Continuous in tank fuel pump problems? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 11:36 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Continuous in tank fuel pump problems?

I am working on a stock 1973 Vega. The car sat up for ten years before I got it. I removed the gas tank had it boiled out and pressure tested, installed a new fuel pump inside the tank, blew out the gas line with compressed air, rebuilt the carb and the car ran fine for several months. In the last year I have had to remove the gas tank 2 times and replace the fuel pump. Never could see any trash or any other reason why the fuel pump kept going bad. No continuity across the electrical terminals the first 2 times. Now I hear the pump running, but there is no gas coming out of the line near the tank. The longest I let the car set up was 5 days. I have a Holley electric fuel pump that is designed to work outside the tank mounted to the frame. Any reason that I shouldn't use this fuel pump in an attempt to solve the problem for good? I am frustrated with having to remove the tank and replace the fuel pump every few months. Always kept plenty of gas in the tank. Any other suggestions? Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 07:24 AM
Old & Furious

if the in tank pump is not going work usally an external can be made to function. is it efi or carb?

Is there a way to install a filter on the in tank pump?

Is the wire thick enough to support the pump running all the time. Thin wire will burn the pump up after a few months of working. Also is the pump connected to a relay stright to the battery and a trip for the relay going from the key.

Where did you find a stock 73 vega LOL.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:38 AM

Last photo:

Fuel pump issues

1. The Vega has a Holley two barrel carburator fed by a 3/8 line from gas tank.

2. The tank fuel pump has a sock filter over the suction end of the pump. I installed a new filter when I installed the new pump. When I replaced the pump twice before, I did not see any trash in the filter. I have not taken the gas tank out yet, but I can hear the pump running when I turn the key on.

3. Don't know if wire thickness is heavy enough, but its the wire that GM put in there from the factory. Can't know if pump is connected to a relay straight to battery because all the wiring is concealed, but the pump only comes on when you turn the ignition switch to the on position.

4. I found the stock 73 Vega by accident. My back door neighbor had it. I was planning on restoring the car and selling it for $2700. I have all the body work done and have it ready to paint when the weather warms up to 75 degrees in the spring. I don't want to sell a lemon, so I am trying to fix everything that is wrong with it to make a reliable car. So far this fuel pump issue is the only thing I can't fix permanatly. Thanks for your advise.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:01 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

empty out all the gas, then run a few gallons of E85 through it over a period of a week or so. If there is any built up varnish the E85 will dissolve it.

I had to do that to my 78 Bobcat that sat for about 5 years before I bought it and when nothing else would cure it plain old E85 took care of it with no problems.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:25 AM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodMan View Post
1. The Vega has a Holley two barrel carburator fed by a 3/8 line from gas tank.

2. The tank fuel pump has a sock filter over the suction end of the pump. I installed a new filter when I installed the new pump. When I replaced the pump twice before, I did not see any trash in the filter. I have not taken the gas tank out yet, but I can hear the pump running when I turn the key on.

3. Don't know if wire thickness is heavy enough, but its the wire that GM put in there from the factory. Can't know if pump is connected to a relay straight to battery because all the wiring is concealed, but the pump only comes on when you turn the ignition switch to the on position.

4. I found the stock 73 Vega by accident. My back door neighbor had it. I was planning on restoring the car and selling it for $2700. I have all the body work done and have it ready to paint when the weather warms up to 75 degrees in the spring. I don't want to sell a lemon, so I am trying to fix everything that is wrong with it to make a reliable car. So far this fuel pump issue is the only thing I can't fix permanatly. Thanks for your advise.
Well you got a few possiblities.

One the pumps were all bad brand new. Its not likley but also something every mechanic has come across in there career.

Two the pumps are burning up with too small a wire or contact point and not getting the power needed to work correctly and is burning it self up. Like using an air compressor or welder on a long extension cord.

Three trash in the tank. Lines are clear since the pump is the first piece in the line. And since the pump has a small screen and no trash has been found its not as likely. But would still be my first guess in any case.

Four sealed fuel system is causeing vacum and killing the pumps form extra work. usally easily spotted by the sucking of air when the gas cap is removed. I am betting this is not your problem with a 73.

If i had to guess i would think the relay or switch circuit is bad and keeps burning up the pumps with too little amperage which can make them run hot and just crap out.

I would run the pump you have now with a battery connected directly and see if the pressure comes up. But this is not a real test since the pump can just have fallen off in the line and be pump gas all over the tank but not into the fuel line. This happens pretty often.

You can run a new wiring kit from the battery to the pump. With stock wire i would bet this is the issue.

Mr. Gasket Fuel Pump Relays 40H - SummitRacing.com

Now this will work with in tank and none in tank pumps. I am also going to recommend you use the ford/holley frame rail style fuel pump. it has plenty of draw and will even suck thru your stock pump in most cases. So no need to drop the tank. Do both one or the other will result in the failure of both again and just cost more money. When both will fix the problem and keep the car safe and only 21 bucks for sireing harness.

Also do you live on the east coast. I would like to look at the car. a stock vega is rare like a perfect chevette. they just went away one day and suddenly there are none to be had. Not that anyone wants a chevette but a vega can be made pretty damn fast.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:06 PM

Last photo:

fuel pump issues

Thanks for all the information. I will give all of this a try and let you know what happens. I live in north alabama a long way from the east coast. Not much to look at now. I have done all the body work but the car is still in primer surfacer. The inside needs to be cleaned up and of course the fuel pump issue has to be solved before I put the car up for sale.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:00 PM
Old & Furious

You may want to put the car on ebay and try for a few more bucks. In my area vegas are often used for drag racng and sell well. You may be able to pull a few more bucks.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:13 PM

Last journal entry: New Carb
Last photo:

I have an 84 Corvette converted to carburetors and have an external pump and have had no issues.
I just removed the pump from the tank and replaced it with a hose and secured it to the bottom of the bracket. I also installed a filter before the pump and one at the end of the hard line.
Been working for a couple of years that way.
Even used the stock electrical connection so it is only hot when the engine is running.
Just make sure its level with or below the bottom of the tank
Old 01-03-2013, 11:36 PM

Last photo:

Continuous in tank fuel pump problems?

Here is the electric fuel pump harness and relay kit I use with my Holley electric fuel pump 12-150. You can eliminate voltage problems with this harness. http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/10564/10002/-1 Be sure to use a 100 micron filter before the pump and a 40 micron filter in front before the carburetor.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.