Hot Rod Forum banner

connecting double d steering column to Ranger sterring shaft?

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  timothale 
#1 ·
I planned on using the Ranger column in my Rat rod which now sits on the Ranger front suspension, but after some measuring, it's just too long and it's the wrong 'style' and I'm not willing to make it work to save a buck.. A Speedway Hotrod column is only $89 and that's what I'll get.. Problem is, I know the shaft is not 3/4" double D. it looks simmilar except it has a bolt thru it for the factory rag joint.. How do I connect the Speedway column to the Ranger steering box? I may swap the steering box for the manual version by the time it's ready for the road, but that shouldn't make a diffrence.

#3 ·
dial caliper time

I've bought the speedway adaptors and they worked fine. sometimes tig welding them, sometimes using the set screws, First tighten the set screw to make a mark then drilling an indent for the set screw to seat, then locktite and double lock nuts on the set screw. Chevy astro vans use a compact DD shaft. and ujoints. I used a couple hooking up the steering on the willys.

#4 ·
bsa_bob said:
I don't understand the questio, are you asking for help or telling us what you are doing....or are all ready doing, and with out looking and knowing the above :confused: hook it up with a borgson u-joint.hth
I don't know what joint/ coupler to get to connect it to the Ranger box. The original column fit in the rag joint and a bolt ran thru it. Looks like a double D shaft but I don't think it is... If I remove the rag joint and use U joints, which I would like to do, do I use 1 of These ?

I think the Ranger box is splined, but it seems the only common spline is 3/4" 36 spline for anything Ford and that is listed for the MII so it may be a custom aftermarket varient as it lists GM also, 5/8" 36 spline is listed for OEM boxes only..I know the Ranger box was also used in Vans and trucks along with a reversed version in Panther cars. But putting in the Speedway column is not a common modification.. Happen to know the spline count for the Ford boxes?

#8 ·
steering system

The rag joint is there to act like a metal universal joint and to dampen out vibration. The extendable shaft is there to let the column collaps in a crash to meet covernment specifications in new cars . Both of those things are ignored a lot in hot rods. there are more compact vibration dampers and some companies are now building after market collapsible colums for street rods. Most hot rods do not meet the govt regs for new cars and that is one of the reasons a lot of politicians oppose any modifications to cars even though a lot of things done improve the older modified cars,, disc brakes better suspensions , better handling and enough power to get out of some problems. and they want to scrap older cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.