Consew model 18 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2009, 01:49 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Consew model 18

I picked up an old consew model 18, for free. I have not had much luck finding information about the machine. I am guessing that it is very old, but it seems to sew great. I am just starting out, so it seems to be a great machine to practice on.....except, I think it has an odd size bobbin case. The case is size "a", and I notice most places do not sell prewound upholstery grade bobbins in this size. Any thoughts about this machine? Anyone familiar with this model. All comments are appreciated, thank you in advance. J

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2009, 06:27 AM

Last photo:

I have had a Consew 18 in use since the mid sixties. Still sews like a new one. These are the same machine as a Singer 16. Parts are available on Ebay and several other sources. Free manuals are downloadable from several internet sources. Just search for Singer 16 or 16U. I get some of my steel bobbins and pre wound bobbins from Ebay also.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Here's a link for the online instruction manual and parts book for the Consew 18: CLICK HERE

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 09-08-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:45 PM

I have a consew 244 that uses the large bobbins , I don't have any problems when I use the smaller bobbins . Why not just wind your own ?
Old 09-08-2009, 05:57 PM

Last photo:

I appreciate all of the help guys, I am a complete rookie and never really thought about trying the smaller bobbins. I have been winding my own and it seems to be working fine. I was curious if anyone has personal experience with this model to help identify the individual "quirks" unique to each model. I have upgraded to the servo motor that Dantwolakes suggested, And it has been beautiful. I should have mentioned that I have been lurking on this forum for several months, and I am impressed with the way folks share "tricks of the trade". IT IS APPRECIATED, J
Old 09-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

The smaller (a little over 3/4" in diameter) pre-wound bobbins are size "G". There are larger (almost 1" in diameter) pre-wound bobbins that are size "M". One of those two sizes are used in most industrial machines. I think you should have no problems with size "G" bobbins in your machine. A lot of home machines use size "L" bobbins which are flatter than "G" bobbins, but I used to use "G" bobbins in an old home machine I had with no problem. The bobbins I use now have light cardboard sides, but there are bobbins available that don't have the cardboard.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 09-08-2009 at 11:52 PM.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.