Consew 255RB-2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2010, 07:16 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Consew 255RB-2

Hi. I am looking at purchasing a Consew 255RB-2 and had some questions.

Would this be a good machine for a beginner sewer? I plan on doing auto interiors. Mostly just for my cars and a few others.

It looks well used, some of the paint is worn, but supposedly it has just been gone through. What would be a ballpark price? It has a table, clutch motor and comes with a ton of materials and tools. A guy's dad closed down shop a few years back and its all sitting in storage. I comes with everthing he had in his small shop.

I was looking on Consew site and only saw the 255RB-3. What are the differences between in and the -2?

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

I have a 255RB-3. The RB-2 is an earlier version, but is very similar. It is a compound feed walking foot machine with a 9/16" foot lift. It is self oiling. Mine uses a large 1 1/4" diameter bobbin, but the RB-2 might not, I don't know. The 255 RB-2 machine would not be that old. It is a very good machine and works fine for auto upholstery, or any kind of upholstery work. A beginning sewer may have a hard time with it if it still has the original clutch motor, 'cuz it can really fly. I paid over $1700 for mine new about 5 years ago, so I would say it's worth at least $900 to $1000 with the table, thread stand, bobbin winder, light, and clutch motor. It's worth more if it has been retro-fitted with a servo. If it still has a clutch motor on it, I would spend the $150 to put a servo on it. The servo will let you adjust the speed to slow it down so that you can learn to sew without worrying about the machine taking off on you. If you want a recommendation on a servo motor, let me know.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:07 PM

Last photo:

Worn paint is not a major problem in an industrial machine. The mechanical parts are much stronger than the paint and will last many years longer than a pretty paint job. Most of my industrial machines have been partially or totally repainted.

If you don't plan to replace the clutch motor immediately, make sure it runs on the power source available in your workspace. There are several options available for powering clutch motors and you should check that out before deciding.

Ed
Old 04-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Ed is right, the paint doesn't mean a thing. The only problem with the clutch motor would be if it runs on 3 phase power. Even if it ran on 220 single phase the motor could be re-connected to run on 110. I doubt that someone with a small upholstery shop had 3 phase power. That would only be something a factory would use.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:46 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the help!! Sounds like it would be a decent machine and its priced about right. I think I am going to go ahead a buy it, he wants 1000 for everything. He's throwing in all the hand tools, there was all kinds of upholstry tools, heck I didnt know what half of them were but I will have them about 50 partial rolls of material and all kinds of misc items, foam, windlace, welting, zipper, button/button tool, springs. Now I just have to find a place to put all of it. It took up an area about 10'x6'.

I sure it would'nt be 3ph on the motor, but I will take a look. This was just a family owned shop. I'm an Electrical Engineer so if I have to rewire the motor from 220 to 120 thats right up my alley.

Dan - what servo would you recommend? I am going to try the clutch just because I have never used one but I think after I'm done playing around with it I will switch to a servo. I like the idea of not having to listen to a motor run nonstop and I'm going to need granny speed to start. I've only sewn one set of seat covers w/ a heavier duty(NOT industrial) sewing machine.

Thanks again guys for the info.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:48 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I like the 1/2 h.p. (they rate it at 400 watts, which would be a hair over 1/2 h.p. it's 746 watts to 1 h.p., right?) Reliable SewQuiet 4000. I have them on all 3 of my machines, including my Singer heavy duty long arm. I'm not necessarily recommending this place to buy it from, just search the internet including E-Bay and find the best price. CLICK HERE Most places have them for $179, but I think it can be found for less or at least with no shipping.

That is a deal for the machine and all of the other stuff, by the way. If you don't know what the tools are, just post some pictures, and I'll identify them for you.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:26 AM

Last photo:

Picked up the sewing machine and goodies last weekend. I was like a kid in a candy store. Also had my folk's van full of fabric/vinyl, forgot to take a pic. Kind of sorted through some of the tools and material, wow a lot of stuff I don't know anything about. I just put it in the garage for now, will probably try to go through it next winter and will be asking all kinds of questions. I think I have enough zippers and some sort of button making stuff to last a lifetime. I'm pretty happy w/ my deal, you cant see it in the pics but there is a large roll around tool box and a bunch of small little tool boxes full of all kinds of shop tools - 7 staple guns, multiple air rachets and air drills, Bosch foam saw , hand tools, button press(need to figure out what all goes w/ it), 2 spray glue guns, a box full of thread and a bunch of other goodies.

I did turn on the consew, just because I could'nt wait, WOW its fast. Didn't actually sew just pushed the peddle down twice, I hope I can slip the clutch enough to play around on it, but I think a servo is in my near future. Need to get me some oil before I use it. What do I need for oil and how much should I buy? Then I have to figure out how to oil it and adjust everything. It is already threaded so I kind of have that figured out, have to figure out which way the bobin goes on and how to thread it.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:38 AM

Last photo:

Here are the pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	con1.JPG
Views:	376
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	45277   Click image for larger version

Name:	con2.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	45278   Click image for larger version

Name:	con3.JPG
Views:	304
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	45279  
Old 04-20-2010, 10:27 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Buy any sewing machine oil, do not use anything else. It comes in almost any size container you can think of, but a pint will last a long time. Your machine has an oil reservoir and is self oiling. Also a few drops of oil around the bobbin case, and I like to put some oil on the felt that the thread goes through just above the needle bar.

That Bosch foam saw is $275 to $325 new, BTW. Is it a 1575A?

For $1000, you got the bargain of the century.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:27 AM

Last photo:

Thanks Dan! Ordered some sewing machine oil, couldn't find any local.

The foam cutter is a 1575 didn't see an A, I think there was a couple number before and after the 1575. I think 034 after, don't remember the rest.

Thanks agian for the help. Can't wait for my oil to get here. What kind of oiler do you put it in? I ordered a needle oiler but was thinking a bigger oiler for getting it into the oil resevior on the machine might be handy.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:21 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

For the reservoir, you can just use a small spout oiler. LIKE THIS I have 4 or 5 kinds that each have a specialty. This also works great: CLICK HERE

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 04-21-2010 at 12:36 PM.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.