to pay off) when I can drop some money into it. I hope to give it a mild cam, lump port the heads, run dual 2-barrel carbs with headers. Nothing too drastic.

The 230 on the other hand would be sent to a cool rat rod project my buddy has planned, where it would see a 194 head, street cam, offy 4bl intake, custom made headers, and a blow-by turbo setup. He wants at least 350hp out of it. From what I've read, it's possible. I would be the engine builder on that project.

So does anyone know for sure, or should I just speculate that it is in fact a 250?
Old 04-13-2012, 11:22 AM

Last photo:

The 230 and 250 blocks were the same (pre-integrated head / intake) from everything I've seen.

Only way to truly know is to yank the head and check the pistons. Supposedly stock 230 pistons were flat tops with valve reliefs, 250 pistons were different.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:13 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_rod_kid
So does anyone know for sure, or should I just speculate that it is in fact a 250?
I cannot say for sure. There are a few links HERE (towards the bottom of the page under 'Resources') with info on ID'ing/casting numbers that might help.

You can also estimate the stroke of an assembled engine by simply inserting a piece of wire down the spark plug hole, rotate the engine by hand (taking all the spark plugs out helps here) to the bottom of the stroke, mark the wire, rotate to the top of the stroke, mark the wire again. The distance between the two marks is the approximate stroke. It won't be exact, but the difference between a ~3-1/4" and a ~3-1/2" stroke can be seen.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:20 PM

Last photo:

You might be able to find out what the crank journals should measure on a 250 vs 230 and drop the pan and check it.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:50 PM
WFO

Last photo:

IIRC the 292 has a different rod journal diameter but the 230 and 250 have the same size journals on the rod and main. I'd be checking the casting numbers and date codes of the block and head to see if that decided it one way or the other. If the casting dates of the head and block are very close to one another and the head c/n says 230, I'd say it was a 230.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.