connecting rod question. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2008, 08:38 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

connecting rod question.

hi guys, i just bought a eagle 383 rotating assembly for my 97 silverado.im looking to build this engine myself since i cut out all the guess work by buying everything as a kit.my question is: is there a certain position that the connecting rod is supposed to face in cunjunction to the front of the block?i know that by looking at the rods i can see that 1 side is chamfered more that the other at the big end of the rod. the rod themselves dont have any other indication that tells me which side goes towards the front of the block other than 2 letters that are stamped ES. does this even matter which way the rods are facing in the motor? the pistons have just 2 valve reliefs right next to each other not 2 on top and 2 on the bottom which tells me that the reliefs must be towards the top of the block.so i know which way the pistons go i just want to make sure the connecting rods are installed facing the right position as well if it applies. any info would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2008, 08:51 PM

Last photo:

The non-chamfered sides of each pair of connecting rods should face each other. The chamfered side goes next to the crankshaft web. This assures that any radius between the rod journal and the web doesn't touch the rod.

You're right about the valve reliefs being at the top. If the valve reliefs are different sizes, the big one needs to be at the intake valve.

If the pistons are offset, there should be a mark that goes toward the front of the engine.

Last edited by jimfulco; 12-15-2008 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:13 PM

thanks jim. let me ask u another question, i keep hearing about the eagle rods having issues. do u think this kit is fine for my truck? i mostly use it to tow my trailer and car,and maybe some visits to the local homedepot. im not at all going to crazy with the engine,just want something a bit more stout than the tired 350 thats in it.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:49 PM

Last photo:

Main problem with the Eagle rods is the big end/journal end being egg shaped or out of round when the caps are torqued down. May want to have a shop check them before you install to be sure.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:51 AM

the rods are brand new and never been installed,there are balanced from the company and i also have the spec card that came with it.do u still recommend them be checked before install? or does this apply to reusing them in the future ? u guys are a great help,i appreciate it very much.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:18 AM

Last photo:

Have both the rods and crankshaft very carefully checked, there are known numerous issues with both.

You will probably end up having to have the rods resized and the crankshaft turned to make within specs and useable.

Not a bad idea to upgrade the rod bolts, while the work is being done.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:44 AM

will do,the rods already have the arp cap stye bolts in the rods.i will look into having the rods and the crank checked.just to be safe. i would of never though of having them checked even if they were new,shows how great this site is. thanks guys enjoy the holidays
Old 12-16-2008, 12:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSedan64
Main problem with the Eagle rods is the big end/journal end being egg shaped or out of round when the caps are torqued down. May want to have a shop check them before you install to be sure.
My machinist up here in Canada has seen the same problems with the sir rods. They don't like to stay round. Just because a rotating assembly says balanced doesn't mean they shouldn't be checked. Its cheaper to make sure now then fix it later.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:26 PM

assuming the rods are not round and i put this engine together,would the oil pressure be affected in any way or are there more catastrophic consequenses here?
Old 12-16-2008, 02:37 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

Rods out of round can wipe out bearings due ti unequal clearances. The bearing will bind in spots and be loose in others.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.