considering a 81 cutlass - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2005, 08:28 PM
tryn to learn

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

considering a 81 cutlass

im looking for a second car/winter car

went and took a look at a 81 cutlass tonight, its metallic grey with light grey interior and black dash. the body and interior are excellent,even has a power sunroof wich is cool. car is just in need of a wash real bad.

before i went and looked at the car i was aware of the engine(267 w/ 2bbl) not 100% healthy, supposivly a Bad valve, said it still runs and drives fine just burns some oil and leaks oil too. when i looked at it tonight the engine was fairly clean but i seen a puddle of oil sittin on the drives side intake on the top inbetween the head and intake.

when he started it up it sqweeled real bad, VERY loud all the belts seemed tight, what could be making it sqweel so bad? he is conviced it was a belt and said they are just dried out because the cars been sitting for 7 months now, so he sprayed some wd40 on them and it did not help 1 bit.

other then that, i know it would need a set of tires and a windsheild to pass saftey inspection. but i looked under the car in the back (past the rear wheels) and seen the frame is starting to rot out like alot of G-bodys.

i really like the car but the engine sqweeling plus bad valve has me worried.

oh and its $300 CAD(approx $240USD) and he showed me recepts of $1700 CAD in repairs since he got it 1.5 years ago like starter, water pump, distribitor, and all the work was done by a shop so thats probaly mostly labour

said hes gona call his mechanic friend about the loud sqweel and take a look at the car and phone me back tommarow night.

What do u guys think about the car?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2005, 09:21 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

The squeal is probably in alternator bearing.

I love those year cars. I also recommend you check the bottoms of the doors. Seems all G-Bodies suffered there and the doors are going for a premium here in the rust belt.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:43 PM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

about the frame, how much rust is to much do ya think? id say the frame is 1/4 rusted out from what i saw... some of the bottom and a little on the sides
Old 04-12-2005, 12:28 AM
The Dude

Last photo:

I dig that body style too. (I think I have a couple pics in my album?) I had an 80 Regal (turbo sport coupe) and an 81 Cutlass. The frame on the Regal was excellent! The frame on the cutlass... UGLY! Be sure to check out the rear portion of the frame VERY CLOSELY! Since you already noticed that it is rotting back there, you may wanna pass on this one. Watch those rear body mounts too! Good luck.

Rock on and God bless...

Seņor
Old 04-12-2005, 09:26 AM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

Some of the welders here should be able to comment on the frame.

I know when I bought my '67 the frame was rotted in the middle and back on one side. I found a local welder that would do it. Some wouldn't.

I later heard that GM engineers routed the rain water from the cowl area through the frame. Sounds hokey to me, but I never crawled inside the frame while it was raining to check it out. In any event, I don't drive in the rain anymore.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:35 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

If the back frame is rusting away,run. Short and sweet.

That is just one side of mine,the other is not as bad. That frame is all that holds the bumper on the rear.There is no rear crossmember.The body mount for the trunck is also missing.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:10 PM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

that looks pretty much like the one on the cutlass, the passenger side was just rusted on the bottom part and the drivers side was rusted on the bottom and up the sides a bit...

i bought a 1980 Monte carlo for parts over 1 year ago, the whole rear bumper just fell off lol

i really like this cutlass, but if the bumpers gona fall off on me i dont want it, i know it will 1 day but i mean if it lasted a couple years that would be fine. dont know how well the saftey inspection would go with the frame like that? or would i have to pay him some extra to get it to pass

Thank god the frame on my Grand prix is still solid, or least i think it is... maybe i should test it
Old 04-16-2005, 01:41 PM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

ah well i just picked up a 88 firebird, runs awesome, its the 2.8L v6 with 5 spd... 207,000 KM not sure in miles... just drove it home about 40 miles. from what i can see it just needs tires and possibly a windsheild.

anyone know aprox how much HP these things got? i know it wont be much , but be kinda nice to know
Old 04-16-2005, 07:26 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

Book says 135 HP.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.