Considering an Auto Career! Should I be concerned about Electric Cars? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2009, 06:07 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Considering an Auto Career! Should I be concerned about Electric Cars?

Recently I've been considering a career path to becoming an Auto Mechanic. It always seems like people need their cars to be fixed no matter what! Even in this rough economy people are still getting cars repaired!

Something I've heard a lot of people ask me is "Aren't you concerned about when they switch all the cars over to Electric?" I'm usually a little surprised when people ask me this since I don't really see Electric cars as coming out really soon. I guess they hope that they will come out sooner! Personally I don't feel like the training I would get in the next year would be outdated. Here are some reasons:

1. Switching ourselves over to an Electric grid isn't as easy as people make out. It would take a lot of of Private money and government money to do this. This is going to take several years!

2. Charging a car takes a few hours. I see people at the gas station who get impatient filling their cars up for a couple minutes! Americans are just not willing to be that patient!

3. Car nowadays have a lot of safety rules and regulations they have to pass. Even if you wanted to bring out Electric cars as soon as you could....... you still have to pass safety standards. A difficult thing to do in America today!

4. Lots of jobs depend on the supply of parts and production of the Internal Combustion Engines. Including producing and selling replacement parts. I honestly haven't seen numbers which would replace all those jobs. Green jobs aren't going to give nearly as many jobs as we need to replace.

5. There are still other alternative energy sources that are still promising. Like hydrogen fuel cell, and biodiesel. They are even more promising maybe than Electric. They can utilize our already existing gas station infrastructure instead of starting form scratch.

6. I've read that the best battery energy technology, Lithium-ion, is in short supply for car production. Almost 75% goes to laptop, and cellphone batteries. Even if everyone stopped using cellphones, and laptops (which is not going to happen!) there would only be a enough for a few million cars to be produced each year.

7. Speculators and producers know there will be shortages in the future. They are buying up the few places that can produce Lithium-ion so they can bid up the prices mercilessly! Electric cars will be very expensive!

I'm not trying to put done electric cars. I'm just pointing out it will be a long time before they are widely available. I know hybrids in the next few years will be much more popular. Hybrids are more viable though because they have longer ranges. In my opinion the death of the Internal Combustion Engine isn't coming soon.

Of course all those questions and comments have made me wonder. Is there going to be an Electric car revolution so quickly? What do people here think? Should I be concerned?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2009, 06:30 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Another factor to keep in mind is that much of electric car technology remains "old" automotive tech...exactly what you intend to study. Yes, the power plant is different, but much of the drive train and suspension on an electric car remains the same or quite similar to the normal automobile...and with little effort you will most likely be able to switch right over to electric vehicle maintenance. After all, SOMEBODY is going to have to keep those cars going. It's not like there are a gazillion specially trained Electronic Automobile Technicians sitting around waiting in the wings. If there is a major swing to electric automobiles, I'm convinced it will be the mechanics of today, with a bit of additional education, who will be fixing them.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:47 PM

Last photo:

I did read in the paper yesterday that someone had figured out a new way to make the lithium ion batteries so that they could be charged very quickly. Just a change in the way they put them together. Also read that B.C. Hydro was partnering with someone to start putting in recharge stations in B.C.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:16 PM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I wouldn't think it would be an issue at all. If anything, I think those cars are going to be ven more complex. And as Cboy points out, the drive train is only one system of a very complex machine that will require maintenence and repair. Just hope you like electronics!

You could always go into autobody repair, people wil never stop having accidents!
Old 03-14-2009, 07:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Specialize...specialize...specialize.

Electrical automotive experts make the most usually, because its the worst headaches that come with the job.

I've always found electrical problems the most interesting to diagnose myself, but usually the most uninteresting to repair.

Specialize dude!
Old 03-14-2009, 08:03 PM

Last photo:

If you want to make real good money and not have to spend years getting the education for it, consider wind turbines, install and repair. They showed on TV yesterday, real good money, booming now and will most likely get even bigger. There are specialty companies that train and employ. But,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you also need to be ok with heights, as most are service while upright, about 100+ feet up! LOL (counts me out!)

My son is a Lexus tech and won't touch any hybrid cars. The dealership has ONE hybrid guy, specially trained by Toyota. The previous guy made one mistake and took umpteen zillion volts to his hand, which is now a stub. They are VERY dangerous if you are not super qualified and experienced with the electric side of them.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:43 PM
turbo lag......yeeeeehaaaaaaw

Last photo:

I can tell you that you have to know exactly what your are doing when working with a hybrid car. I've never seen the lexus hybrid but Ford has ALL high voltage lines in a separate wire loom that is bright orange. You also have to wear lineman gloves, a face shield, disconnect the battery pack, and set up a 3ft buffer zone around the car. I remember you also had to have someone with a 10ft fiberglass pole to move you out of the way if you got electrocuted but I cant find it in my manual right now.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:36 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969NovaSS
I can tell you that you have to know exactly what your are doing when working with a hybrid car. I've never seen the lexus hybrid but Ford has ALL high voltage lines in a separate wire loom that is bright orange. You also have to wear lineman gloves, a face shield, disconnect the battery pack, and set up a 3ft buffer zone around the car. I remember you also had to have someone with a 10ft fiberglass pole to move you out of the way if you got electrocuted but I cant find it in my manual right now.
Yep, that pretty much covers it! LOL But it's true in most cases. Serious voltage to contend with. Kinda like putting a quick disconnect on the power line out back and sending some poor schmo up there on a metal ladder to work on it.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:15 PM

Last photo:

There is nothing scary about working on hybrids.The only way you can get hurt is if you are not following procedure.
On Honda civics in every manual before you start working on it.It tells you to remove the back seat and turn it off.Then you flip the switch cover over to make sure it can not be turned on.(locked out)
I have worked on many cvt transmissions and I am still here.

It reminds of when srs(air bags) came along and abs.If it,s new and you don,t understand how it works,then it must be scary and "nobody" can work on it.Bring it to me,I know how to read a manual.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Jaw Chuck
Specialize...specialize...specialize.
Honestly it isn't a good idea to specialize! You want to keep you options open. That's why I think getting trained as an Auto Mechanic is a good idea even if I choose a different career.

I understand what you are saying. It's just that when people specialize in one field and are trained to do one very specific thing, what do you do when demand for you specific job drys up? In Video Games, which is supposedly recession proof, they have been lots of layoffs! Going into Video Games might have been a good idea a few years ago, but now it's a much more crowded and competitive field.

What Jmark said about getting trained to repair Wind Turbines and "Green" Technology, is probably true. I'm sure lots of people are going into that field now. Fairly soon that will become overcrowded though and the specific technology you got trained to repair might become obslete before you know it!
Old 03-15-2009, 03:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
Yes, the power plant is different, but much of the drive train and suspension on an electric car remains the same or quite similar to the normal automobile...and with little effort you will most likely be able to switch right over to electric vehicle maintenance.
Yeah! Sometimes people ask me these questions about Electric Cars under the assumption they aren't going to be using steering columns, brakes, wheels, heaters, radios, etc!!!! Do people really think that Electric cars won't run on some principles that cars today run on? There probably will be a lot more electronics in cars. Some of the technology will be the same!

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.