connecting double d steering column to Ranger sterring shaft? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2011, 11:30 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

connecting double d steering column to Ranger sterring shaft?

I planned on using the Ranger column in my Rat rod which now sits on the Ranger front suspension, but after some measuring, it's just too long and it's the wrong 'style' and I'm not willing to make it work to save a buck.. A Speedway Hotrod column is only $89 and that's what I'll get.. Problem is, I know the shaft is not 3/4" double D. it looks simmilar except it has a bolt thru it for the factory rag joint.. How do I connect the Speedway column to the Ranger steering box? I may swap the steering box for the manual version by the time it's ready for the road, but that shouldn't make a diffrence.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 07:33 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I don't understand the questio, are you asking for help or telling us what you are doing....or are all ready doing, and with out looking and knowing the above hook it up with a borgson u-joint.hth
Old 06-13-2011, 11:18 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

dial caliper time

I've bought the speedway adaptors and they worked fine. sometimes tig welding them, sometimes using the set screws, First tighten the set screw to make a mark then drilling an indent for the set screw to seat, then locktite and double lock nuts on the set screw. Chevy astro vans use a compact DD shaft. and ujoints. I used a couple hooking up the steering on the willys.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsa_bob
I don't understand the questio, are you asking for help or telling us what you are doing....or are all ready doing, and with out looking and knowing the above hook it up with a borgson u-joint.hth
I don't know what joint/ coupler to get to connect it to the Ranger box. The original column fit in the rag joint and a bolt ran thru it. Looks like a double D shaft but I don't think it is... If I remove the rag joint and use U joints, which I would like to do, do I use 1 of These ?

I think the Ranger box is splined, but it seems the only common spline is 3/4" 36 spline for anything Ford and that is listed for the MII so it may be a custom aftermarket varient as it lists GM also, 5/8" 36 spline is listed for OEM boxes only..I know the Ranger box was also used in Vans and trucks along with a reversed version in Panther cars. But putting in the Speedway column is not a common modification.. Happen to know the spline count for the Ford boxes?
Old 06-13-2011, 01:02 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Borgeson is your ally in doing what you are doing...

Sam
Old 06-13-2011, 01:17 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Make a plate that will bolt to the rag joint,,, Then weld a double d collar to it, Are a double d shaft to the center of the plate.. Make the collar are shaft about 1.5'' long.. Then you can install a u-joint..
Old 06-14-2011, 12:46 AM

Last photo:

Will that still work with the factory extendable shaft? The rag is on the end of a shaft that extends or retracts about 6" and I really don't know what the purpose is
Old 06-14-2011, 06:25 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

steering system

The rag joint is there to act like a metal universal joint and to dampen out vibration. The extendable shaft is there to let the column collaps in a crash to meet covernment specifications in new cars . Both of those things are ignored a lot in hot rods. there are more compact vibration dampers and some companies are now building after market collapsible colums for street rods. Most hot rods do not meet the govt regs for new cars and that is one of the reasons a lot of politicians oppose any modifications to cars even though a lot of things done improve the older modified cars,, disc brakes better suspensions , better handling and enough power to get out of some problems. and they want to scrap older cars.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.