Considering changing intake on sbc 350 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2010, 08:27 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Considering changing intake on sbc 350

Hello guys its me again. First my setup
350 SBC, edelbrock rpm performer dual plane holley 600 vs carb
World sportsman 2 heads,9:1 compression,
current hydraullic roller crane cam 284,292 222/230 @ 50 509/528 lift but being changed to custom grind hydraullic roller260,270 212/218 @ 50 510/510 lift. Transmission is a 350 turbo with 2000,2200 stall range and 3.42 rear end gear.

I am not an expert on intake manifolds but I do know dual planes are the best for street performance wise over a open plane. I was wondering will a dual plane intake such as the weiand action plus or the edelbrock eps intake help from off idle through say the 3000 rpm range for better fuel atomization and better throttle response along with fuel distribution?

My Edelbrock rpm performer says a 1500-6500 rpm range but the weiand action plus intakes and the edelbrock eps intakes say idle to 5500 rpm. I am not looking for the most top end power I can get but the best from bottom end to midrange that I can get with my setup with my engine making the most of what I got. I am not cranking my motor to 5000 plus rpm everyday and no track time for it ever.

This is an everyday driver and I am going to smaller cam for better street manners and torque. I just did not know if a idle to 5500 rpm intake would work better with my smaller cam or not. Or if it does not make that much of a difference then I will keep my rpm intake.

I know my world heads are a little big with 200 cc runner which take some bottom end away but these heads are still good heads for my mild combo as far as heads goes and are way better then smogger heads.

Honestly I don't know if a lower band intake will do better on fuel atomization and distribution then my current edelbrock rpm intake or not. I won't get a edelbrock performer cause they are not recommended for any thing but normally stock motors. Thanks guys for any input. Please be kind.
Eric

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2010, 09:36 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

i like the performer rpm, but im thinking an air gap may be better.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:37 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

I'd stick with the performer rpm. A 4 hole 1" spacer under the 600 will work good if you have the room under the hood. I don't know where you heard that performers were for basically stock engines but there's a lot of people that will disagree with that. For what your planing I think the performer would be ideal with the higher stall converter.

Last edited by sqzbox; 08-14-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:13 PM

Last photo:

Well I am already running a 4 hole 1 inch spacer right now and was looking at the weiand street warrior 8120 intake. I was not meaning the edelbrock performer was only for stock engines I have just read from other peoples experience it does not do more then an old cast iron stock intake. Anyways I don't want to go with one of those anyways cause they are spreadbore/squarebore and I want to stick with squarebore only.

The street warrior intakes look nice but who cares on looks I am curious if it would work better for overall use of my truck being an everyday driver and if it would be more better for fuel distribution and give better throttle response and a broader torque curve and still pull strong on my engine and work better with my smaller cam I am putting in.

Eric
Old 08-14-2010, 10:26 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

That's what I have on my 350 with the GM heavy duty cam, 1" 4 hole and performer rpm with the 600 Holley. Throttle response is almost as good as fuel injection! I have 4:10's in the rear but only a stock converter in my 4x4.

I'd stick with the high rise dual plane rpm being your going with the smaller cam and your vacuum is going to go up a little with the cam change also.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:29 PM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I agree with sqzbox, I think the Performer would be IDEAL, and they make an 1/8" plate that makes it just like a squarebore. The EPS would be a good one too though,
Old 08-15-2010, 07:56 AM

Last photo:

Hello sqzbox what are your engine specs by chance? What heads cam etc. So your running a edelbrock rpm performer intake and how does your engine do starting wise and do you ever have any issues with fuel distribution or miss firing on your plugs?

All my stuff is up to spec but my number 7 cylinder always wants to miss here and there and even putting in a brand new plug as soon as you fire it up it misses here and there. It gets more fuel then some of my other cylinders. Someone stated in a previous post that the number 7 and 8 cylinders are the bottom of the intake runners and the last to get fuel etc.

All my stuff is brand new and has all been checked but part of the problem is my cam in it now has a very crappy idle even with my timing and the carburetor set up right the idle is only fair and not very good for everyday driving.

I just wondered if going to a intake that has a lower power band from idle to 5500 rpm range instead of the edelbrock performer rpm 1500-6500 rpm range would help with better fuel mixture distribution to all of my cylinders and better mid range response. I don't want to buy a new intake and it really not do much difference between the performer rpm I have now if I don't have too. Thus the reason why I am seeking advice here.

It seems that with my intake already being a highrise along with the one inch 4 hole spacer kind of makes it too much of a high rise and some minor fuel distribution issues.

The cam is part of the cause of that problem with over 66 degrees of overlap from seat to seat timing. My new cam has only 41 seat to seat so it will help out a lot and I will gain some added torque on bottom end.
Thanks guys
Eric
Old 08-15-2010, 09:19 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

My engine is a stock 79 4 bolt main with the heavy duty cam offered in 79 from GM. CR is 8:5:1. You know my intake system and I have long tube headers. Tranny is a Th350 B&M shift kit, stock converter, and 4:10 gears in a 14 bolt 1 ton limited slip full floating axle's rear end.
The spacer (1" 4 hole) is a dual purpose. You can put a 4 hole insert in or a open plenum insert. If I were you, I would try an open plenum spacer instead of the 4 hole. That might help with the fuel distribution problem.
A good strong spark helps also. What kind of plugs do you have at what heat range? I have a stock HEI with one step colder plugs gaped at .0040 and have no problem with starting, matter of fact, it start's so fast I just about can't get off the key fast enough.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:51 AM

Last photo:

Well I tried a open spacer and it made my engine run too lean and took away bottom end really bad. I went back to the 4 hole spacer and got it alll back with way better throttle response. Also my truck starts up just fine and am running performance hei with performance wires and have ran different spark plug heat ranges and I have to run hot plugs or they foul out after a short time.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:08 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

All that should change when you install the smaller cam as your vacuum signal will go up.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:39 PM

Last photo:

Well guys I went down to my local Advance auto store and looked at both the Edelbrock eps intake and the weiand 8120 intake and they both looked like good intakes and the runners on the inside look about equal as far as casting goes and it was pretty smooth on both of them.

I have decided after looking at different dyno pages on mild 350 small blocks that I can go with a idle to 5500 rpm range intake and still make really good torque and horsepower. I believe this will work better with my cam power band of 1000 to 5000 rpm range.

I am going with the edelbrock eps cause it looks a little more stronger around the bolt flanges with more metal and is a little heavier but I don't care about that. I know the weiand's are made with less metal and are lighter cause they are permanent mold casted as to where the edelbrock's are not.

I will just put my edelbrock rpm performer intake up on ebay next month after I get my cam swap done.

Thanks guys for your input. It helps to know what others are running and have good results with there setups. I might loose just a few ponies off top but should not be noticeable. I should still be making about 350 horsepower and 400 plus pounds of torque at the flywheel.
Cheers
Old 08-15-2010, 02:47 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Don't forget about the Holley manifolds. I have a contender on a 350 and it makes great power of idle all the way up to 5k. I don't think it's called the contender anymore though, but i think it's still the same design with a new name.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.