Consew 226 Needle/Hook Timing problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2012, 08:00 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Consew 226 Needle/Hook Timing problem

For some reason the needle and hook timing of my Consew 226 jumped out of synch the other day. I had been using the machine the other night and everything was fine, but the next morning it no longer would lay down any stitches. When I opened the bobbin case cover I found thread had wrapped itself around the bobbin case twice so I cleared it out. I then tried to pull the bobbin thread up through the needle plate the usual way by by holding onto the needle thread while rotating the handwheel so it would pick up the thread. Nothing happened, the bobbin thread wasn't getting picked up. I then looked at the needle - hook timing and found it's now way off (based on the needle being at bottom dead center and the point of the hook is about 1/2" away from the needle). I've searched the internet looking for the service manual to help me figure out if it's possible the timing belt jumped a tooth or if something else happened. I tried depressing the safety clutch plunger and rotating the handwheel backwards, but nothing happened, it just locked up, which I assume is normal. Are there timing marks that could help me figure out if the timing belt jumped a tooth? Is it possible the needle bar somehow got moved out of adjustment? Is there something else I'm not seeing or thinking about? Are there links to any service manuals, I've tried and cannot find any.
Thanks,
Doug

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012, 10:28 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

These machines don't just magically jump out of time without some reason that caused the problem. Generally even a jam up won't do that. The machine is in time when you rotate the hand wheel and the hook passes the center of the scarf on the needle at the bottom of the needle bar's travel. The first thing I would do is change needles and see if that helps.

Here's a link to how to time your machine: How to Time a Consew Sewing Machine | eHow.com

Here's a link for the manual for your machine: http://www.consew.com/Files/112347/I...als/226R-1.pdf

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:53 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hi Dan,

I adjusted the needle bar so there's a 7/8" gap between the needle plate and the top of the needle eye at the top-dead-center for the needle stroke and that seems to have corrected it. I just got onto my laptop so I have not yet looked at the links you provide, but will to see if there's something else I'm missing. Thanks again for all your help!

Doug
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.