Confused after carb adjustment? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2010, 12:37 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Confused after carb adjustment?

Hey guys, I have a 67 El Camino, with a Holley 4150 (670 cfm) carb, th350, headers and 270 Comp Magnum cam. I recently purchased a vacuum gauge and decided to fine tune the air/fuel on the carb. I want to say before I adjusted the carb, the car was running good and it had a really nice lope to it. The reading was 13'' when I started. I got the best results when I turned the carb screws out to richen it and wound up with 15''. I can tell you the car runs fantastic, but now there is hardly a lope in the idle. My questions are, why did the lope diminish and will it hurt anything to lean out the carb to the original settings to bring the lope back?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2010, 12:44 PM

Last photo:

Lope was likely the rpm being lower due to the idle mixture being incorrect. You can adjust for highest vac OR listen for highest rpm. You could now lower your idle speed to get the lope back assuming the rpm did increase slightly. What's the in-gear rpm?
Old 09-09-2010, 12:47 PM

Last photo:

It's about 650-700 rpm.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:07 PM

Last photo:

You could try going back to the old settings to compare the rpm and see if there is an actual change (dont forget to change both in gear). My guess is that it was lower rpm. A good tune doesnt always have a thumpy sound though With a difference of only 2hg I cant see much harm in going back lean but according to the holley tuning its not your ideal setting. The current setting should give you overall better performance.

Do you recall how much you turned the mixture screws OUT?
Old 09-09-2010, 11:05 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbahotep
You could try going back to the old settings to compare the rpm and see if there is an actual change (dont forget to change both in gear). My guess is that it was lower rpm. A good tune doesnt always have a thumpy sound though With a difference of only 2hg I cant see much harm in going back lean but according to the holley tuning its not your ideal setting. The current setting should give you overall better performance.

Do you recall how much you turned the mixture screws OUT?
Yes, It wasn't much, only about 1-1 1/2 turns on both sides...
Old 09-09-2010, 11:29 PM
More for Less Racer

It had more lope because it was inefficiently tuned before and was struggling more at idle. I'll trade more power and better response for "lope" any day, even on a full race engine. Lope is actually an undesirable symptom of inefficiency, even though we like the sound.

Listen to a Pro Stock drag engine idle some day, they are not nearly as radical as you would think for the power they make, because they have a very correct tune on the carb, timing, valvelash, etc.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:37 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
It had more lope because it was inefficiently tuned before and was struggling more at idle. I'll trade more power and better response for "lope" any day, even on a full race engine. Lope is actually an undesirable symptom of inefficiency, even though we like the sound.
X2 Well said.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:26 AM

Last photo:

1 to 1.5 turns is out of tune. Usually 1/2 turn beyond highest vac is ok, some carbs go 1 turn richer after highest vac but you weren't even at your highest vacuum yet.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:42 PM

Last photo:

OK guys, Thanks for all the input. I will keep the carb where I have it now at 15'', I really can't complain, the car is running really good.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:00 PM

Last photo:

My 383 used to sound so mean too.....before I tuned it correctly
Old 09-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,008 Times in 847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
Lope is actually an undesirable symptom of inefficiency, even though we like the sound.
Thanks for that Eric. Exactly what I've been telling newbies for years. The kids in my son's auto shop class in high school used to call me Mr. No-Cam because I tried to make sense to them to match the static compression ratio to the intake closing point and of course they wanted to use a Top Fuel grind in their stock dish-piston 350.

If you fellows want to see something interesting, find someone with a radical rump-rump street car. At night, remove the air cleaner and shine a powerful light at the top of the carb. You'll see a cloud of air/fuel mixture hovering above the carb that is being pushed back up the intake tract by the ascending piston while the intake valve is still open. This monkey-motion confuses the venturi so much that it has no idea whether to shmidt or go blind, so it cannot meter the fuel correctly and you get the rump rump until the revs increase and the efficiency comes up to where the motor smooths out. Cool stuff.

Last edited by techinspector1; 09-10-2010 at 03:08 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.