Consew 206R - Sounds to cheap..... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2010, 09:40 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Consew 206R - Sounds to cheap.....

I saw this ebay auction for a consew 206R portable machine CLICK HERE. Sounds too cheap, what's wrong with it? Would it be good for learning / practice. I see myself eventually doing light upholstery, at least my own ride, maybe more. I've seen DanTwoLakes say to stay away from newer 206's is this the one he was talking about? I'd really like to find something reasonable to learn with, then move to something more pricey. What do you guys think?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2010, 02:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

The machine in question on E-Bay is a portable machine with the motor built in, not mounted to the table. This is kind of like a real heavy duty home machine. It's like a copy of the Sailrite LS-1 portables. CLICK HERE It is only a drop feed ( material is pulled through with feed dogs) machine instead of a compound feed (which is a combination of drop feed and needle feed) machine. It also only goes 800 stitches per minute top speed instead of 3000 to 3500 stitches per minute like a table model 206. It also has lower foot lift height than the 206 table model. It would be O.K. to learn on because it goes so slow. The reason it goes so slow is that the small motor ( about 1/8th H.P.) needs to be geared down to produce as much torque as a table mounted machine with a 1/2 H.P. motor. The Sailrite machine would be a better choice if you want a portable, but the Sailrite costs $700.

The newer Consew 206 compound walking foot machines are made in China by I don't know who, and they used to be made in Japan by Seiko. The Chinese made machine is absolute junk. I'm guessing this machine is made in China because of the price, but I don't really know.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 03-12-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:09 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the info Dan.
I pretty much figured it wasn't what I was really looking for. I've been practicing a lot on my home machine and am quickly learning the short falls of a home machine. I will just keep my eyes open for a good deal on one that will do what I need for auto upholstery. Thanks again.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:57 PM

Last photo:

You'll find one eventually. I picked up my Singer 111W for 175 bucks. The table cost me another 200 from a different source
Old 03-28-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coodeville
You'll find one eventually. I picked up my Singer 111W for 175 bucks. The table cost me another 200 from a different source
How is that Singer? I have a tacsew right now which seems to be an 206 rb5 knockoff, works fine but not something I would want to spend hours a day working with(which I do). Had a juki 562 before that, but it ran too fast I at the time I didn't want to bother with a servo motor or pulley so I sold it. Big mistake.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcr357
How is that Singer? I have a tacsew right now which seems to be an 206 rb5 knockoff, works fine but not something I would want to spend hours a day working with(which I do). Had a juki 562 before that, but it ran too fast I at the time I didn't want to bother with a servo motor or pulley so I sold it. Big mistake.
It's a great machine. I replaced the bobbin case because the spring was kind of shot. Once I did that it was great. It goes through 1/2 inch sew foam with no problem at all.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.