Con't saga of HEI weak spark - Doc (or anyone) take a look at these pics please! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2007, 07:09 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Con't saga of HEI weak spark - Doc (or anyone) take a look at these pics please!

Started testing the various things.

First, heres the settings on my meter:

With the meter set at 200, I measured between TACH and BATT, this was the reading, which seems in spec:

But then I switched the meter to a higher setting, and measured between TACH and the coil center nub, and then between BATT and the coil center nub, like this, with these readings:

No matter where I set the ohmmeter, I get the same reading on this test.

Those are the same readings the meter reads when it's not hooked up to anything. Is that infinity?

Do those readings mean the coil is bad?

That would be odd, because this is a brand new cap/coil. Also, I tried the same test on the old cap/coil, and got the exact same readings. The old cap/coil were working fine when removed from the car a month aqo.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2007, 07:54 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Unless the pictures are deceiving, your meter is set wrong..

It looks like in the first one it is set to OFF..

And in the second one it is set to Volts not ohms (which is 180 around from the Volts scale)

Test the meter, short the probes set on OHMS..it should read 000, then infinite whit the probes open...Then set the meter for OHMS (bottom left) R X ! scale, do the primary...less than an ohm..but more than 000.

Then set the scale for R X 10 K of higher, and do the secondary, it should read 6,000 to 30,000 ohms..

Doc
Old 02-15-2007, 08:03 PM

Last photo:

Hi Doc, the pics aren't very clear, but you are looking at the wrong end of the knob.

In the first 2 pics, it is set to 200 Ohms.

In the second 2 pics, it is set to 20k Ohms.

With that in mind, what do you think of the readings in the pictures?
Old 02-15-2007, 08:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

ARE you SURE it is set to 200 ohms??

The Rounded end to me seems like it would be the index pointer, and the indented end seems like it would be the rear of the index pointer..

try this: short the probes like it is set in pic 1, DOES the readout go to "000" and hold? IF NOT, reverse the index pointer, and do it again, if it goes to "000" then it's 180 off scale....

Doc
Old 02-15-2007, 08:52 PM

Last photo:

Yep, I'm sure.

Isn't the second pic proof enough for ya, Doc! If that were off, it wouldn't be showing 00.9 on the screen!

But to put your doubting mind to rest:

Here's set at 200 ohms with the prongs grounded together. For some reason, it sometimes goes to 000, but sometimes not quite.

And here's at 2000 ohm. At this setting, it goes to 000 when grounded.

And here's OFF. It goes to blank screen!

So, I'm getting infinity ohms when measuring between BATT and the center nub, and infinity ohms when measuring between TACH and the center nub.

This seems to indicate a bad coil, no?

But isn't it odd to have TWO bad coils? One on my brand new coil, and the other on my old one that worked fine when removed a month ago?

And if the readings indicate conclusively that both are bad, is there something on my car that is blowing them up? Or it is likely just a coincidence?
Old 02-15-2007, 09:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

Use the 2000 ohm setting...something is not right worth the 200 ohm setting, it may have be overloaded at somepoint..it should read "000" there like it does on the 2000 ohm setting (unless your battery is weak)

If it reads 1.0 on the secondary, the coil is shorted...toss it. If it reads infinity on the secondary, the coil is blown open..toss it..

The readings should be..about Primary: 0.30 to 0.90 (or close to it) with meter set to 2000 ohms, and with the meter set to 20k ,the SECONDARY should read..6,000 to 30,000 ohms..(or close to it)

Anything else is a bad coil, OR it is shorted inside the cap when it was installed to ground (check to be sure)

Bad coils aren't uncommon out of the box but I'd check BOTH, to be sure the old one may not be bad at all.

Doc
Old 02-15-2007, 11:05 PM

Last photo:

Hmm. I went to the parts store and tested some of the coils they had, and got the same readings as mine.

I took the distributor out of the car, and using a set of jumpers, attached the negative post of the battery to the distributor body, and + to the BATT post on the distributor, and gave it a spin. It sparked pretty good.

So the distributor seems to be working . . .

I think next I'll try putting it back in the car, and running it with a direct ground from the negative post of the battery to the body of the distributor, and a direct line from the postive post of the battery to the BATT post on the distributor.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:39 PM

Last photo:

Well, I thought that was going to work for sure, but it didn't.

How can I be getting spark when I take it off the car and attach it directly to the battery, but no spark when I put it back in the car, but still drive it directly off the battery?!?

I'm not getting weak spark, I'm getting no spark at all. (Earlier today, I did notice at least some very weak sparking at the plug that I had pulled).
Old 02-16-2007, 12:42 PM
Certified Lead Foot

Last photo:

Do you have a good ground from the battery to the block? Then make sure you have a good wired connection from the alt to the block too. Too many let the mechanical connections be the electrical and that sometimes don't work so well.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:50 PM

Last photo:

Yes, the ground from the battery to the block is good, it is all new hardware and cabling.

The grounding from the alternator to the block, hmm, I don't see any, that seems to rely on mechanical connections. And the alternator is held to the block by way of a long aluminum bracket. Is that not sufficient? (That is how the car has run for 14 years).

Also, I intend to test run the distributor off a completely separate battery. If I connect the + post on that battery to the BATT post on the distributor, and connect the - post on the battery to the body of the distributor (using jumper cables), the distributor should fire, correct?
Old 02-16-2007, 01:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschev
Hmm. I went to the parts store and tested some of the coils they had, and got the same readings as mine.

I took the distributor out of the car, and using a set of jumpers, attached the negative post of the battery to the distributor body, and + to the BATT post on the distributor, and gave it a spin. It sparked pretty good.

So the distributor seems to be working . . .

I think next I'll try putting it back in the car, and running it with a direct ground from the negative post of the battery to the body of the distributor, and a direct line from the postive post of the battery to the BATT post on the distributor.
Doc here,

First off, your OHMS scale on your meter may be damaged, it may at some point got an accidental DC voltage and fried the precision resistors inside the meter, at any rate , It doesn't sound right, AND I wouldn't trust it until you have it checked out..

Doc
Old 02-16-2007, 02:02 PM
Stroked Z28

Last photo:

Have you checked the ignition module in the HEI? If you don't have a spare one, beg borrow or steal one. A bad module will stop an HEI dead in its tracks.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:04 PM

Last photo:

I agree - although the meter seems to read correct on some measurements (for example, the measurements between the BATT and TACH prongs shown in the pictures above seem to be accurate), something seems wrong with the meter and I am no longer relying on it.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:04 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschev
Well, I thought that was going to work for sure, but it didn't.

How can I be getting spark when I take it off the car and attach it directly to the battery, but no spark when I put it back in the car, but still drive it directly off the battery?!?

I'm not getting weak spark, I'm getting no spark at all. (Earlier today, I did notice at least some very weak sparking at the plug that I had pulled).

Doc here,

Because the Module as well as the coil relies on a good ground..If your engine as well as your Dizzy is not getting THE SAME good ground, it won't fire..REMEMBER: The PLUGS share the same ground..

A weak coil may provide enough of a jolt to fire ONE plug with a spark, but not enough to fire 8..with a usable spark.

If the module were going thermal, It may be shutting down after a few seconds..Did you have that tested?

Doc
Old 02-16-2007, 02:05 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mouse
Have you checked the ignition module in the HEI? If you don't have a spare one, beg borrow or steal one. A bad module will stop an HEI dead in its tracks.
But doesn't the fact that it sparks like crazy when I take it off the car and hook it up directly to the battery, as described in my post above, mean that that module and the HEI are good?

("I took the distributor out of the car, and using a set of jumpers, attached the negative post of the battery to the distributor body, and + to the BATT post on the distributor, and gave it a spin. It sparked pretty good.")

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.