Consigning your classic car - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 02:12 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Consigning your classic car

Does anyone have any experience consigning their car? The good. The bad. Anything useful.

I am considering consigning my car because I don't want to deal with tirekickers and scammers, and I'd like to believe the reputable ones have connections that I may not get access to by just using a couple of online classic car classified sites. A quick google search shows a few places, but nothing within 6 hours from me. So, it's not like I can just drop in and talk to someone in person.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 04:33 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Never dealt with one. I'd rather sell them myself, and I wont deal with tire kickers either! I usually sell on Craigslist, and I make sure everything is listed in the ad. I put in the ad that I wont reply to emais, which eliminates some goofballs. When people call and start asking me things that are in my ad I usually tell them that info is in the ad.
If people arrange to come look at the car, I tell them I'll take them for a drive, but I wont let them drive until they bring cash to purchase. Yeah, it stops some tire kickers, but anybody who's seen the car, heard it run, and is serious, will come back with cash if the only thing stopping them is a test drive.
I've had very few hassles selling locally, but if you really want to maximize the sale price you should consider selling it on Ebay, and take lots of great pictures, with plenty of info in the auction, and a reserve.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:52 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

Six hours away would be a no-no in my book, especially since it's a Classic. Why not try to sell it on your own thru Craigslist and if you get too much "junk" then remove it and try something else. I sold my '55 myself but I was in the Boonies and only the "Serious" buyers/lookers bothered to try and come look at it. The Scammers are everywhere so learn to spot them and delete or ignore when you see one. If there is any GOOD advise that I have to give you it's this - - TELL THEM UP FRONT THAT IT IS A CASH ONLY SALE WITH NO EXCEPTIONS!

Good Luck and let us know if anything works good or bad for you. This info is always nice to have,

WR
Old 02-01-2013, 05:14 PM

Last photo:

sold some high dollar cars on ebay. If you want a good price that is the way to go. Put a reserve on her that is about $1000 to $1200 of what you want and consider that the haggling on price. Also have a $500 deposit thru paypal the balance in cash or bank transfer. You can open a new account just for this sale. The buyer can only put cash in , they can not take it back. make sure all funds are cleared Hand them the keys & title and tell the to be on their way. Done deal!!
Old 02-01-2013, 05:17 PM

Last photo:

also you could start right here and post it in the classifieds Oh yeah it's free!!
Old 02-01-2013, 06:07 PM

I'm surprised to hear a couple votes for eBay. I've been watching regularly for similar cars for a year on eBay, and I never see any bids for half of what I am looking for. They almost never meet reserve, either.

I listed a project Bel Air four times last year before I finally got a legit buyer. Someone would bid at the last second and never pay up. It was frustrating. I figured out how to adjust my settings to eliminate some of that, but all the bidders had high ratings.

I may be missing something, but there just doesn't seem to be much action once prices get over $15k. I guess it won't hurt to try.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:26 PM
Last photo:

I have looked on Ebay myself for 34 Ford streetrods and I am shocked at what they go for. I will let mine rot in the garage before selling it for what I've seen.

Vince
Old 02-01-2013, 06:31 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

I've bought lots of accessories and parts on Ebay but never even thought about buying a Classic Car there. The thing about Vintage and Classics is that you "really" need to put your hands and eyeballs on them in order to know what you're buying and you can't do that with Ebay !
Old 02-01-2013, 07:20 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

What you want and what you get is to different things in todays Market... It is coming back up but slow... As far as letting someone else sell it...

I don't trust them either,, I would sell it myself.. As far as the tire kicker's,, Tell them right off the starting line,, THIS IS THE WAY IT IS... they don't like it,,They will leave,,, You will know the ones that really want it... The way to handle it for the ones that might be scammer's,, Tell them cash in my hand when you pick up the car,,, No other way,,, You will know how the scammer's are... Don't ask how I know,,,
Old 02-02-2013, 06:54 AM

Last photo:

sell'n

i have used c/l a few times with good results.. but u gotta put the ad together truthfully.. and in Cap's put in no paypal, stupid checks.. cash only or other payment u'd except. put in if u call it an item u automaticly get deleted.. i'd also suggest using another email address other then your normal one to do reply's and chew someones butt out for really stupid questions.. i use yahoo and the background info to set it up, u'd never be able to fine me... state is diff, zip in another state etc.. 95% of replies will be trash...
Old 02-03-2013, 06:17 PM

Last photo:

IF you use a consignment outfit be cautious of the trick they like to use.
They will let your car set for a while and not take any offers even if there are some.
Say you ask 30k, lowest you will go is 29k. they get offer for 29k,tell buyer you wont accept it -
Then they contact you and tell you you need to lower the price x amount, you agree since no action .
They contact buyer that had the offer and say you are ready to sell. They keep the 'discount" you okayed and also charge you their commission you agreed to when you consigned it.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:15 AM

consignment

contact mjcclassiccars.com

Owner name is Mike. One of the best in the business.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

My son had a Porsche Boxter listed on eBay in Houston, an interested buyer in Colorado contacted him, and hired a third party company near Houston, to come evaluate the car, which was immaculate. He reported back to the prospective buyer it appears to have an oil leak, which covered the motor. It was just dust accumulated since he last detailed it. The buyer backed away.

Just something to consider, keeping in mind the appraiser will not discuss his findings with you, he reports his 'thoughts' and findings only to his customer, and it's not always accurate.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.