Hot Rod Forum banner

? confused!

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  painted jester 
#1 ·
i have a 72 olds 98 with a 455 olds rocket. going to replace the intake and carb with edlebrock parts. what would be the best cfm edlebrock carb to use on this stock engine? i was told to use a 600cfm on the stock engine but also told to use a 750cfm. confused now. also trying to find headers for this engine but cant find any for this car. was told by sanderson headers that i could use 350 rocket headers in the 72 98 and they would work for the 455. is this true? :pain:

#2 ·
I think the 400,425,455 are the same not many choices out there for the 98 Hooker also has a block hugger that may fit your application. we've done a few 350 Olds motors with long tube Hookers but they are a bear to install a fit around the starter. The Edlebrock performer intake is a good choice for street cars, we use the 600 on mild performance upgrades but is not cfm for highly modified big blocks. I have a buddy with a 69 caddy 472 that runs a 600 Edlebrock with no issues.

#3 ·
i am going to use an edelbrock torker 2 intake and edelbrock reccomends the 750 cfm performer series carb. the problem with the headers is no one makes a header for the 455 that will fit in my olds 98. sandersons makes custom headers for rat rods and they said the only header that will fit that motor in this particulair car is for a 350 rocket that they make. apparently there are some frame issues in the 98 that do not allow for the bigger headers to fit. wondering if the smaller headers will restrict my 455 and if the 750 cfm will be to much carb for my 455.

#4 ·
nothing wrong with a Torker or Torker II they are single plane intakes designed for higher rpm applications if your planning on kicking up the cam and internals to complement the induction its a good choice. street driving usually lends itself to lower rpm driving (traffic, stop & go and so on) that's were the Performer (pn 2151) lives its dual plane design still gives high rpm performance but still has low rpm drivability. the 750 cfm carb is not too big for the 455 it just may be a little fat until you tune it to the engine, the 600 will need to be tuned as well, everything is based on what you want to do with the car. Hooker pn 3401-1 Olds 455 chassis fitment is the hard part on any header you find.

#5 ·
First, most header manufacturers show their 64-77 442 headers as also fitting the 71-76 full size cars. The 455 has the same exhaust flange as the 350, so their headers will bolt up, but the deck height is different, so there's no guarantee that anything fits. Frankly, I doubt that shorty headers are any better than the factory W/Z exhaust manifolds used on the 442s. These DO fit in the 71-76 full size cars.

I question if you really want a Torker in a heavy Ninety Eight. That car is probably every bit of 4500 lbs or more. Unless you plan to make many other mods to match, including cam and rear gears, it's a waste and may even kill low end torque. The dual plane Performer is probably a better bet. Personally I'd use a Qjet, but if you're one of these people who can't seem to wrap their head around a Qjet, the 455 needs at least a 750 CFM carb.

#7 ·
Did you call Doug Thorly if your calling summit jegs etc. they will tell you what they list in the catalogs! But many header company's may have them on a shelf gathering dust and aren't listing them!
Doug Thorly
Long Tube Headers
1965-72 Oldsmobile 442 400-455 V8
Excluding Convertibles

#8 ·
Did you call Doug Thorly if your calling summit jegs etc. they will tell you what they list in the catalogs! But many header company's may have them on a shelf gathering dust and aren't listing them!
Doug Thorly
Long Tube Headers
1965-72 Oldsmobile 442 400-455 V8
Excluding Convertibles
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ The usual "excluding convertibles" or "won't fit Cutlass Supreme" footnotes in every header manufacturer's catalog are flat wrong. This is a constant source of confusion for the Oldsmobile community.

Back to the OP's question: Many header manufacturers show that their headers fit the 1971-76 Delta 88. While not listed, that means that the same headers also fit the Ninety Eight. There's no difference between the D88 and the 98 forward of the firewall. The only mechanical difference is that the 98 has a longer wheelbase. The extra length is in the back seat area and has no effect on header fitment.

Use Summit's search function, and select Delta 88 and 455 engine. I get 19 different headers that fit your car, just from the Summit online catalog.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.