Connecting 2 compressors - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2007, 09:11 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Connecting 2 compressors

I have a 5 hp 20 gallon compressor and a 5 hp 60 gallon compressor with a blown motor. I don't want to change the motor over right now but thought I could connect the 2 tanks together. Can it be dne and if so how?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2007, 09:20 PM

Connecting 2 compressors

I think I should add some additional information. I want to connect the 60 gal. tank but the motor will not run. I will be sand be blasting some items and that is it. My thoughts were to run the tube from the small compressor to the large tank first and then to the input of the smaller tank. I hope that makes since.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:00 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

What is the duty cycle like on the two motors/compressors? The 20 gallon setup might not be rated high enough to essentially run an 80 gallon compressor. The motor and/or pump could be short lived.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:43 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: The Monster Lives
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I have a couple of small 20 gallon compressors, one with a dead motor, and a ten gallon tank... I just hooked them all together so i will have reserve air for sanding with a jitterbug.. It has worked for years.. I don't have 220 in the shop so i use little 110 1.5 horse units.. You don't have to worry about hooking one to another in any particular order, they all equalize.

I am doing woodworking, and do a lot of sanding with an air 5" jitterbug, but don't have enough power to run a DA for long. But Porter Cable makes a great 6" sander for the heavy stuff.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:36 AM
Experienced Amateur

Last wiki edit: Automobile body and frame rotisserie
Wiki Edits: 2

Ya, all ya need is a "T" to tie them together...the arrangement isnt really that important. Like wishnevsky said, the pressure will all equal out
Old 05-25-2007, 04:49 AM

2 Compressors

Thanks folks for this information it is a great help. I still have a couple of questions. When I tie the two together what do you recommend that I use? I thought an air hose would be ok since I have alot of it. Exactly where would you put the "T"?
Old 05-25-2007, 09:26 AM

You could use air hose but I wouldn't recommend it! Use hard pipe or some kind of copper plumbing flex line rated at around 200 lbs.

Now for the negative. It's true you will have more reserve air BUT when you do get down to where the limit switch kicks in the motor it will take twice as long if not more to get the air pressure back up to where your compressor shuts off!

If you are working with your current compressor now and it can't keep up with your current use, in other words you are working on a project and the compressor kicks on and you continue working and your compressor never kicks off until you stop working for a while, then adding an additional tank will only give you extra air until the need for air kicks the compressor on, then it will run longer to fill up the additional tank!

Really depends on your use. If you only use it until the compressor kicks on then work on something else until it shuts off you'll be OK, but if you are using it continuously and the compressor can't keep up it isn't worth it!
Old 05-25-2007, 09:45 AM

Last photo:

I did this with rubber air hose three years ago and haven't had a problem. However, the two compressors are identical.

Chris
Old 05-25-2007, 09:53 AM

I guess if the rubber air hoses weren't exposed to UV rays then it would be OK. I have my compressor outside and if I did something like that the elements would probably rot it away after time!
Old 05-25-2007, 01:45 PM

Last photo:

This has been covered many times and it is not a good idea to do this as it will far exceed the duty cycle of the small compressor and you will not gain a thing. A BIG TANK DOES NOT MAKE A BIG COMPRESSOR! Sure you will gain a small amount of run time but only UNTIL the compressor reaches the FIRST start cycle and then you will be in for a much longer wait for the tank to recharge so you gain nothing. In the case of the two compressors in question here that tiny pump trying to charge those two tanks, 80 gals, is going to exceed the duty cycle by so much that the motor and/or pump probably will not last long at all and this does not even address the ridiculously long wait for it to recharge. No matter what size tank you have you will have the same amount of run time over any given time period and with the larger tank you will have fewer run/recharge cycles but the recharge will be much longer so you wind up with exactly the same amount of run time. Actually you will in all probability get even less run time using the large tank with that tiny motor/pump because the efficiency will fall off quite a bit as it overheats which it most assuredly will. This is a very common misconception about tank size, and it is just that a misconception, because a tank can not possibly put out more air than the pump puts in. The size of the tank controls the off/on cycle rate of the compressor and has nothing to do with how much air the compressor will produce, in spite of common belief, so you would be far better off to find a new motor for the bigger compressor and forget about hooking together tanks, it is a waste of time and will only serve to ruin the small compressor.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:04 PM

Oldred is right. You kinda have to think of is like this. "Will my compressor PUMP keep up with my air tool?" If that answer is no, then it doesn't matter how big a tank or tanks you have because it all comes down to the pump running the tool. If the pump can't run the tool you will have to wait as some point and it takes a lot longer to compress 80 gals of air than it does 10 gals of air.

Small pump w/Big Tanks = Sand 30secs then wait 4.5 minutes = 5 minutes

Small pump w/Small Tank = Sand 15secs wait 45secs, sand 15secs wait 45secs, sand 15secs wait 45secs, sand 15secs wait 45secs, sand 15secs wait 45secs = 5 minutes

This is not a scientific calculation but hopefully you get the idea. The time all comes out the same. Only way to get more sanding and less waiting is to get a BIG PUMP and not necessarily a BIG TANK.

Oh and by the way, have a great holiday weekend. Thank you to all of the veterans that have served and to all of the people in the armed forces.

Tony

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.