Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Confused about carbs, need help!
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 10:17 PM
HEATHENS AUTO CLUB

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
That's good that the distributor is dialed in already. Just give it a check w/a dial back timing light (or whip up a temporary timing tape) to double check it. If the damper is a stock part, it's a good idea to double check TDC to be sure the outer ring hasn't moved. You can mark it w/a line to keep an eye on it.

One thing more- you can use a vacuum advance, and I recommend you do so. The caveat on this is twofold:

Use ported vacuum
Use a Crane p/n 99619-1 limiter plate to keep the added advance to about 10-12 degrees (or make one)
Ok, I know ported vacuum for the vacuum advance is hooked to the carb so I'm guessing it is operated in a similar way as the vacuum secondaries, otherwise a motor that has very little manifold vacuum wouldn't be able to operate the advance. If the motor runs well as it is, what would be the advantage of adding the vacuum advance back into the equation? Will it be better for for driving conditions between idle and WOT?