Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Connecting Rod Cap Hitting Cam
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2010, 08:58 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Connecting Rod Cap Hitting Cam

I'm building a 406 SBC with 5.7" 350 rods and Comp Cams XE262H-10 hydraulic flat-tappet cam. The rods were purchase as part of a Strong Arm 406 kit from Speed-O-Motive, with the edges of the rod bolt caps ground for additional clearance. I have ample clearance with the blocks's oil pan rail, but am not clearing the cam. Ive read in several magazines and tech forums of others successfully building the 406 SBC, so what am I missing? Is there someone out there whos actually built this engine for use on the streets and overcome this obstacle? I've read that using a small base circle cam will solve this interference problem, but what exactly is a small base circle? Are they readily available, or are they custom ground? What are the cam's dimensions/specifications ? Is a small base circle cam available as a hydraulic flat tappet or only as a roller? Is it the proven solution? Any examples of small base circle cams with specs similar to the XE262H? Sorry for so many questions but I'm lost and losing faith. Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!