Connecting Rods (movement) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2009, 10:22 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Connecting Rods (movement)

I just put all cylinders in my 454 and on pistons 1&2 there is a slight movement after I torqued the caps down which is of course normal but the others, no movement.
After I put pistons 1,3,5,7 in I made sure the rod slides across the crank journel and push them back so other rod goes in.
The connecting rods and crank have been machined.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2009, 11:31 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc73DD189
I just put all cylinders in my 454 and on pistons 1&2 there is a slight movement after I torqued the caps down which is of course normal but the others, no movement.
After I put pistons 1,3,5,7 in I made sure the rod slides across the crank journel and push them back so other rod goes in.
The connecting rods and crank have been machined.
The rods and their caps should have been marked for position at disassembly. They have to be kept in order- the caps need to be on the same rod they came from, and the caps need to be correctly orientated on the rods.

If in doubt, you need to re-verify the clearances- plastigage will suffice for a quick check to see if there's a problem with the machining or if the bearings are the wrong size. Check the bearing part numbers to be sure they match your application. Check the side clearance between the rods' big ends.

You can try moving the crank fore and aft- like if you were measuring the thrust bearing clearance, and see if that makes a difference.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:47 PM

caps have the numbers

The caps do have the numbers stamped on them and they are lined up with the connecting rods which also have the numbers stamped on them as well.

I will try to see if I can move the crank any to see if I can get some movement.

Is it going to be a major problem if their is no movement at all? I know you don't want a lot of movement.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:25 PM
More for Less Racer

Do you have a set of feeler guages to check the side clearance between the rods and crank?

Is the large chamfer on the rod bearing bore in the rod facing toward the radius edge of the rod pin on the crank and not in toward the other rod? Sometimes rod and piston get assembled together backwards from each other or backwards into the block by mistake.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:14 PM

rod movement

Yes I have a set of feeler guages.

Is the large chamfer on the rod bearing bore in the rod facing toward the radius edge of the rod pin on the crank and not in toward the other rod? Sometimes rod and piston get assembled together backwards from each other or backwards into the block by mistake.

If they are backwards, I'm going to be pissed off, lol. I actually had to read that about five times to try to get a visual of what that looks like. I'll try to check for that. I may even try to see if I can find a good picture in a magazine or the internet.

Thanks
Old 06-08-2009, 06:24 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc73DD189
If they are backwards, I'm going to be pissed off
Another quick check, is to see that all of the witness marks that indicate "forward" on the pistons (if so equipped) or the valve reliefs (that you DO have) are all properly orientated, i.e. that none were installed backwards.

If the pistons were installed on the rods wrong, this can still look right, but then the big ends of the incorrectly installed rods will not be installed with the correct orientation.

With the engine upside down on the stand, with the pistons pointing down and towards you as you stand next to the block (doesn't matter which side), the rods that point towards you should have their numbers orientated in such a way that you can read the numbers on the rod big ends. But you should not be able to read the numbers for the rods that are pointing down and away from you. Those numbers should all be seen from the other side of the engine.

The engine's numbered:
Drivers side- 1, 3, 5, 7
Passenger side- 2, 4, 6, 8
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BBC rods.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	38654  

Last edited by cobalt327; 06-08-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:54 PM

mc73DD189,

What I do when I put an engine together is after I install a piston/rod assembly to the crankshaft I turn the crankshaft to be sure it did not "lock" the crank. I kind of figure as you installed your pistons you had to rotate the crankshaft so you could install the next set.
If the crankshaft can be turned by hand and all pistons have their orientation mark pointing to the front of the engine you are good to go. You can try and fit a feeler gauge in-between the connecting rods on any given journal but that will be very small space.

Now if the crankshaft can not be turned by hand then loosen one bearing at a time. Then try to rotate the crankshaft again. Do this until the crankshaft turns. Once you find the trouble figure out what is causing the lock-up.

Good Luck
Scholman
Old 06-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Is it locking up or is it just loose in 2 cylinders? Cole
Old 06-11-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scholman
mc73DD189,

What I do when I put an engine together is after I install a piston/rod assembly to the crankshaft I turn the crankshaft to be sure it did not "lock" the crank. I kind of figure as you installed your pistons you had to rotate the crankshaft so you could install the next set.
If the crankshaft can be turned by hand and all pistons have their orientation mark pointing to the front of the engine you are good to go. You can try and fit a feeler gauge in-between the connecting rods on any given journal but that will be very small space.

Now if the crankshaft can not be turned by hand then loosen one bearing at a time. Then try to rotate the crankshaft again. Do this until the crankshaft turns. Once you find the trouble figure out what is causing the lock-up.

Good Luck

Scholman
The crank is moving. It turns pretty good. The groove in the pistons are pointing forward. My biggest problem is pistons 1,2 the gap between the rod caps after torqued down I can stick a feeler guage in between them but it reads .008 and according to the book it should read at least .010. The other rod caps, I can't even get a reading because it's a too tight between the two caps.

As for the connecting rods possibly assembled backwards, this I'll check tomorrow and hope things are ok.

I was at a website and saw a picture that may help. If the engine is upside down and I'm facing the front of the engine, the stamped numbers of 2,4,6,8, should be facing to the right and 1,3,5,7 should face to the left.

I'll get it figured out and I have faith in the guys that assembled the connecting rods and pistons.

Thanks for all the help, everyone.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.