Conte Enterprises front suspension - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2002, 04:29 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question Conte Enterprises front suspension

I am searching for any information regarding CONTE Enterprises (Mike Conte) front suspension kits. I acquired the kit with a 37 Chevy sedan. I know the car was taken apart in the early 90's and the suspension company is now out of business. The package uses a manufactured cross member, tubular control arms (lower with strut rod), 68-72 chevelle 3-piece spindle, aldan adjustable shocks, and 73-77 pinto steering. I have all of the components except for the ball joints. If anyone has information pertaining to the functionality of the aforementioned kit please respond. Also, if I am to use the kit, I need to find ball joints.

[ March 18, 2002: Message edited by: Randmansmith ]

[ March 20, 2002: Message edited by: Randmansmith ]

[ March 20, 2002: Message edited by: Randmansmith ]</p>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2002, 03:23 AM

Can you post some pictures and or measurements. I have a friend with a kit like you have in a 38 coupe. If they are the same he may be able to help you. He works out of town but will be in friday. cj
Old 03-19-2002, 04:20 PM

CJ, I have taken the following measurements from the balljoint insert areas in each control arm. Each arm has a tapered area for the balljoint to be pressed into, the head of the balljoint seats against that tapered area and is concealed by a larger cap on the upper arm.

Upper measurements.
Tapered Area: 1.5" Recess for head: 1.75" Cap 2"

Lower Mearsurements.
Tapered Area: 2.0" Recess for head: 2.25"

That may be confusing so I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow night.

My only other sourse of information comes from a generic installation video made by the owner of Conte Enterprises, Mike Conte. Unfortunatley I have no paperwork and my father who started the project was killed in a motorcycle accident. On his behalf, I would like to get the car on four wheels again.

Thanks for your reply, and any info your friend has would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-19-2002, 05:22 PM

Are you sure it's not Kantor? They used to advertise in Hemmings all the time.
Old 03-19-2002, 06:54 PM

Most parts houses or the factory rep (moog)etc. will have a cataloge that will give pics of all the joints along with the measurements and applactions. Some where on the joint will also be stamped the manufactur and also the part number.
Try a napa store I know they have this info as I was an outside sales rep for napa for several years. Hope this helps, if not contact me and I will cross the joints over for you.
Old 03-20-2002, 04:56 AM
Toy builder

Last photo:

Rand why not buy a frontend kit?? You would save some bucks with the shocks you allready have. The frontend with strut rods on the lower a-frames is not a very good deal either. I would also NOT use a pinto rack.(if its power it will be even worse) You will just have problems as the earlyer kits worked really poorly. Go get a good kit and it will be as safe car that you can drive. If you have your mind set on it let me tell you this much.Back in the early days everybody and there brother was making a"kit" most were worthless.Guys just did not study up on bumpsteer and castor and camber gain.Heck akerman steering was not even a thought. It may even be to wide. Do not want to burst your bubble as your dad probably bought the best there was at the time,,but times have changed .The stuff on the market is whole bunch better than what we used to do. I know this IS the low buck board deal,but the frontend is no place to look for a deal.Its what makes a car drivable or not(as in a parade car or a good driver) Stay away from the Fat stuff
Old 03-20-2002, 12:57 PM

Smile

Kanter Obsolete Auto Parts is still in business. I'm not sure if that is what you mean, but you could check them out at kanter.com
Old 03-20-2002, 05:55 PM

Fred and Coupe30: Sorry I had an error in typing Conte Enterprises on the first post. That is fixed now.

Oldsfan: I spent some time at a local autoparts store looking through their large Moog inventory and cataloge. The cataloge listed pictures by part number sequence but I didn't have a lot of luck since the cataloge didn't list a table of size specifications. I could try Napa next.

Phat: Very good points. I have looked into new systems as well. I agree that strut rods are a thing of the past. The installation Video from Conte does say that the system is engineered to be free of bump steer and Akerman correct (rack is manual). Hub-Hub width appears to be around 54". I think anything over 57" creates clearence problems in this car. No bubble bursted though, I realize that new packages are probably better (with replacement parts available if necessary). If I am to choose a new system, I'll see it as an investment, and the old system as a sunk cost.

I see from a few other posts that you suggest avoinding the "overwieght guy's stuff". Just curious as to why. I understand being respectfull so if you want you can answer by my listed e-mail if you have time.
Old 03-25-2002, 05:32 AM
Toy builder

Last photo:

Rand I have one in here now with the overweight stuff under it.The customer thought he was buying good stuff because its in every book and tons of install articles. But truth be told it has got broken welds,bump steer is horriable(i have gauges to check this stuff)The rack is mounted in corectly. All this the customer has had to suffer with for 4 years cause he could not get it drive good. Most of the kits are just a starting place. Akerman has to be figured by wheelbase.How the heck do these guys know what wheel base you have??? They dont want to get into tellin cause truth be knowen it really is not safe to fix some of there spindles to get it correct.(requires bending or fabing steering arms) His stuff has been the worst. Hey if you cant find your parts e-mail some pix's of a-arms.I am no know it all.But have seen a fair amount of frontends.Did you check corvair??? That was a popular one years back. I have changed some older a-frames over to the chyrsler screw in ball joints. The stock car racin industry will sell you just the screw in part so you mod or make your own a-frames. Good Luck

[ March 25, 2002: Message edited by: Phat ]</p>
Old 04-11-2002, 04:26 AM

OK, I found the lowers by using a 67 Chevelle. (spindle is 68-72). A rod builder recommended a moog k6119 for the upper but that number is out of service. ??

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.