Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Confused about carbs, need help!
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 11:31 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEVILLAC View Post
Which would be better for short term (a few weeks max), the freshly rebuilt Eddie or the Q-Jet in need of a rebuild? $40 for a canister, $55 for a pump that provides 16hg and is smaller....? My other motor is getting tired so I'm trying to get this carb thing figured out asap so I can swap motors and be back up and running in a weekend because for at least a couple more months it is my daily driver. I already get 11mpg so how much worse can it get? Ultimately I'm thinking Holley 670vs or 750vs but for some reason everyone in the Portland area thinks those are worth $150-$200 all beat up. Seattle area has fresh rebuilt ones for that price but I'm leary of buying carbs sight unseen.
Vacuum canisters are a poor second choice- use a pump or convert to manual brakes.

Use the fresh Eddy and a dual plane.

If you're lucky the CR isn't so high you can't use straight pump gas.

Ideally you'd pull the engine apart for inspection/freshening, and while there see what the cam was and swap it out if it's too big. You can even do that (check the cam) w/o taking the engine apart if the guy can't tell you upfront what the cam is.

Set the distributor up correctly. You'll need more initial timing. Start around 18 degrees BTDC and work up or down from there. Limit the mechanical as needed. More here.

Last edited by cobalt327; 01-16-2013 at 11:44 PM.