Confused over setting up my MSD distributor - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2011, 04:43 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

[QUOTE=Irelands child]Cliff - thanks for the response. I have often and sucessfully run Dura Spark distributors in the past and with either the failure prone OEM module or the MSD box. I chose to go the all MSD way this time along with the small diameter version. As far as the pick up failures - these are the same pieces as the Dura Spark so quality parts from any NAPA will work. The cap and rotors are some vintage GM, I believe, which I haven't determined yet. I have MSD spares of all maintenance parts anyhow.

The MSD vacuum advance is limited to 10* so everything is centrifugal during acceleration, with that advance maintaining and following the vacuum signal during cruise mode. Both Frisco and Cobalt have suggested that I try full manifold vacuum, and since they are a couple of the more knowledgeable 'tuning' folks here, I'll give it a whirl - but final analysis will be which I feel is better for my use. As I said above, it isn't a race car, but I will give it a boot in the butt if tempted.

Sun distributor machines are collecting dust in hidden old timey garages. The last time I had personal access for one, I was wearing a soldier's uniform - 1965. This brings up the point of Ford distributors. They are fairly easy to set up on a Sun machine but first of all, there are a limited number of known spring rates plus there are no interchangeable advance stops. To modify the OEM dist. spring rates, you have to bend a couple of posts. If you need to expand or limit total advance, you have to either enlarge (easy) of decrease (no so easy) a limiting slot in the advance plate - more reasons to go with an after market distributor. Then - there is the drive gear. The OEM cast iron gear will not work with my steel roller camshaft - it needs to be either a steel (Ford for sure) or a bronze gear for other makes.

Kinda snug in there for a full size cap and adapter:

Thanks again, the later gear of5ltr dist is steal and will fit older dist.the pickup coil is different,just changed buds msd not easey.nice looking engine.good luck cliff

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2011, 04:46 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

OKaaay - took her for a ride - must be 50 horsepower at the lower rpm that magically appeared.

Have the light silver and blue springs in there as well as the silver stop. Initial at 12-13 now, OMG - what a low end difference.

I really did a dummy though - I 'lost' my timing mark, something I haven't done in years . 180* out. I looked at that @#$% round GM looking rotor then when I put it back - dammit, these old eyes saw something different. Gotta say - when it backfires, rattles the neighborhood . I was going to play with the carb, but it seems to be 'right'. Starts well and no stumble or dead spots.

Thanks to those that lent their advice and restoked my banked memory pit. I hope that others will see what can be done with that package of springs and stops that comes with an MSD distributor. If it's missing from yours, the part number is MSD 8464 and it's ~$13 from Summit

Dave W
Old 06-19-2011, 10:19 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
OKaaay - took her for a ride - must be 50 horsepower at the lower rpm that magically appeared.

Have the light silver and blue springs in there as well as the silver stop. Initial at 12-13 now, OMG - what a low end difference.

Dave W
That sounds great!!!

Just curious what you have ended up with as to the vacuum source?
Old 06-19-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco
That sounds great!!!

Just curious what you have ended up with as to the vacuum source?
I'm still hooked at the ported source but will try manifold vacuum, probably this coming week, pending the weather. I ran out of 'experiment' time yesterday with my installation dumb trick and went to a car show today. I'll post what I find soon.

Dave W
Old 06-23-2011, 01:06 PM

Well it's still raining so no change in the vacuum source.

I have some concern over my harmonic balancer now and always have. Being originally a crate motor, it had the wrong timing arrangement (EFI/mag pick up, no timing pointer) so I replaced the damper. It's keyed to only go on one way and with the #1 piston at the top of its stroke and found by dial indicator, determined what set of marks were correct for my engine. Timing it the other day (see the posts above) started the engine at 25-30* BTDC based on the timing tape and the marks. It ran very smoothly - until I moved it to the 12-13* I've left it at and it is quite rough. This makes me suspect the balancer (and maybe the tape) regardless of how I originally did my installation. Supposedly this is a new, not a rebuilt 50 in.oz. damper for my late model 5.0 and from a decent vendor. Makes me wonder if the elastomer may have failed or assembled wrong. I don't have a problem buying a new damper as this one is not SFI approved, not that I'll turn huge rpm's for any length of time (couldn't find a damper reasonably priced when I built the engine up for non EFI use).

Comments appreciated.

Dave W
Old 06-23-2011, 01:16 PM
PATH=$PATH\:/usr/local/bin ; e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Dave W
Wow, really 50 hp correcting the advance ... man that car was not running very well.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unix
Wow, really 50 hp correcting the advance ... man that car was not running very well.
Said tongue-in-cheek
Old 06-23-2011, 01:31 PM
PATH=$PATH\:/usr/local/bin ; e

Oh ok cause that sounded like a real neck snapper and could visualize a huge smile.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:09 PM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

See my IM Dave.

When he gets the timing, carb combo sorted out, he should have much more than a huge smile.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.